ADVERTISEMENT

Flo free live streaming National Signing Day 11/16

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012

Some major prospects already part of the event: Daton Fix, Chase Singletary, Jacob Warner, Kaden Gfeller so far.

I've explained this sentiment on the MN Board a few times, but first, let me get my back-tracking out of the way.

I love Flo. I love everything it does for the sport. I follow along, and often have FloPro, especially during Duals/Fargo. I love the light they bring to the sport. I have 0 negative to say about Flo, in terms of what they've done for wrestling.

That being said, the whole "National Signing Day" BS that has trickled down from major sports is wack, to me. I have known countless kids that end up "signing" to a college, that never step foot on the mat for a wide-range of reasons. It's kids and their parents walking around with their chest big.

Now, I am not against celebration. I love watching kids realize their dreams and celebrating. I don't know why I hate signing ceremonies, but they always leave a bitter taste in my mouth. That said, I'll tune in, very likely. I just hate seeing "Joe Schmo signs to U of X" only to see them end up either: 1. Not making it there and dropping out. OR 2. Transferring. Which leaves people in forum world to ask "Why?" and then people get upset that the forums are delving into personal situations (which I completely understand that athletes and their families want an deserve privacy). But, if you're gonna make an ordeal of signing, expect people to wonder and ask "Why?" when you don't end up there or transfer.

It just drives the whole "Scholarship or bust" culture that I despise about other sports. I'm a sour apple. Like I said, I love Flo. I wish the best to all signing. I just hate seeing some of this happen and the aftermath.

I've explained this sentiment on the MN Board a few times, but first, let me get my back-tracking out of the way.

I love Flo. I love everything it does for the sport. I follow along, and often have FloPro, especially during Duals/Fargo. I love the light they bring to the sport. I have 0 negative to say about Flo, in terms of what they've done for wrestling.

That being said, the whole "National Signing Day" BS that has trickled down from major sports is wack, to me. I have known countless kids that end up "signing" to a college, that never step foot on the mat for a wide-range of reasons. It's kids and their parents walking around with their chest big.

Now, I am not against celebration. I love watching kids realize their dreams and celebrating. I don't know why I hate signing ceremonies, but they always leave a bitter taste in my mouth. That said, I'll tune in, very likely. I just hate seeing "Joe Schmo signs to U of X" only to see them end up either: 1. Not making it there and dropping out. OR 2. Transferring. Which leaves people in forum world to ask "Why?" and then people get upset that the forums are delving into personal situations (which I completely understand that athletes and their families want an deserve privacy). But, if you're gonna make an ordeal of signing, expect people to wonder and ask "Why?" when you don't end up there or transfer.

It just drives the whole "Scholarship or bust" culture that I despise about other sports. I'm a sour apple. Like I said, I love Flo. I wish the best to all signing. I just hate seeing some of this happen and the aftermath.
If done right, it can add much-needed publicity and excitement beyond our community. It all depends upon -- and is a great revealing moment for the character of -- the kids involved.

I thought Mark Hall handled his moment in the sun fantastically.

Somewhere in the middle, Johnny Sebastian's came across as a little schlocky. Not a knock on him, I think his worst sin was being a teenager. More a matter of inexperience at showcasing and scripting the event, some lessons learned for Hall's and future events.

Even so, the NJ media picked up on the event, so it seems a net plus.

On the other end of the spectrum... about 10-15 yrs ago, a football player took off his jacket to reveal a PSU jersey. It was a swerve. He was wearing another school's jersey underneath. Lots of carrying on afterward.

I can still imagine Joe's reaction to that scene. Probably a combination of relief for dodging a bullet + sadness for a kid whose head ballooned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT