ADVERTISEMENT

Evaluating the Disappointment of Saturday

cookerly77

Gold Member
Aug 7, 2007
I said I was I going to take a break but I can't. Here are my thoughts about the team.
1. The coaches are great talent evaluators but still obviously lack the in-game management to push the team to elite status. The good news is that can be learned.
2. The players need to execute better and make plays and they did not make the plays.
3. The biggest issue that I see is the inability to adjust and put players in positions to help them make plays based on each players strengths and weaknesses. This is especially true in critical situations.

Examples:
Parsons should be the free lance blitzer on 3rd and long with the other backers dropping to cover the intermediate zone. Cam is long and can get in passing lanes but he can be blocked on the rush easily because of his frame. Parsons has the feel on where to go from.
Play Parsons over Koa now that the playoffs are gone. He needs to learn.
Try another kicker who does not look like they are going to soil themselves on every attempt.
Try incorporating a screen game to the different skill positions.
Use the speed and agility of Polk and Hamler better in space with their routes, sweeps, bubble screens, motions, etc. We don't use them enough in different ways to present a different look or threat.
Stop having Juwan run fades or crossing routes when he clearly has tracking issues. He should run slants, outs, and hitches which play to his strength.
Try running more than three running plays.
Run the Lion Package when we are struggling to move the ball and also use it as match-up problem in the redzone.
Move the pocket to help the line and Trace. This would change the pass rush lanes and angles and slow down the rush more.
Maybe realize the threat coming from the opponents offense and adjust for it. ie. double cover the guy who is killing you.
Play to win by dominating and not by playing it safe or conservative. The players can sense it too.

And .. I'm done. I got my thoughts off my hairy chest and fat belly. Hopefully the team can respond and the coaches can adjust too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News