ADVERTISEMENT

Ever wonder why there are so many knee injuries ?

That brings up another question. Especially the way they treat starting pitchers today, how in the world do you explain Nolan Ryan?
Kids play one sport all year from very young age and they break down from over using same muscles etc over and over. Ryan was multi sport athlete in high school

Reactions: RickinDayton
Recently, while rummaging through my attic, I found a 1976 NFL preview book I had purchased. Out of curiosity, I started browsing through the rosters, checking to see who the heaviest lineman was at that time. Surprisingly, the heaviest lineman in the league weighed 270 lbs. With most linemen today well over 300, I think the problem is possibly the knees are not able to support that weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Recently, while rummaging through my attic, I found a 1976 NFL preview book I had purchased. Out of curiosity, I started browsing through the rosters, checking to see who the heaviest lineman was at that time. Surprisingly, the heaviest lineman in the league weighed 270 lbs. I believe if you look today, I think 300l linemen a
This is the issue. Derrick Henry is 6’3” 250 and runs a 4.5 40. Many linebackers and pass rushers are even bigger and just as fast. The human body can only take so much.

That brings up another question. Especially the way they treat starting pitchers today, how in the world do you explain Nolan Ryan?

Ryan was an iron machine. I suspect he put surprisingly little effort compared to other pitchers when it came to throwing the ball. His routine after pitching consisted of lifting and cardio immediately afterwards, even after his no hitters. I still remember the poor soul who charged his mound getting clobbered rather easily. While we marveled out how hard he threw the ball, so much of his delivery came from his lower body.

Reactions: Kasparaitis
My nephew played high school and college football (D3) and suffered two knee injuries. One was contact related the other no contact....but both on artificial turf. The type with long fake blades and filled with the plastic pellets. I think that type of turf has led to more injuries.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT