ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone else get 1986 vibes from this team?

NewEra 2014

Jan 3, 2014
Sometimes it takes a game like we saw against USC to reveal the character of a team. I was a Senior at Penn State in 1986 and I remember Penn State needing a big 4th down conversion against Cincinnati to win that game at home. We know what happened with that 1986 team, which later went on the road and beat #2 Alabama and ND in a close game later in the season before beating Miami in the Fiesta Bowl.

The USC win was one of the best wins in the CJF era, and arguably the best true road win CJF has had since he has been at Penn State. I couldn't believe that he went for those 4th downs. I'm glad they worked out, and I'm very happy for him and for the team. Here are just a couple of other observations:

Drew Allar, regarding his interview after the game. My impression is that Allar is right in the midst of rapidly maturing as a person and a leader, and he seems like a great kid. He took a big leap in so many ways in that USC game. We may find that Allar plays at a different level for the remainder of his college career as a result of this game.

Coach AK: Enjoy this guy now, because he is going to be a very successful head coach somewhere soon. His creativity is off the charts, and he really seems to figure out ways to tailor his gameplan to the specific talents of his players. The drive early in the game reminded me of when Penn State overwhelmed Arizona in the opening game of 1999. That early USC drive only ended in a FG, but you could see the team feeding off of AK's playcalling. I expect this team to continue to get better on offense over the final few weeks of the season.

I don't expect this team to win a championship this year, but Penn State has something special going on right now. I'm going to sit back and enjoy the rest of this season unfold.

I thought of this too but I personally do not. I am very concerned about our defense. I know we tightened it up in the second half but am mindful of several calls that went out way. Two where a weird blocking below the waist thing and two were non-PI calls. Now, I think the refs let the DBs be very physical for both teams. For example, on the Warren TD where he both snapped and caught the ball, there was blatant pass interference.

Regardless, our D was ripped defending the running game and screens. tOSU has a better offense and will expose us if Allen doesn't up our D--Game.

One thing that 86 D had that we will likely never see again. A lot of seniority including 5th year SRs. We had some cowboys on that team….Trey Bauer immediately comes to mind, but they were smart and MOSTLY disciplined. That’s the reason we beat Miami. We had the experience and maturity to be able to essentially install an entirely new defensive scheme for the bowl.

One thing that 86 D had that we will likely never see again. A lot of seniority including 5th year SRs. We had some cowboys on that team….Trey Bauer immediately comes to mind, but they were smart and MOSTLY disciplined. That’s the reason we beat Miami. We had the experience and maturity to be able to essentially install an entirely new defensive scheme for the bowl.
That is a great point. In today's CFB, it will be rare to have a lot of 5th-year seniors to work with on either side of the ball.

I feel that the offense is still a bit behind what coach AK wants to do, which speaks to how the 1986 defense was able to adapt to a new scheme for the bowl. But you can see that the offense is getting there. Perhaps a more senior-laden team would have finished off drives with TDs instead of FGs against USC. But I did see some really encouraging signs of leadership on the offense on Saturday.

Reactions: JWB389
I thought of this too but I personally do not. I am very concerned about our defense. I know we tightened it up in the second half but am mindful of several calls that went out way. Two where a weird blocking below the waist thing and two were non-PI calls. Now, I think the refs let the DBs be very physical for both teams. For example, on the Warren TD where he both snapped and caught the ball, there was blatant pass interference.

Regardless, our D was ripped defending the running game and screens. tOSU has a better offense and will expose us if Allen doesn't up our D--Game.

Agreed. Statistically we had an outstanding run D going into Saturday's game, but USC mounted an effective running attack. Granted, 75 yards came on that one play in the 1st quarter but their starting RB also had a 100-yard game.

Then you look at Wisconsin, which had a 200-yard rusher on Saturday...one of those excellent backs that Wisconsin seems to specialize in.

Plus their back-up QB is showing signs of life the last couple weeks. He may be growing into the job.

I don't know much about their OL, but I assume it's pretty rugged.

Add to that a pretty crazy road atmosphere for an evening kick in Madison.

By the way, the early line has us favored by 7 points, so the initial thinking is this won't be a blow-out by any means.

Reactions: Obliviax
Agreed. Statistically we had an outstanding run D going into Saturday's game, but USC mounted an effective running attack. Granted, 75 yards came on that one play in the 1st quarter but their starting RB also had a 100-yard game.

Then you look at Wisconsin, which had a 200-yard rusher on Saturday...one of those excellent backs that Wisconsin seems to specialize in.

Plus their back-up QB is showing signs of life the last couple weeks. He may be growing into the job.

I don't know much about their OL, but I assume it's pretty rugged.

Add to that a pretty crazy road atmosphere for an evening kick in Madison.

By the way, the early line has us favored by 7 points, so the initial thinking is this won't be a blow-out by any means.
well, lets see.

They got killed by both Alabama and USC. They then came out and killed Purdue and Rutgers. I watched a little of the Rutgers game and it was competitive until Rutgers got down and had to play catchup. When that happened, they fell apart.

A friend of mine told me the other day that you don't know what you've got until you apply pressure. When you have an orange, you don't know what you've got until you squeeze it.

But to your point..Wisconsin is a physical team that is well coached. Rucci may help as the team should rally around his homecoming. Weather could be a factor in Madison in late October.

well, lets see.

They got killed by both Alabama and USC. They then came out and killed Purdue and Rutgers. I watched a little of the Rutgers game and it was competitive until Rutgers got down and had to play catchup. When that happened, they fell apart.

A friend of mine told me the other day that you don't know what you've got until you apply pressure. When you have an orange, you don't know what you've got until you squeeze it.

But to your point..Wisconsin is a physical team that is well coached. Rucci may help as the team should rally around his homecoming. Weather could be a factor in Madison in late October.

Yeah, Wisconsin's wheels came off against Alabama when they lost their starting QB early. Immediately changed the tenor of the game.

USC, meanwhile, is...don't laugh...the best 3-loss team in the country. I mean, they're just a few ball bounces and zebra calls away from being unbeaten. Plus Wisconsin was leading that game by 11...in LA...at the half.

Rutgers had only one loss before being blown out by the Badgers while Purdue played a good Illinois team very close.

I realize...all of these facts plus a couple bucks will get you a coffee at Starbucks.

My point is that Wisconsin appears to be capable of putting up a fight against us...especially in Madison.

We'll see how they do at Northwestern this week.

Sorry, I'm one of those Nervous Nellies that some here laugh at. I just think we better go into Madison not looking ahead to the following week's game. I'm confident the coaches won't be...and will make sure the players aren't either.

Reactions: Obliviax
Yeah, Wisconsin's wheels came off against Alabama when they lost their starting QB early. Immediately changed the tenor of the game.

USC, meanwhile, is...don't laugh...the best 3-loss team in the country. I mean, they're just a few ball bounces and zebra calls away from being unbeaten. Plus Wisconsin was leading that game by 11...in LA...at the half.

Rutgers had only one loss before being blown out by the Badgers while Purdue played a good Illinois team very close.

I realize...all of these facts plus a couple bucks will get you a coffee at Starbucks.

My point is that Wisconsin appears to be capable of putting up a fight against us...especially in Madison.

We'll see how they do at Northwestern this week.

Sorry, I'm one of those Nervous Nellies that some here laugh at. I just think we better go into Madison not looking ahead to the following week's game. I'm confident the coaches won't be...and will make sure the players aren't either.
I agree with you. Away games are always scary against good teams. Plus, it is after a bye week and we don't play well the week after bye's for whatever reason. They key is stopping the run against them.

Their QB is completing 60% of his passes with a QBR of 132. Allar is over 70% with a QBR of almost 176.

They've run for 1159 yards versus our 1207. They have a 4.8 YPC average to our 5.2.

Probably unfair to compare USC stats but:

• 289 total yards versus our 518
  • Gave up 469 total yard to SC to our 409
  • Gave up 161 rushing to our 189
  • SC had 3 turnovers to Wiscy's 2. SC had one against us while we gave up 2 (3 officially, but one was the Hail Mary INT)
  • Both games were at LA. Wiscy was winning by 11 as you said, at halftime while we trailed by 14.

Reactions: Jerry
They also had 6 weeks to prep for the Fiesta Bowl, also a situation that will never happen again.

I get more 1994 vibes than 1986 vibes...exciting and productive offense getting better and more confident as the season progresses, with a serviceable defense that "gets the job done." We will never know whether the 1994 team would've beaten Nebraska, had they played - all I can say is that that 1994 PSU defense "took no prisoners."

This isn't Barry's Wisconsin. The 200 yard rusher vs Rutgers is an anomaly until they do it again. It's like the post-Illinois "is the OL as good as '94?" posts. Way premature, very likely matchup dependent.

Phil Longo strives for balance in his Air Raid, but prior to Rutgers they were only successful passing mostly. Be interesting to see how they do vs NW this weekend while we are on the bye.

The vibes from this team are much closer to 1982 than 1986. They find a way but are imperfect both offensively and defensively.

To get there though they had better get Singleton healthy. Hopefully the bye helps.

This year's team doesn't have LBs like Conlan, Bauer, and Giftopolous. They also don't have the discipline those guys had. But you never know. That's why they play the games.

During the game when we were down by two scores on the road, I remembered Joe's quote, "You learn more about your team when they face adversity than when things are going well." We passed that test on Saturday.

Reactions: NewEra 2014
Thinking about the season on the whole...it's really going to be unlike any we've ever seen. Almost impossible to compare what we're about to do and face with any other season...here's why.

This is going to be more like the NFL where it's two seasons in one.

You'll have the regular season...do we go 11-1 and make the Big Ten title game? Win or lose there...we're still in the playoff.
But my goodness...that's a gauntlet! And we're either Big Ten runner-ups (hopefully) or we're Big Ten champs. But wow...what a stretch.

Then...you might have four--count 'em--FOUR playoff games. Dec 21 on a college campus...Jan 1 in a classic bowl...Jan 9-10 in a semifinal bowl...and then Jan 20 in the national title game!?!?! That's insane. Perhaps 17 games...and you have to win...what?!?1...15 of them probably AT LEAST, if not 16. Talk about a war of attrition.

I know the college competition isn't the same as the NFL week in and week out...but talk about a need for good luck and low injuries...

You almost wonder if there will be an advantage to NOT make your conference championship game to spare you the pre-playoff rigor of one more elite foe!!!! Yes, the winner gets a bye in round 1 and 3 weeks off...but the 3rd place team in the SEC/Big Ten gets an extra week before round 1.

Reactions: NewEra 2014
Thinking about the season on the whole...it's really going to be unlike any we've ever seen. Almost impossible to compare what we're about to do and face with any other season...here's why.

This is going to be more like the NFL where it's two seasons in one.

You'll have the regular season...do we go 11-1 and make the Big Ten title game? Win or lose there...we're still in the playoff.
But my goodness...that's a gauntlet! And we're either Big Ten runner-ups (hopefully) or we're Big Ten champs. But wow...what a stretch.

Then...you might have four--count 'em--FOUR playoff games. Dec 21 on a college campus...Jan 1 in a classic bowl...Jan 9-10 in a semifinal bowl...and then Jan 20 in the national title game!?!?! That's insane. Perhaps 17 games...and you have to win...what?!?1...15 of them probably AT LEAST, if not 16. Talk about a war of attrition.

I know the college competition isn't the same as the NFL week in and week out...but talk about a need for good luck and low injuries...

You almost wonder if there will be an advantage to NOT make your conference championship game to spare you the pre-playoff rigor of one more elite foe!!!! Yes, the winner gets a bye in round 1 and 3 weeks off...but the 3rd place team in the SEC/Big Ten gets an extra week before round 1.
This is a great take. It may end up being like the MLB playoffs, where a bye isn’t necessarily a good thing. Maybe Penn State playing Army in the first round and then moving on to the Fiesta Bowl against Oregon is better than not playing in the first round and then playing the Sugar Bowl against an Alabama team that is coming off a win against BYU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT