ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Why Allar thrived vs. Maryland

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
ALLAR FILM STUDY vs. MD

See Link. Interesting observations as Codutti shows us how Yurcich simplified a lot of the reads/route concepts for Allar in this game so he could process info quicker, play faster, and get out of his own head. A lot of the full-field progressions were eliminated and we saw a lot of the 'this-then-that' or 'that-then-this' reads that were a hallmark of his Oklahoma State offense -- including receivers running "dead" routes, meaning they're not part of the passing concept (see the failed rub to Warren where Allar takes off and runs because it's cloudy...the two WRs at the bottom of the screen are not part of the concept.

For The Blogy is one of the best PSU wrap ups available. Thanks.
Your check is in the mail, NC2017 lol. But seriously, thanks. Coach finished the regular season 10-0 and has the No. 3 ranked team in his classification in 5A in Texas, yet he still loves doing these every week during the season. We're grateful for it and love editing these.

For The Blogy is one of the best PSU wrap ups available. Thanks.
I agree. these are the best post game video analysis I've seen. Several years ago, there was a guy that did some great work but went off to work for the Patriots, IIRC. Not with but reporting on.

Much appreciated. I hope putting that play in helps in the playoffs.

I wish he had thrown in a couple of plays from past games where the reads were too complex for Allar just to highlight how the calls in this game were different. I'd also say that Allar had more consistent time in the pocket which also improved his accuracy.

Could this concept be used against the UM defense? Can the PSU O-line keep the UM defense in check long enough for Allar to make the quick reads?

At least we don't have to fear that almighty "Don Brown defense" any more. :rolleyes:

Good stuff. And I like how he very quickly shows the links saying ’You know the drill’ and gets on with it instead of a big pitch for subscribers like most bloggers do.

Drew had a very clean pocket on every play showed….big kudos to the O line. He did get rid of the ball very quickly which helped but there was almost no penetration by the D line.

Really like the simplified play design allowing quick reads. And glad he put this in for Maryland to prove the concept. We will need such quick reads this week because the pocket won’t be nearly as clean and secure.

Also explains why Cephus had a good game as he seemed lost before. As he gains confidence and a good comfort level he will be fine.

Last….any four or five stars on Coach’s team? Seems we would a solid ‘in’ with any top prospects if he does.

Good stuff. And I like how he very quickly shows the links saying ’You know the drill’ and gets on with it instead of a big pitch for subscribers like most bloggers do.

Drew had a very clean pocket on every play showed….big kudos to the O line. He did get rid of the ball very quickly which helped but there was almost no penetration by the D line.

Really like the simplified play design allowing quick reads. And glad he put this in for Maryland to prove the concept. We will need such quick reads this week because the pocket won’t be nearly as clean and secure.

Also explains why Cephus had a good game as he seemed lost before. As he gains confidence and a good comfort level he will be fine.

Last….any four or five stars on Coach’s team? Seems we would a solid ‘in’ with any top prospects if he does.
Agreed. You can also see how the receiver tandems need to complement each other. That is why having a 1 and 2 that are dangerous are so important. Without that, you cover KLS and let the #2 beat you. But if #2 starts beating you, you've got to back off KLS and begin to try and cover both guys leaving KLS a little more open.

ALLAR FILM STUDY vs. MD

See Link. Interesting observations as Codutti shows us how Yurcich simplified a lot of the reads/route concepts for Allar in this game so he could process info quicker, play faster, and get out of his own head. A lot of the full-field progressions were eliminated and we saw a lot of the 'this-then-that' or 'that-then-this' reads that were a hallmark of his Oklahoma State offense -- including receivers running "dead" routes, meaning they're not part of the passing concept (see the failed rub to Warren where Allar takes off and runs because it's cloudy...the two WRs at the bottom of the screen are not part of the concept.
Assuming this is true, why would Yurcich wait until now to "simplify" things instead of doing this right from the WVU game? Allar is a first year QB, you'd think he'd have started simple and built from there, especially considering the easy schedule early on from week 2. Even then, you'd think Yurcich would have done this weeks ago as it's been clear Allar hasn't looked like he did against WVU in many weeks, why wait until Maryland? Not being critical, that just seems like odd timing.

Reactions: njlion
On the QB draw, there was never an option to throw. The receiver doesn't break inside, Drew never looks his way and there's already a lineman downfield blocking.

Really good video. I watch a fair bit of football, but nowhere near at the level that coach describes the offense. The throw for the TD to Warren will be on Allar's film to the scouts for the NFL, a Rope that was right on the money. I had the same thought that the week that we simplified the offense happened to the week that Cephus breaks out does not seem like a coincidence.

I'm encouraged that we simplified the offense and the hope would be that we really get the offense solid and then we can start to sprinkle in more complexity over time.

On the QB draw, there was never an option to throw. The receiver doesn't break inside, Drew never looks his way and there's already a lineman downfield blocking.
The Center got a really good block on that run....... he seems to thrive on the run versus handling stationary big DTS.

Reactions: Obliviax
ALLAR FILM STUDY vs. MD

Things that I noticed:
  • MD corners played soft of our WRs. OSU and Indy played more press man coverage.
  • Some of those plays worked because the OL gave Allar time.
  • Allar made quick decisions / got rid of the ball faster than earlier games.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
ALLAR FILM STUDY vs. MD

Does the coach have any ties to Penn State?

Great video but really, fans and analysts focus too much on scheme and not enough on personnel. It gives people this idea that you can magically scheme Penn State to victory over Michigan. Michigan blew PSU out last year not because of scheme but because they were superior at the LOS on both sides of the ball. If that is true again this year, the result is going to be the same. PSU lost to Ohio State (and really it wasn't close) because Ohio State D was dominant up front.

Reactions: Obliviax
Great video but really, fans and analysts focus too much on scheme and not enough on personnel. It gives people this idea that you can magically scheme Penn State to victory over Michigan. Michigan blew PSU out last year not because of scheme but because they were superior at the LOS on both sides of the ball. If that is true again this year, the result is going to be the same. PSU lost to Ohio State (and really it wasn't close) because Ohio State D was dominant up front.
I'm not disputing that OSU's defense didn't dominate PSU's offense, but, even with Harrison, it's not like OSU's offense dominated PSU's defense. That's why the score for much of the second half was 10-6 and even 13-6 well into the fourth quarter. To me, that was a close game because all that it would've taken was for one play to be made either on offense or defense, like the overturned fumble return for a td, to change the outcome of that game.

Also, well I generally agree that talent usually wins out, especially if you can run the ball and stop the run, good coaches can use schemes at least to decrease the talent disparity somewhat, like TCU did to Michigan last season, and NFL coaches do all of the time. I mean, by all rights, a decent Iliinois team probably should've beaten an undefeated Michigan on the road last season, and there definitely was a talent disparity in that game.

PSU has enough talent that they should be able to play with Michigan, especially at home and if the coaches do their jobs. Also, this Michigan team has not been tested at all this season and has played a very weak schedule; their toughest environment probably was Lincoln, but Nebraska only is 5-4. PSU will be the best team by a very wide margin that Michigan will have played this season; let's see how they react if they get punched in the mouth for the first time this season. Conversely, PSU already has played at the No. 1 ranked team in the country, and faced a lot of adversity in two of their last three games.

Last edited:
Reactions: gogolion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT