ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Movie Theme Songs

Watched a favorite over the weekend. For me
Moon River - Henry Mancini - Breakfast at Tiffany's
Windmills of your mind - Noel Harrison - Thomas Crown Affair Original/Steve Mc Queen)
What are some other favorites?

What do you consider a 'theme song'? A lot of songs listed here are songs played, sometimes significantly, during certain movie scenes, and others are actual 'theme' songs (or original songs) for the movie. I'll go with:

- To Sir With Love, To Sir With Love
- Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do), Arthur
- Call Me, American Gigolo
- Flashdance (What A Feeling), Flashdance

Reactions: brupsu and BBrown
Irene Cara's "What a Feeling" was a big hit...

giphy.gif

Reactions: brupsu
Anyone remember the "Jericho Mile" made for tv movie, starring Peter Strauss? (guy from Rich Man Poor Man). Booking around the prison track with "Sympathy for the Devil" pounding by the Stones.

Can't believe that movie entered my mind after reading this thread, but at the time, made me lace up the shoes and go running.

Windmills of your mind - Noel Harrison - Thomas Crown Affair Original/Steve Mc Queen)

Does Jaws count?...

Shaft
Skyfall
Goldfinger
Pink Panther
Rocky

Cannot believe no one has gone with the classic "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman" from FROZEN.... sheesh!
I kid obviously, but if you had young kids at home when this came out, you probably wanted to slit your throat.
But now, if you know, its stuck in your head...… you're welcome....lol

There are some great picks in here for real. Some I had forgotten about...

Last edited:
geez...some of you are talking about songs, and others about musical scores.

If talking Hans Zimmer, I would go with the music at the end of True Romance.

And if talking about Vikings...the music at the end of the Kirk Douglas movie where his funeral boat/pyre is drifting away.

Going by the list of songs, what do you think is the average age of the people posting in this thread?

I'll go with 54.

Almost all of the James Bond movies would work here.

I think curating music for a film is a rare talent - some directors are amazing at it though - Tarantino, Wes Anderson, and Paul Thomas Anderson are standouts.

Clip 1 - Kill Bill - Showdown at the House of Blue Leaves
Song: Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (Santa Esmeralda)
Comment: The hand claps start right as O Ren takes her first step in the snow - love it!

Clip 2 - Rushmore - Revenge Montage
Song: A Quick One While He's Away (The Who)
Comment: So nonchalant - the slo mo and putting the gum on the wall are the best.

Clip 3 - Magnolia - 'Wise Up' Scene
Song: Wise Up (Aimee Mann)
Comment: There's a lot of music in this film, but it's unexpected and cool how he sort of makes the song a part of the dialogue of characters.

So many great tunes already mentioned! I didn't notice The Magnificent Seven which is a classic in my mind. Soundtracks from Gettysburg and many more drive the emotional impact of so many great movies I can't begin to name them and I wish I could. When you hear them it takes you back to a place or the theme of the movie itself. Music has this remarkable impact on the human mind.

Reactions: brupsu and BBrown
I think curating music for a film is a rare talent - some directors are amazing at it though - Tarantino, Wes Anderson, and Paul Thomas Anderson are standouts.

Clip 1 - Kill Bill - Showdown at the House of Blue Leaves
Song: Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (Santa Esmeralda)
Comment: The hand claps start right as O Ren takes her first step in the snow - love it!

Clip 2 - Rushmore - Revenge Montage
Song: A Quick One While He's Away (The Who)
Comment: So nonchalant - the slo mo and putting the gum on the wall are the best.

Clip 3 - Magnolia - 'Wise Up' Scene
Song: Wise Up (Aimee Mann)
Comment: There's a lot of music in this film, but it's unexpected and cool how he sort of makes the song a part of the dialogue of characters.

Wes Anderson has excellent music in his films.

Warning: Following clip is NSFW.

The best and most appropos:
2001 A Space Odyssey, "Also Sprach Zarathustra" by Richard Strauss

There's one.

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

After that, make a list.

But I will give honorable mention to the Love Story theme and anything Mancini touched.

1. theme from The Magnificent Seven

theme from The Graduate

3. all 3 Shirley Bassey Bond songs: "Goldfinger," Moonraker," and "Diamonds Are Forever"

4. theme from Valley of the Dolls

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT