• Jason Nolf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aaron Brooks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mcpat

Gold Member
Mar 13, 2021
Since this is receiving so much discussion… who is or has been the face of PSU Wrestling?

Apologies to Nick Lee and RBY who would have also been choices had the forum allowed more choices.

It would be interesting to talk with Zain, since he was a true freshman when DT and Ed Ruth were here. Did he come because of either of those two or because of Cael? My money's on Cael.

Reactions: PSUer1989 and mcpat
Definitely Starocci. He is going to be a 5 timer and your best wrestler to ever do it

Definitely Starocci. He is going to be a 5 timer and your best wrestler to ever do it
Season 4 Troll GIF by Living Single

Who do you consider to be the face of Iowa wrestling?

Gable? Brands? Spencer Lee? Someone else?

Last edited:
Who do you consider the face of Iowa wrestling?

Gable? Brands? Spencer Lee? Someone else?
Silly rabbit. Everybody knows it is Gary Kurdelmeier. The man behind Iowa's first two championships, the oversized mat to take advantage of Iowa's superior conditioning to embarrass a rugged Oklahomer Sooner team, the hiring of Dan Gable and the teaching Gable how to coach.
Without Kurdelmeier there is no Hawkeye Gable, no Hawkeye Brands and no Hawkeye Spencer.

Gable is Iowa wrestling, I don't think anyone has more name recognition than he does.

The answer is obviously Cael but let's say it can't be coaches.

DT is viewed as the pioneer. He was the big commit for Cael that signaled PSU wrestling will get those type of wrestlers.

That being said, I remember in the early days, Quentin Wright was talked about almost as much, at least in the biggest moments. Maybe it was his uncanny ability to look like a R16 wrestler every Fall before turning into a champion by March. Revisionist history will forget Q sometimes unfortunately but let's not forget, Q had the original win an individual title for yourself and the team moment.

The torch is always passed. In 2016-2019, Zain, Nolf, Nickal took over. In 2021, Carter and Aaron took over and now, we're seeing Levi, Mitch start the transition and I anticipate if Luke Lilledahl has the season many expect, it'll be him very soon (especially with PSU 125 curse being broken)

Reactions: mcpat and AgSurfer
AJ was almost the future face of Iowa wrestling. No matter, the double birds splits will live on forever. :)

It's hard to argue Gable not being the permanent face of Iowa wrestling forevermore.

Had Spencer won 4 he might have taken over and I have a feeling he might just be the future face after some world medals once he moves to the coaching ranks at Iowa.

For now I am good with Tom sticking his tongue out while twisting his shoe.

This should be an easy choice. if you eliminate Cael, the rest don't matter because there never would have been a PSU run of championships without Cael

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT