ADVERTISEMENT

FC: ESPN takes on Penn State once again

Isn't that the way it is these days? If you're not a victim then you are nobody.
yep. my brother call is the "victim industry". I always tell people, that once you are over age 30, you can no longer blame anything that happened in school or college. Time to move on.

Ricky Gervais, in his standup, asks "when did your problems become my problems?"

The end where they recorded the phone call to Sandusky from prison was interesting but not really insightful, claiming innocence and the only way to exonerate Joe was to exonerate Jerry.
Only because of the way the narrative has been written. Joe and Jerry's paths should have been separate all along. What Jerry did or didn't do is one thing, but should have little bearing on Joe's culpability since he didn't see anything and received second hand reports. What matters regarding Joe and PSU's potential culpability is what they were told, primarily by McQueary since he was the whistleblower. But the general public has a hard time separating the two, and the media coverage going after the big fish in PSU and Paterno didn't help.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
the media coverage going after the big fish in PSU and Paterno didn't help.

Because the university served them up on a silver platter thinking the quicker everyone was thrown under the bus and gone the sooner the story would die and everyone would move on. I'm sure crisis management firms have used the school's response as a case study in how not to react to scandals.

IMO the article tries paint the picture that Paterno somehow could have stopped Hodne earlier. That seems to be crap.

I don’t know from the article that Paterno knew players were going to the preliminary hearing in support of Hodne - of course Hodne was entitled to the presumption of innocence and support of his friends and teammates at that point.

Once it was clear he was guilty it is also clear Paterno had less than zero interest in helping and in fact could be accused of witness tampering in the opposite direction in his statement that Hodne was guilty and the threat that if the player testified on his behalf he’d be off the team - a threat he apparently followed through with.

To me, the article wants to imply that Paterno’s call to Karen was to intimidate her but the only quote we got was, “Are you OK?” IMO hardly intimidating but I have no experience as a female victim of sexual assault.

I try not to be an apologist for Joe as I think he did what he should have but also believe he should have asked more questions or simply said, “I don’t want that guy around campus, period.” His referral to supervisors and hands off approach, while probably appropriate, seems short of what his true influence was.
Those are reasonable thoughts. It's the not knowing of how much Paterno knew or didn't about JS over the years that's got everyone turning on each other. A grown man doesn't just all of a sudden wake up one day and begin molesting underage people. JS had been in and around that program for nearly 40 years even if he wasn't committing crimes every day, week or year, he'd been doing it at least off and on for a long time and when you've been at the same place for that long of a time, people know things--and they talk. That's how journalists have a job and those things get back to people. It's just hard to believe Paterno didn't know, or at least hear rumors about JS over the years. I'd bet the assistant coaches over the years knew/know things and are not talking to protect the program still.

But Paterno did do what he was supposed to do but like you said, he had influence, maybe not over the entire school, but that program was his and the take the public has on him, for which he is responsible for building up, is that he knew what was going on about everything.
Like the other guy said up above, Paterno selfishly stayed on too long thereby, putting himself above the program as the years went on and put the program above all else. It doesn't make any sense for school officials to give JS the keys to the house after all those years. There's just too many unanswered questions and that's why articles like that are written. Especially after JS retired when he did, when many felt it was before his time to do so.

Two years after Sandusky the NCAA completed a big study on what coaches should do when faced with an allegation. The result? The coach should report it to his or her boss and somebody else outside the sports vertical structure. That is exactly what Joe did in the Sandusky situation. What is a bigger question is why I didn’t the witness call somebody that night. Because once the victim became unknown, there was not much else to be done. MM clearly states he didn’t actually see a crime committed
That's not what he said, unless he's talking about actual body parts, etc. But he clearly saw something that was inappropriate and illegal or he wouldn't have gone to Paterno in the first place. And Paterno corroborated it by acknowledging how upset MM was. We know he saw something going on with a young boy so why deny it?

That's not what he said, unless he's talking about actual body parts, etc. But he clearly saw something that was inappropriate and illegal or he wouldn't have gone to Paterno in the first place. And Paterno corroborated it by acknowledging how upset MM was. We know he saw something going on with a young boy so why deny it?
Which version of mcq’s story are you referring to?

why was McQ so wishy washy about telling his story?

why did McQ wait six weeks to report anything?

Those are reasonable thoughts. It's the not knowing of how much Paterno knew or didn't about JS over the years that's got everyone turning on each other. A grown man doesn't just all of a sudden wake up one day and begin molesting underage people. JS had been in and around that program for nearly 40 years even if he wasn't committing crimes every day, week or year, he'd been doing it at least off and on for a long time and when you've been at the same place for that long of a time, people know things--and they talk. That's how journalists have a job and those things get back to people. It's just hard to believe Paterno didn't know, or at least hear rumors about JS over the years. I'd bet the assistant coaches over the years knew/know things and are not talking to protect the program still.

But Paterno did do what he was supposed to do but like you said, he had influence, maybe not over the entire school, but that program was his and the take the public has on him, for which he is responsible for building up, is that he knew what was going on about everything.
Like the other guy said up above, Paterno selfishly stayed on too long thereby, putting himself above the program as the years went on and put the program above all else. It doesn't make any sense for school officials to give JS the keys to the house after all those years. There's just too many unanswered questions and that's why articles like that are written. Especially after JS retired when he did, when many felt it was before his time to do so.
Had Joe "heard" or “known” about Jerry when he was his employee, he’d have done exactly as Joe did in every other situation involving someone affiliated with his program, which is to take what he believed to be the correct action. Had McQueary told Joe of a sexual assault or any other illegal activity, Joe would have done exactly as he’d done in every other situation when presented with such information, which is to take what he believe to be the correct action. .

We have a significant sample size of who Joe Paterno was and how Joe Paterno conducted himself. What he knew about Sandusky is only a mystery if you want it to be. And as for the notion that "he stayed too long and therefore deserved what he got?" All I can say is that is some seriously next-level false equivocating.

Last edited:
…and he did exactly as he should have done by ncaa regs then and now

Dude- If you seriously think Joseph Vincent Paterno would cover up for Sandusky (or anyone else) for child molestation (or anything else), you simply don’t know how these things occur and you certainly do not know Joe Paterno. Go find another hobby.

Dude- If you seriously think Joseph Vincent Paterno would cover up for Sandusky (or anyone else) for child molestation (or anything else), you simply don’t know how these things occur and you certainly do not know Joe Paterno. Go find another hobby.
No, I really don't think he did. He certainly wouldn't have for something he knew/saw for a fact. And I don't think he cared one lick about Hodne or Sandusky. It was about the program and protecting it. But the problem is things that happened that were never taken care of. I believe in the two phone calls from the 70s. It contained detail. Then absolutely nothing in the 80s until the investigation in the late 90s? I don't buy it. i just don't think JP's generation could understand or contemplate something like that and/or didn't want to believe the rumors I'm sure he heard. But the thing is, if things got back to him, they certainly got back to PSU brass. I think they let everyone down.

I only saw the second half hour. I'm not sure what the first half hour portrayed, but the second half was hardly a "Paterno Legacy".

Random thoughts from what i recall seeing
  • ESPN did Paterno's legacy no favor's. how about some interviews with players who recall the man Paterno was such as the funeral tributes speeches from MRob, Cefalo and others?
  • I agree CJF came across terribly.
  • Aaron Fisher... In a Paterno legacy show? WTF? That was uncalled for, unnecessary and completely below the belt. Aaron Fisher still cannot tell the truth and look a person in the eye when speaking about his alleged abuse. and give me a break with the crocodile tears and the supposed house of horrors in Sandusky's basement.
  • Matt Millen... He puzzles me. He said he'd match Joe up against anyone for honor and respect, yet in the past he has not defended Paterno nearly enough.
  • Tom Kline - he's just a scummy ambulance abuse chaser.
  • What his name - Howard Bryant? I think the next comments I ever agree with will the first time I ever agree with him.
Paterno was a great man. He was unjustly crucified. I believe JoePa would have accepted that just as Jesus did. It still does not make it right. It still does not make it fair.
Geez buddy this is way over the top. Joe got fired. I didn't agree with it. It has been 10 years I let this go a long time ago. No one is changing their opinion at this point.

No, I really don't think he did. He certainly wouldn't have for something he knew/saw for a fact. And I don't think he cared one lick about Hodne or Sandusky. It was about the program and protecting it. But the problem is things that happened that were never taken care of. I believe in the two phone calls from the 70s. It contained detail. Then absolutely nothing in the 80s until the investigation in the late 90s? I don't buy it. i just don't think JP's generation could understand or contemplate something like that and/or didn't want to believe the rumors I'm sure he heard. But the thing is, if things got back to him, they certainly got back to PSU brass. I think they let everyone down.
On the other hand if he did more than he did, you’d be the first yelling that he should just coach and stay in his lane. A football coach isn’ta detective or prosecutor. They should report it, tell the truth and get out of the way. And that is what he did

Obli didn't want to post it but I do. This bitch should be fired!

Jessica Gall Myrick, PhD
@JessMyrick professor @PSUBellisario
, studies media effects, emotions, & health/enviro comm. pug lover, see
State College, PAbellisario.psu.edu/people/individ…

Whew. I'm just glad nobody is overreacting to some PSU professor's opinion!

Aside from the immaturity of calling this person a b****, demanding her firing because she expressed an opinion that you don't agree with is peak "cancel culture".

Aside from the immaturity of calling this person a b****, demanding her firing because she expressed an opinion that you don't agree with is peak "cancel culture".
It's easy to see where you stand on this issue. Perhaps you could try to understand the damage done to Penn State from this 12 year old fiasco. Both the scarring of the Universities reputation and the financial hardships that are still going on as a result of allowing the Media to destroy much of what we were most proud in regards to our school.

By supporting this current media crush, this BITCH who happens to work for the University, is herself continuing to harm the University, both financially and by in many ways helping to continue to smear our reputation. I don't care what kind of contract she has with the University because these two activities are grounds for dismissal.

But this is just my opinion on her opinion. Your opinion doesn't matter to me.

I believe in the two phone calls from the 70s

are-you-serious-clark-clark.gif

It's easy to see where you stand on this issue. Perhaps you could try to understand the damage done to Penn State from this 12 year old fiasco. Both the scarring of the Universities reputation and the financial hardships that are still going on as a result of allowing the Media to destroy much of what we were most proud in regards to our school.

By supporting this current media crush, this BITCH who happens to work for the University, is herself continuing to harm the University, both financially and by in many ways helping to continue to smear our reputation. I don't care what kind of contract she has with the University because these two activities are grounds for dismissal.

But this is just my opinion on her opinion. Your opinion doesn't matter to me.
LOL.

As somebody who believes that Paterno was an honorable man who was treated unfairly, this is exactly the kind of post that gives the rest of the country fodder to paint PSU fans as lunatics on this issue.

Are you one of these "Sandusky didn't do anything wrong!" types, too?

Either way, demanding the firing of somebody for their audacity to disagree with you on Paterno is pretty lame. And snowflakish.

But to each his own.

Inappropriate but not necessarily illegal. He didn't see assault that night.

Geez buddy this is way over the top. Joe got fired. I didn't agree with it. It has been 10 years I let this go a long time ago. No one is changing their opinion at this point.
This is the problem. If people actually understood the facts, they WOULD change their minds. Sadly, the media is too locked in to their original story and completely discounts any information that disproves their version of events.

Yeah, why not?
Additionally, this was Penn State's official response to the 70's allegations:

… The allegations related to Penn State are simply not established fact. The two allegations related to knowledge by Coach Paterno are unsubstantiated and unsupported by any evidence other than a claim by an alleged victim. They date from the 1970s. Coach Paterno is not alive to refute them. His family has denied them.
The full statement can be read at this link.

Nothing about McQueary's role in this is "clear" even 10 years later. McQueary testified that he was intentionally vague when informing Paterno. Your are implying and assuming that Paterno understood this was about sexual abuse yet McQueary's sworn testimony indicates that Paterno may not have been informed of the specifics. This is one of many subjective elements in the narrative. The court of public opinion and the media took the implication and assumptions and ran with it. But the evidence shows that exactly what was communicated back in 2001 was unclear at best. Personally, my stance is to not burn things to the ground based on unclear evidence. It's certainly fair to ask more questions and dig deeper but the leap many have taken with respect to Paterno and PSU is not one I'm willing to take based on the evidence I've reviewed. This is a complex story with many shades of gray and given that the events took place 10 years before coming to light and were not well documented these questions are never going to be answered.

Last edited:
For those who are interested, Graham Spanier will be interviewed live today at 3pm EDT on the Search Warrant (i.e. John Snedden) podcast on kgra radio. I believe Spanier will discuss his new book and his reaction to the ESPN "documentary" on the Paterno legacy. You should be able to find the live link on the Search Warrant twitter feed. It is usually posted a little before the show starts.

Nothing about McQueary's role in this is "clear" even 10 years later. McQueary testified that he was intentionally vague when informing Paterno. Your are implying and assuming that Paterno understood this was about sexual abuse yet McQueary's sworn testimony indicates that Paterno may not have been informed of the specifics.
It sure wasn't clearly illegal if you asked Dr. Dranov, who McQueary reported this to even before he reported it to Joe:

"Asked if he thought it was “bad enough” to call police or child welfare agencies that night, Dranov said no."

The court of public opinion and the media took the implication and assumptions and ran with it.
The reaon for this is the the GJP stated that McQ witnessed Sandusky anally raping the boy. As you know, at the time, that was believed to be truth and not manufacted by an overzealous prosecution. It has never recovered despite it being 100% false and an intentional lie.

This is the problem. If people actually understood the facts, they WOULD change their minds. Sadly, the media is too locked in to their original story and completely discounts any information that disproves their version of events.
Yeah, there's not an expiration date on truth or the search for it. If misinformation continues to be shared, then there will be a rebuttal.

Got this from a post on the other board. It's from a well-respected member:

"There was a time when Penn State's athletic teams were thought to be purer than Caesar's wife. Hundreds of student athletes, giving their all for the glory of Dear Old State. Was it ever so, or was it all just a mirage? Nationally our reputation is in tatters. I want to believe that Camelot once existed in the shadow of Mt. Nittany but I have my doubts. More likely Penn State was, and is, pretty much like all the other big time schools. It has athletes, and coaches, both virtuous and villainous. WE ARE just like everyone else. So be it.

Among my many Penn State friends and the dozen or so season ticket holders that I knew, virtually everyone thought that way, including me. We advanced that thinking at every opportunity, especially when at social functions with alums of other schools. It was often a topic of conversation at Penn State alumni events that I attended. Quite frankly we thought we were better than everyone else. The remnants of that thinking still exist today and I see it often on this board. It is not just boasting about Penn State, but taking shots at other $chools, thereby implying that we are above suspicion. Of course, the counter to that also exists. On the Iowa wrestling board, which I visited during the BigTen and NCAA championships, I saw comments that we have the be$t team money can buy. Perhaps I was a slow learner, but it took me 40 years to realize that all schools are pretty much the same. Sure, some are worse, some a bit better, but most are right where we are and I'm OK with that."

This is so spot on. My guess is @crm114psu will get roasted by some just for sharing - by those who are even slower learners than the OP.

Here's the thing - it was easy to buy into the hype of the purity narrative because you had one person preaching it for so long the idea became a self-fulfilling prophecy. Some of you may be familiar with a large healthcare system in western PA that claims to be the best. Why? Because they say they are and have been saying it for so long that it eventually sort of becomes "truth." Are they really the best? Hard to say; they do some things really well but other things not so great. They purport themselves to be a virtuous pillar of the community BUT they enjoy tax free status, have docs accused of fraudulent Medicare billing, etc, while also employing many, many people who do the right thing every day - work hard, take care of patients, etc. Most likely this big healthcare system is pretty much like all the other big time healthcare systems out there, no better, no worse.

The "thinking we're better than everyone else" mindset goes hand in hand with the decades old, spoon fed narrative. When you say over and over, for 40+ years, how you as an institution are doing things "the right way" it is natural for those associated with said institution to then think the others are NOT doing things the right way. Simple human nature. No nefarious or evil intent whatsoever, just the inevitable conclusion of the situation really, now S L O W L Y being undone with the passage of time.

Try pulling that stunt like she did at your company - you would be fired in a New York Second!

Try pulling that stunt like she did at your company - you would be fired in a New York Second!
I can assure you I absolutely would not. Particularly at a public institution.

I don't agree with her connecting Hodne to Paterno's legacy, but who cares? If you don't like the opinion, ignore it. It's not like this woman is the university president. Too many PSU fans lose their minds whenever Paterno's good name is besmirched, but will show absolutely no sorrow for Sandusky's victims. You see why that's a problem, right?

There are a lot of opinions out there that make people mad. Let's not go around demanding that we fire everybody who utters them.

I can assure you I absolutely would not. Particularly at a public institution.

I don't agree with her connecting Hodne to Paterno's legacy, but who cares? If you don't like the opinion, ignore it. It's not like this woman is the university president. Too many PSU fans lose their minds whenever Paterno's good name is besmirched, but will show absolutely no sorrow for Sandusky's victims. You see why that's a problem, right?

There are a lot of opinions out there that make people mad. Let's not go around demanding that we fire everybody who utters them.
I don't agree with you. If you work at a company and degradate it, you can and should be disciplined (if not fired). This self-loathing is off the charts dumb. This is why colin kaprenek can't find a job in the NFL. It isn't the QBing. Who wants to be afraid their QB isn't going to go to the media and call the owner a plantation cracker and the play calling is racist? he certainly has a right to say it but he has no right to employment.

I don't agree with you. If you work at a company and degradate it, you can and should be disciplined (if not fired). This self-loathing is off the charts dumb. This is why colin kaprenek can't find a job in the NFL. It isn't the QBing. Who wants to be afraid their QB isn't going to go to the media and call the owner a plantation cracker and the play calling is racist? he certainly has a right to say it but he has no right to employment.

PSU isn't a company. It's a public institution. And she didn't degrade the institution as much as she took shots at Joe Paterno and what happened years ago.

I don't agree with her point, but it's not like she's insulting current university leaders. And no -- criticizing Joe Paterno isn't a fireable offense.

"Self-loathing"? You people want to fire a professor for criticizing Joe Paterno. A man who has been dead for 10 years. And many such people are the same people whining about "cancel culture" and snowflakes and safe spaces. You see the irony here?

Reactions: ouirpsu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT