ADVERTISEMENT

Football Elite 2026 RB Messiah Mickens discusses commitment to Penn State

Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Jun 14, 2020
oowg1cgsm3qeacvzid2m

On Saturday evening, Penn State made a huge splash early in the 2026 recruiting cycle by landing 5-foot-10, 196-pound running back Messiah Mickens out of Trinity in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania.

Mickens is a major early recruiting victory for the Nittany Lions in the 2026 cycle, as the elite running back / athlete chose the Nittany Lions over offers from Alabama, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia. More offers will certainly flow in for Mickens between now and the end of his high school career.

Shortly after his commitment on Saturday night, Happy Valley Insider caught up with the star running back to learn more about his commitment to the Nittany Lions.

"The family part, they always treat them well," is what Mickens told Happy Valley Insider on what was one of the biggest reasons he ultimately picked the Nittany Lions. That sentiment echoed much of what Mickens told HVI back in May, coming off an unofficial visit.

"They always treat me with care, making sure that my family is right, things like that; just treat me like it's home down there. Just keep on recruiting me and things like that. Make sure my family feels welcome down there as well," he said in May.

"Them being close to home helps my family come to more games," he also said about making his commitment. "Even to the education, I'm blessed to have great role models, and they all come from Penn State and are very successful," he added.

Mickens received his offer from Penn State back in January after completing his freshman season at Trinity. From the moment the Nittany Lions offered, it appeared that they would be the favorite despite the likes of Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, and others being involved.

He's already made multiple official visits to Penn State over the course of the last year and will likely be a frequent face on campus over the next few years. "Honestly, everything stands out when I visited," he said. "Like how they treat each other and how they are a family in State College."

"They were pumped when I told them," Mickens said about him informing the Penn State coaching staff of his decision. "They just said to keep working because the job isn't finished."

The Trinity standout is also going to be proactive on the recruiting trail for the Nittany Lions in the 2026 recruiting cycle. Two names that he immediately brought up when it came to peer recruiting were 2026 wideout Elias Coke out of Harrisburg and 2025 wide receiver Lex Cyrus out of Susquehanna Township.

As a freshman for Trnty last season, Mickens rushed for 961 yards and 18 touchdowns on 123 carries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News