ADVERTISEMENT

Durkin placed on administrative leave....

Pretty pervasive.
Well, it appears to be a chronic and consistent lack of institutional control by conference members with no corresponding action from the conference commissioner about any of these crimes. The self-same commissioner who was so happy to quickly comment and judge THE Pennsylvania State University in 2011-2012 prior to any court action or due process. Add in Mr. Emmert and the NCAA with the same accusation.

I believe this is a lack of member control by a conference which is a far-ranging and serious charge that requires immediate suspension of all parties involved including Mr. Delaney, Emmert, Presidents of Univ's involved in said scandals, all V.P's, Directors reporting in line to a sport involved, etc. and All Head Coaches of any sports where charges have been brought in any of the scandals listed so many times already in this thread.

Nip it, nip it in the bud.

Unless you want to count Delaney rooting for PSU not to get into the NCAA playoffs. He screwed us that year but it also cost O$U a bid last year.
That plan backfired on him big time didn't it. In their haste, they set a precedent that put their own league in a bind, as a result, they suffered a rare loss for one of their two motherships.

that, had to hurt.

The whole Durkin and Court issue reminds me of Bobby Knight's incidents. I had to look them up just to job my memory. I remember when Knight was going thru his thing some of my friends who had played CYO basketball saying effectively "... oh kids today are just not used to having a tough disciplinarian as a coach". I dunno ... there's a line between disciplinarian and nut job.

https://www.chron.com/sports/colleg...of-incidents-involving-Bob-Knight-1849372.php

Reactions: BBrown
The whole Durkin and Court issue reminds me of Bobby Knight's incidents. I had to look them up just to job my memory. I remember when Knight was going thru his thing some of my friends who had played CYO basketball saying effectively "... oh kids today are just not used to having a tough disciplinarian as a coach". I dunno ... there's a line between disciplinarian and nut job.

https://www.chron.com/sports/colleg...of-incidents-involving-Bob-Knight-1849372.php
Well, maybe; no doubt Knight was tough on kids, sometimes unfair, but I don't recall a player of his dying as a result.

Not to mention Knight produced some great teams and won championships.

Reactions: bhs31smz
Is he though? Right now, one of the largest cable providers has removed the network from their offerings, and isn’t planning on bringing it back, unless Delaney gets off his high horse. Don’t you think Comcast will be using these scandals to keep their offer low?

Uh, the Big Ten has media rights contracts with both the BTN and Fox, neither of which are contingent on the carriage fees paid by Comcast (or any other carrier). So Comcast could, indeed, low-ball what it pays for the BTN, but the Big Ten still collects its $110mm+ p.a. The only thing that would obviate that is the BTN going bankrupt.

No one died at Maryland because the coach was tough on kids, either.

Someone died at Maryland because the training staff didn't do their job

If Maryland is like most schools, the training staff works for the head coach, just like ACs do. The HC is accountable for their job performance, particularly if behavior is persistent.

Reactions: royboy
That plan backfired on him big time didn't it. In their haste, they set a precedent that put their own league in a bind, as a result, they suffered a rare loss for one of their two motherships.

that, had to hurt.
I would love to see PSU win the conference, but if they don't I hope O$U gets left out of the playoffs again.

Are you serious?? The whole “drag his ass across the field” mentality didn’t come from the training staff. That’s a culture that comes from the top down, and it directly impacted McNair’s death.

They could have dragged his ass across the field right to training facilities to get him properly cooled off while medics came.

I played a little high school basketball back in the early 70s. The coach would use a drink of water (or deprivation of such) as motivation for performance during practice. He was also a gym teacher at the school, so I would assume he had the training required for child physical development. I can still remember the thirst, and being forced to do more sprints at the end of practice if the previous ones were not fast enough. Being indoors I never felt anything was life-threatening, but it is just one of many examples of the incredible ignorance of the day as seen through today's glasses. How will things like the sport of football itself be viewed 50 years from now? Time will tell.

Actually in this case the toxic negative coaching style may have been directly related to the player not getting the medical intervention he needed to save his life.

That's why this is such an awful case.

The BTN commentators Dinardo and Howard were actually quite blunt about how serious this is, said humiliating players is just not ok.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
Actually in this case the toxic negative coaching style may have been directly related to the player not getting the medical intervention he needed to save his life.

I'm sure that would be a significant part of the argument that the family's lawyers could present in court. Expect a massive settlement, or this will get ugly.

Strong statement from the AD. Can't see how Durkin keeps his job.

"Dear Terps, I am extremely concerned by the allegations of unacceptable behaviors by members of our football staff detailed in recent media reports. We are committed to fully investigating the program," athletic director Damon Evans said in a statement, in part.

"The external review into the tragic death of Jordan McNair continues, and we have committed to releasing publicly the report being prepared by an independent and national expert. The safety and well-being of our student-athletes is our highest priority. These alleged behaviors are not consistent with the values I expect all of our staff to adhere to and we must do better. You will be hearing from me as our work continues to rebuild the culture of respect in our football program."

Weight of evidence against

Durkin’s Do Nots?​

Are you serious?? The whole “drag his ass across the field” mentality didn’t come from the training staff. That’s a culture that comes from the top down, and it directly impacted McNair’s death.
"..from the top top down ..." Chancellor Caret? President Loh? AD Evans? Durkin?

They could have dragged his ass across the field right to training facilities to get him properly cooled off while medics came.
Was it clear that he was [not?] being dragged to the training facility versus something else? The detailed sequence of events is unclear to me.

I haven't read all the info but scanned the responses here and await more info to come. At this point it damning to the staff who were present. Each player/student is an individual and each is unique. They are susceptible to varying levels of stress and weakness of different stressors. To put an equal basis on each person as if we are all alike is not a wise thing to do and results in disaster. An avoidable tragedy of the instilled culture present within the program. Who instilled the culture? Tongue in cheek.

Was it clear that he was [not?] being dragged to the training facility versus something else? The detailed sequence of events is unclear to me.

The quote was attributed to being dragged to the end of the sprint.

I played a little high school basketball back in the early 70s. The coach would use a drink of water (or deprivation of such) as motivation for performance during practice. He was also a gym teacher at the school, so I would assume he had the training required for child physical development. I can still remember the thirst, and being forced to do more sprints at the end of practice if the previous ones were not fast enough. Being indoors I never felt anything was life-threatening, but it is just one of many examples of the incredible ignorance of the day as seen through today's glasses. How will things like the sport of football itself be viewed 50 years from now? Time will tell.

Ugh. I remember ‘the thinking’ on water intake changing at my old high school during the late ‘80’s. It went from water deprivation and water makes u cramp up, to drink often/hydrate. I remember feeling fairly dizzy, totally parched, and having some headaches durig the former times (at fball practice)

I'll be more specific. He did how many sprints on his own? If <10 did two trainers "enable" him through more "sprints"? Or immediately to, say, an outdoor bench, or to the training facility? I don't think that the ESPN articles answers these questions.

He got the PSU info wrong. Ultimately no wins were lost. Could use some info from ChiTownLion.

Looks like he has primarily been an SEC writer. Also worked at ESPN during the events. ESPN was perhaps the worst media outlet, with their barrage of false claims. ESPN also has a conflict of interest with the SEC. Hmmm...

Author Bio:
I have written about college athletics in newspapers and online since 2004, including a stint at ESPN.com from 2011-17. I primarily wrote about Southeastern Conference football at ESPN and have worked as a beat writer covering LSU, Georgia, Auburn and NCAA Division II Columbus State University. I also served as the sports editor of the Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald prior to joining ESPN.

Last edited:
"..from the top top down ..." Chancellor Caret? President Loh? AD Evans? Durkin?

I posted in another thread that I would not be surprised if the entire staff has to go. How does anyone survive if the program culture was a major contributing factor in the death of a player?

What happens if Maryland has to shut down their football program for a year or two?

I posted in another thread that I would not be surprised if the entire staff has to go. How does anyone survive if the program culture was a major contributing factor in the death of a player?

What happens if Maryland has to shut down their football program for a year or two?
Not happening. I think Maryland has 3 or 4 first year assistants on staff. Durkin is done, no doubt. They are in for some very lean years.

urban is in trouble at Tosu. He had a known wife beater on his staff. durkin came from meyer’s staff at Tosu. kevin wilson was hired by urban at Tosu after being fired at indiana for mistreating players. What the hell is going on in columbus? :eek:

CULTURE. :eek:

TOXIC. :eek:

I read the ESPN article and yea it goes way past even "nut job"
If even half of what they say is true Durkin is done as a football coach.
He had been recruiting really well the last 2 years but this years class is short on "stars" and commits. It sounds like word got out to the recruits and they crossed MD off their list.
I heard on the radio, this morning, that one of their kids has already decommitted because of this.

read the ESPN article and yea it goes way past even "nut job"
If even half of what they say is true Durkin is done as a football coach.

This sounds like a classic ESPN created narrative to me. Yes, the kid died, and it's a tragedy. Now ESPN comes in and has to turn that tragedy into a grand tale of another football program's toxic culture as the culprit. I am skeptical.

Bullying tactics used by football coaches??? Is that a joke? If you think stuff like that doesn't go on at every program in the country, you are kidding yourself. Hell, that stuff goes on at the Pop Warner level. "Coach calls people names, and he's really mean! That's why McNair died!!" Not buying it, ESPN.

I may have bought this story pre-Sandusky scandal. Not fooling me this time.

This sounds like a classic ESPN created narrative to me. Yes, the kid died, and it's a tragedy. Now ESPN comes in and has to turn that tragedy into a grand tale of another football program's toxic culture as the culprit. I am skeptical.

Bullying tactics used by football coaches??? Is that a joke? If you think stuff like that doesn't go on at every program in the country, you are kidding yourself. Hell, that stuff goes on at the Pop Warner level. "Coach calls people names, and he's really mean! That's why McNair died!!" Not buying it, ESPN.

I may have bought this story pre-Sandusky scandal. Not fooling me this time.
No, McNair died because he suffered from heatstroke and due to the culture instilled by the coaching staff, the training staff ignored the signs until it was too late. What part aren’t you buying?? Do you think they’re making this shit up?

Again, I ask, from my previous response in this thread: how high? Chancellor Caret? President Loh? AD Evans?
"What ... for a year or two?" About the same odds as PSU shutting down for a year or two.
"... if the entire staff has to go." Not gonna happen. In two weeks they're going to have a new staff for the Texas game? I don't think so.
Let's make a distinction here. The Medical staff? (Robinson), the S&C staff (Court), and the football staff (Durkin). The first two report to Durkin. (Why doesn't the medical staff report to the AD?) As I recall the football staff was not supposed to be there. (Were they?) If not, other than Durkin, how do you fire them? ("Program Culture"? Right now it is not that obvious.)
Timeline update at https://www.testudotimes.com/maryla...-maryland-football-workout-timeline-dj-durkin

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT