ADVERTISEMENT

FC: UVA lands Bronco Mendenhall...

VaNtyLion

Jul 11, 2001
Love Richt going home to Miami but this move was about as good for Virginia

Wonder if the story was true about a certain trustee offering London the PSU job? (in 2011)

This must be for better money? BYU has traditionally been the better program and I'm sure got better players.

UVA has everything a good coach could want....beautiful campus, strong academics (none stronger actually for a public university), huge endowment, big time donors, great facilities, and is in a decent recruiting area...close to the Tidewater area and the DMV area. UVA is a great job...George Welsh if you remember had them as a winning program for many years. I am pretty sure Welsh had some connections to Paterno...was he on staff with Rip...anyone remember that connection???

UVA has everything a good coach could want....beautiful campus, strong academics (none stronger actually for a public university), huge endowment, big time donors, great facilities, and is in a decent recruiting area...close to the Tidewater area and the DMV area. UVA is a great job...George Welsh if you remember had them as a winning program for many years. I am pretty sure Welsh had some connections to Paterno...was he on staff with Rip...anyone remember that connection???
Welsh did serve with Paterno and then I believe at Navy before taking UVA job. My only concern with Bronco is coming all the way across the country where he has no real experience in the recruiting area. Not a deal breaker for sure, he is a great coach, just not convinced it will be a home run. Certainly an upgrade and they should be bowl eligible year in and year out.

yeah, I agree...not sure of the hire. I am simply saying UVA is a great job. If Mark Richt were not a Miami alum, I could have seen him taking the UVA job. That would have been a real nice fit. In my opinion, there is no excuse for UVA to be neck and neck with Va tech....this lopsided matchup is ridiculous. UVA needs to hire someone that can compete. Hopefully Bronco is that hire for UVA's sake.

yeah, I agree...not sure of the hire. I am simply saying UVA is a great job. If Mark Richt were not a Miami alum, I could have seen him taking the UVA job. That would have been a real nice fit. In my opinion, there is no excuse for UVA to be neck and neck with Va tech....this lopsided matchup is ridiculous. UVA needs to hire someone that can compete. Hopefully Bronco is that hire for UVA's sake.
Agreed...UVA has always been who I root for in the instate match up. I think Bronco will win his fair share, but I think he has BYU results at UVA, 8-4/9-3. I really wanted Rhule to get this job. I think if Meyer is indeed headed to Browns, the coaching carousel will have a few more turns. And on top if somehow Harbaugh did leave UM...it would be funny as heck to watch Miles wave bye bye to LSU. Still more drama to come for sure.

VA has conference money to pay its coaches. BYU went independent and likely can't compete financially.

BYU is owned and operated by the LDS. They can spend as much money on sports that they want. Normal economic rules do not apply there.

BYU is owned and operated by the LDS. They can spend as much money on sports that they want. Normal economic rules do not apply there.

Correct.

The real question to ask here is what caused Memdenhall to want to leave BYU?

[UVA has everything a good coach could want....beautiful campus, strong academics (none stronger actually for a public university), huge endowment, big time donors, great facilities, and is in a decent recruiting area...close to the Tidewater area and the DMV area. UVA is a great job...George Welsh if you remember had them as a winning program for many years. I am pretty sure Welsh had some connections to Paterno...was he on staff with Rip...anyone remember that connection???]

The problem with UVA is that they have little tradition and the culture of the campus is not one that really seems to care all that much about fielding a championship football team. Remember that it was Welsh who was really the first coach to ever have meaningful success at UVA and that was after nearly a century of playing football.

And yet they're typically a mediocre team...so where's all that Marriot money going? Sure doesn't seem to be into their teams.

[UVA has everything a good coach could want....beautiful campus, strong academics (none stronger actually for a public university), huge endowment, big time donors, great facilities, and is in a decent recruiting area...close to the Tidewater area and the DMV area. UVA is a great job...George Welsh if you remember had them as a winning program for many years. I am pretty sure Welsh had some connections to Paterno...was he on staff with Rip...anyone remember that connection???]

The problem with UVA is that they have little tradition and the culture of the campus is not one that really seems to care all that much about fielding a championship football team. Remember that it was Welsh who was really the first coach to ever have meaningful success at UVA and that was after nearly a century of playing football.

UVA is not unlike a lot of ACC schools in this area. Save for FSU and Clemson, you'd be hard pressed to find a true "football is center stage" atmosphere. When the team is winning, the stadium will be full but hard to support mediocre teams on that setting.

I think Mendenhall saw the challenge BYU is going to face until the next round of expansion gets them into a conference, which may still be a ways off. They probably screwed up by going independent and not hoping into the Big XII. It is curious to see him go into an area he has never really coached or recruited but that's where the staff will come into play. He's a really strong coach and will bring an upbeat brand of football to get people at least energized.

Actually Nashville, it's the place where JayPa got his start thanks to George W having coached on Paterno's team. George, in later years, wanted to ring the young jayPa's neck! True story.

Last edited:

George Welsh was JVP's Offensive Coordinator before coaches had that designation. GW used to coach Quarterbacks and was pretty good at it.

Actually Nashville, it's the place where JayPa got his start thanks to George W having coached on Paterno's team. George, in later years, wanted to ring the young jayPa's neck! True story.

Incorrect JayPA was a Graduate Assistant at University of Virginia under George Welsh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT