ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Stacy Parks Miller: Charges likely in deadly fall at Beta Theta Pi

I had a Honey Cinnamon Latte.
tenor.gif

What possibly can you charge here other than misdemeanor furnishing to minors and maybe hazing? The dude tragically fell down the steps. But nothing that happened after that was criminal.
involuntary Manslaughter. Because hazing and providing alcohol to a minor are both illegal they could be charged with involuntary manslaughter. You can also be charged with this if you fail to get medical assistance. Voluntary intoxication is not a defense to this charge.

By the end of the book, Abbey stated that he was accountable for his own actions. He maybe softened a little on JVP's 'management style', but he did not forgive it.... and from the examples Abbey stated, Joe's management style as a young head coach was often far less than optimal. But I think the point was that Joe learned from those early mistakes, and that later on Abbey understood what Joe was trying to accomplish at the time, just did not go about it in the best way. Abbey said that Joe told him that had Abbey been in the program just a few years later than he was, their relationship would have been different / better. Abbey took that as JVP acknowledging his mistakes in the late 60s.

To me, it is a fascinating study of how a person grows and how that growth impacts others - past, present, and future - along the way. I think it's a large part of why and how Joe was able to continue to relate to his players as well as he did later in his career. He understood that society had evolved in those decades, and he needed to evolve in a number of ways as well, without compromising his core values. He did that very well, imo.

Apparently, Don Abbey, like many real estate tycoons, spends a good deal of time suing people and being sued by them. The backstory to this one is fascinating. An amazing character.

LINK: Donald Abbey quietly gets the boot from Bradbury Estates

A couple of interesting tidbits in that story. The one about Abbey suing his Montana project manager for example. Turns out Abbey was paying this guy about 40K a year to oversee the project. Purely by accident, Abbey ran into him in Vegas where the guy was being comped a room at the Bellagio. A quick check turned out that the guy was a regular high stakes gambler there which immediately raised a red flag with Abbey. Some digging into the goings on back in Montana uncovered the fact that the guy was stealing money from Abbey by the boatload.

Another was this line. "And while we don’t know where he has moved, we believe Mr. Abbey is still residing somewhere in Southern California — most likely in a place far less decadent than The Bradbury Estate." I knew Abbey casually when he was a student here. I ran into him one weekend last fall and he told me that he was considering buying a home and moving back to State College. A couple of months later, I heard he had bought a monster home here that had been on the market for a very long time. Whether it's now his primary residence or not, I don't know, but he's definitely got a residence in the area now.

A couple of interesting tidbits in that story. The one about Abbey suing his Montana project manager for example. Turns out Abbey was paying this guy about 40K a year to oversee the project. Purely by accident, Abbey ran into him in Vegas where the guy was being comped a room at the Bellagio. A quick check turned out that the guy was a regular high stakes gambler there which immediately raised a red flag with Abbey. Some digging into the goings on back in Montana uncovered the fact that the guy was stealing money from Abbey by the boatload.

Another was this line. "And while we don’t know where he has moved, we believe Mr. Abbey is still residing somewhere in Southern California — most likely in a place far less decadent than The Bradbury Estate." I knew Abbey casually when he was a student here. I ran into him one weekend last fall and he told me that he was considering buying a home and moving back to State College. A couple of months later, I heard he had bought a monster home here that had been on the market for a very long time. Whether it's now his primary residence or not, I don't know, but he's definitely got a residence in the area now.

Makes me wonder if he bought the 'wrestling house' in Boalsburg, near where O'Brien lived. That is one of the biggest and most expensive homes in the SC area, and has been on the market for a while. It's a small scale model-sized (and priced) home compared to The Bradbury Estate, but plenty big for just about anyone's lifestyle.

Makes me wonder if he bought the 'wrestling house' in Boalsburg, near where O'Brien lived. That is one of the biggest and most expensive homes in the SC area, and has been on the market for a while. It's a small scale model-sized (and priced) home compared to The Bradbury Estate, but plenty big for just about anyone's lifestyle.

I think that's still for sale. It's under a million now I believe. Not even close to being the biggest or nicest in state college. It just has a wrestling room building on property which props the price up. Every house in the development next to Chertows house is nicer (and more expensive).

By the end of the book, Abbey stated that he was accountable for his own actions. He maybe softened a little on JVP's 'management style', but he did not forgive it.... and from the examples Abbey stated, Joe's management style as a young head coach was often far less than optimal. But I think the point was that Joe learned from those early mistakes, and that later on Abbey understood what Joe was trying to accomplish at the time, just did not go about it in the best way. Abbey said that Joe told him that had Abbey been in the program just a few years later than he was, their relationship would have been different / better. Abbey took that as JVP acknowledging his mistakes in the late 60s.

To me, it is a fascinating study of how a person grows and how that growth impacts others - past, present, and future - along the way. I think it's a large part of why and how Joe was able to continue to relate to his players as well as he did later in his career. He understood that society had evolved in those decades, and he needed to evolve in a number of ways as well, without compromising his core values. He did that very well, imo.
Excellent post.

I think that's still for sale. It's under a million now I believe. Not even close to being the biggest or nicest in state college. It just has a wrestling room building on property which props the price up. Every house in the development next to Chertows house is nicer (and more expensive).

Ok, thanks for the clarification on that property. Couldn't think of Chertow's name when I posted.
Not that I pay too close attention on the bigger homes in SC, but wasn't that property listed at around $2mm when it was first listed a couple years ago? And you are right, it isn't really among the nicest looking home, at least from my taste. (Not that I will ever need to worry about considering buying such a home.....!)

Ok, thanks for the clarification on that property. Couldn't think of Chertow's name when I posted.
Not that I pay too close attention on the bigger homes in SC, but wasn't that property listed at around $2mm when it was first listed a couple years ago? And you are right, it isn't really among the nicest looking home, at least from my taste. (Not that I will ever need to worry about considering buying such a home.....!)

Yes it was initially very highly priced. It has dropped a lot. He is outta here, his kids are going off to college and he's starting up a D2 wrestling program at a college down south. If it were just the house, it probably would have sold by now. The common man doesn't want a 2,000 square foot gym mat to take care of.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Yes it was initially very highly priced. It has dropped a lot. He is outta here, his kids are going off to college and he's starting up a D2 wrestling program at a college down south. If it were just the house, it probably would have sold by now. The common man doesn't want a 2,000 square foot gym mat to take care of.
Is the Gettig mansion over by Centre Hills Country Club still on the market?

Thanks for the stories. Again, an amazing guy. Drafted by the Cowboys, decides instead to become a Navy Seal, and then later becomes an LA real estate mogul.

Thanks. Interesting about Chertow taking on that challenge. A buddy of mine who stays close to the PSU wrestling program told me that, also. Good for him, and I hope he makes the most of it.

A buyer with the means could convert that wrestling / gym space into something more mainstream. Someone will see the potential in it at some point.

Good thought. That is a possibility.... still a scale-model of his former home. Much prettier than the Chertow home, yet still high-end ornate for SC, if it is the one I am thinking of.

the Beta house would make a dandy residence with some remodeling

Do they still use the University House as a residence for a few students? If the University takes over the Beta house (and I hope they do not), they could use it in a similar fashion. But I hope for a different outcome.

So because I am bored tonight even with the Penguins on, I had to dig a little.....

This is the home and property I think you may be referring to. A mansion, and on the golf course.

Sheri A. Trine to Nittany Lion 36 LLC , 472 Scenery Drive, $1,550,000.

Abbey wore #36 at PSU.

http://www.centredaily.com/news/business/public-records/article123359864.html

https://trueblueauctions.com/wp-con...tate-College-PA-16801-Real-Estate-Auction.jpg

So because I am bored tonight even with the Penguins on, I had to dig a little.....

This is the home and property I think you may be referring to. A mansion, and on the golf course.

Abbey wore #36 at PSU.

https://trueblueauctions.com/wp-con...tate-College-PA-16801-Real-Estate-Auction.jpg
That's it. Was on the market for a long time - 15,564 square feet. Outstanding work!

Reactions: Bob78
472-Scenery-Drive-State-College-PA-16801-Real-Estate-Auction.jpg

Abbey wore #36 at PSU.

That's some good sleuthing - and I can confirm that it is the house that he bought. It overlooks the new nine at Centre Hills and was formerly owned by Gettig.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zenophile
involuntary Manslaughter. Because hazing and providing alcohol to a minor are both illegal they could be charged with involuntary manslaughter. You can also be charged with this if you fail to get medical assistance. Voluntary intoxication is not a defense to this charge.

Except when it is a defense.

http://articles.mcall.com/2001-12-13/news/3378266_1_drinking-death-vodka-alcohol

According to the judge, "The victim himself chose the path that led to his tragic death."

Here's an article from seven years ago written about the frat next door which was torn down.

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/vandalism-ravages-former-phi-delta-theta-house,417429/

An important paragraphs is as follows.... "Penn State cited an original agreement between Phi Delta Theta and the university, signed in 1905. According to that document, the university provided Phi Delta Theta with the land for the fraternity, but retained the right to buy back the property if the fraternity were to dissolve."

The university will likely claim similar agreements exist with the other on campus fraternities. Since an settlement was reached with Phi Delta Theta, it'll be interesting to see what happens if Beta Theta Pi refuses to sell. Would they be required to sell to the university and ONLY the university? If so, who gets to set the price? And if the university threw money Abbey's way to satisfy him, would that also satisfy the national chapter since they wouldn't need to worry about Abbey's loan?

The other three on campus frats better walk the straight and narrow because the university would love to regain control of those properties too.

PSU Lost that law suit. Judge ruled against university's claim that house reverted to it. I think PSU ended up buying it at market value. Clause violated Rule Against Perpetuity. Go look that one up legal scholars. Lol.

PSU Lost that law suit. Judge ruled against university's claim that house reverted to it. I think PSU ended up buying it at market value. Clause violated Rule Against Perpetuity. Go look that one up legal scholars. Lol.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/20/00.061.004.000..HTM

§ 6104. Rule against perpetuities.

(a) General.--No interest shall be void as a perpetuity except as herein provided.

(b) Void interest; exceptions.--Upon the expiration of the period allowed by the common law rule against perpetuities as measured by actual rather than possible events, any interest not then vested and any interest in members of a class the membership of which is then subject to increase shall be void. This subsection shall not apply to:

(1) Interest exempt at common law.--Interests which would not have been subject to the common law rule against perpetuities.

(2) Cemetery trusts.--Interests which are directed to be used for the maintenance, care, or adornment of any cemetery, churchyard, or other place for the burial of the dead, or any portion thereof, or any grave therein or any improvement on or about the same, and which are subject to no condition precedent at the end of the period described in subsection (b).

(3) Pension or profit-sharing plans.--Interests created by a bona fide trust inter vivos primarily for the benefit of business employees, their families or appointees, under a stock bonus, pension, disability or death benefit, profit-sharing or other employee-benefit plan.

(4) Administrative powers.--Powers which contribute to the effective management of trust assets, including powers to sell, mortgage, or lease trust assets, powers relating to investment of trust assets, powers to determine what is principal and what is income, and powers to name successor trustees.

(c) Time for beginning period.--The period allowed by the common law rule against perpetuities under subsection (b) of this section shall be measured from the expiration of any time during which one person while living has the unrestricted power to transfer to himself the entire legal and beneficial interest in the property.

(d) Applicability.--The provisions of this section and of section 6105 (relating to rule against perpetuities; disposition when invalidity occurs) shall apply to all interests created before January 1, 2007.

(Apr. 28, 1978, P.L.77, No.37, eff. 60 days; July 7, 2006, P.L.615, No.98, eff. imd.)

2006 Amendment. Act 98 amended subsec. (d).

Cross References. Section 6104 is referred to in sections 6105, 6107.1 of this title.

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
LINK: Press release that PSU purchased Phi Delta Theta for $1.75 million. I love PSU's take on it:

"Over the last several years, University officials have been engaged in discussions with representatives from the Alumni Corporation about buying the property."

University purchases former fraternity house on Burrowes Road
March 19, 2010

University Park, Pa — Penn State's Board of Trustees today (March 19) approved the purchase of property at 240 N. Burrowes Road in State College, the former home of the now-disbanded Phi Delta Theta fraternity. The University has no immediate plans for the property, which is adjacent to the core campus.

Over the last several years, University officials have been engaged in discussions with representatives from the Alumni Corporation about buying the property.

The University will pay the Alumni Corporation $1.75 million for the property. Students who are currently living in the house will remain until their leases expire at end of the spring semester.

Thanks for the lead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT