ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Codutti on Nolan Rucci

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
RUCCI FILM STUDY

See Link. Unlike some of the stuff we do where coach purposely seeks out the positive, in this one he doesn't sugarcoat things, at all. Not saying he's overly negative here...just points out numerous troublepoints that all seem to stem from a lack of development (which is weird to say for a school with the oline history of Wisconsin). A lot for Trautwein to clean up yet obvious talent and gifts to work with.

Nolan needs to practice pass blocking long passed spring ball, in fact, all summer. I was not in happy when he chose Wisconsin. Legacies, per se, mean little to me. Playing at 6'8" he will have to learn to bend his knees and hips which may be beyond his physical limits. I think Trautwein can fix his arm tendencies though that should not be difficult. Another good Codutti analysis.

Reactions: CaliLION79
RUCCI FILM STUDY

See Link. Unlike some of the stuff we do where coach purposely seeks out the positive, in this one he doesn't sugarcoat things, at all. Not saying he's overly negative here...just points out numerous troublepoints that all seem to stem from a lack of development (which is weird to say for a school with the oline history of Wisconsin). A lot for Trautwein to clean up yet obvious talent and gifts to work with.
Somewhere in the last several years, it seems as if Wisconsin's player development really declined, expecially with o-linemen. Another school known for developing o-linemen, Iowa, also has experienced a deterioration in their o-line play in recent seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaliLION79
Somewhere in the last several years, it seems as if Wisconsin's player development really declined, expecially with o-linemen. Another school known for developing o-linemen, Iowa, also has experienced a deterioration in their o-line play in recent seasons.
does he have only one year left??

Right. Fickel was a coach that many wanted to hire and the team regressed.

Nolan needs to practice pass blocking long passed spring ball, in fact, all summer. I was not in happy when he chose Wisconsin. Legacies, per se, mean little to me. Playing at 6'8" he will have to learn to bend his knees and hips which may be beyond his physical limits. I think Trautwein can fix his arm tendencies though that should not be difficult. Another good Codutti analysis.
Yes excellent Codutti analysis as always. As you note, he needs lots of work on his pass pro technique. On the other hand, all of the pass pro analysis was from the bowl game vs. LSU. Watched that game since Nolan graduated from my high school
This game was his first with extended playing time. He went in after the starter got hurt. By that time, Wisconsin was behind and LSU’s d line was playing all out pass rush every down. Despite his lousy technique, as Coletti points out he didn’t get beat often because of his size and strength. Since he is an aggressive and strong run blocker, if Traut can get his pass pro technique squared away, Penn State might have a good player here.

Yes excellent Codutti analysis as always. As you note, he needs lots of work on his pass pro technique. On the other hand, all of the pass pro analysis was from the bowl game vs. LSU. Watched that game since Nolan graduated from my high school
This game was his first with extended playing time. He went in after the starter got hurt. By that time, Wisconsin was behind and LSU’s d line was playing all out pass rush every down. Despite his lousy technique, as Coletti points out he didn’t get beat often because of his size and strength. Since he is an aggressive and strong run blocker, if Traut can get his pass pro technique squared away, Penn State might have a good player here.

Maybe... It was only LSU after all. We shall see.

How can a kid have technique problems when his Dad was a starting NFL lineman for around 75 games?

How can a kid have technique problems when his Dad was a starting NFL lineman for around 75 games?

Lots of potential ways.

1. Dad was a guard.
2. Dad isn't a coach
3. Dad's skill doesn't equate to his son naturally having it
4. It's a video critique; imagine how poor he might be at pass pro if he DIDN'T have an ex-NFL pappy.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Lots of potential ways.

1. Dad was a guard.
2. Dad isn't a coach
3. Dad's skill doesn't equate to his son naturally having it
4. It's a video critique; imagine how poor he might be at pass pro if he DIDN'T have an ex-NFL pappy.
I’m not buying it. Many NFL linemen are taught all three positions due to roster limitations. Rucci was a second round pick out of Penn State and spent 8 years with the Patriots. He was exposed to over a dozen years of elite coaching. You don’t have to be a coach to show your son what you’ve learned through coaching and your own experience. Scratch number 3 entirely. Everyone agrees the kid inherited his skill. We’re talking technique.

Confidence has so much to do with sports. The fact that his dad played in the NFL can work against a young man trying to live up to those expectations. There was a lot written that he really gained confidence in the Wiscy bowl game. In sports, you can't think you have to "do". And when you don't have confidence you are unsure as to what to do and that leads to too much thinking. Let's hope he's found a way. He's getting good reviews from camp.

Reactions: lazydave841
Did not finish in the top 10 which means they suck according to PSU fans.
If LSU had played in the Big 10 last season, they would've been the second best team ahead of OSU. They also would've challenged Michigan's defense more than any other team that they played last season, including Bama.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT