ADVERTISEMENT

FloSports hit with shareholder suit

tikk10

Nov 6, 2015
The link is paywalled so I'll paste the meat of the article. The stuff I snipped out is background stuff. The complaint isn't yet available.

Without knowing the facts and specific allegations, corporations must hold annual meetings and make their books available to minority shareholders under certain conditions, so I imagine plaintiffs (yet more Floreanis) are going to get what they're asking for from the court. This doesn't mean we'll get to see anything but it's still interesting.

FloSports Hit With Shareholder Suit In Chancery​

By Emilie Ruscoe ·

Law360 (July 6, 2023, 4:47 PM EDT) -- Four stockholders have sued sports streaming company FloSports Inc. in Delaware's Court of Chancery, seeking corporate books and records and alleging it had been years since they'd gotten financial updates from the company.

FloSports investors MMF Family Partners Ltd., Christina Floreani, Charlene Floreani and John Joseph Williamson launched the action Wednesday. It's currently under seal alongside a motion to expedite the proceedings.

The investors also filed as an exhibit the November 2022 books and records request they sent Austin, Texas-based FloSports, and said in their motion to expedite that they'd sent a follow-up request in June that has since been refused by the company.

"Since 2018, the company has failed to provide the holders with any financial reports or other disclosures," the investors said in their November letter to the company. "Additionally, there have been no shareholder meetings since 2018."

[....]

The investors are represented by Emanuel Grillo of Allen & Overy LLP and Scott J. Leonhardt of The Rosner Law Group LLC.

Counsel information for the company wasn't immediately available Thursday.

The case is MMF Family Partners Ltd. et al. v. FloSports Inc., case number 2023-0684, in the Court of Chancery of the State of Delaware.

--Additional reporting by Leslie Pappas, Brian Dowling and Renee Hickman. Editing by Daniel King.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Lion
I'm hoping the suit includes refunds for the Oklahoma State & PSU match debacle. One can hope, can't he? Maybe force Flo to replay it. 😉

Reactions: PASLP2
Another case of Flo failing to deliver?
Maybe the shareholders tried to get the books but they'd accidentally left checked the "I waive all my rights" box and every year it just auto-renewed.

This dispute is purely about corporate governance, this has nothing to do with account holders, to address an above point.

MMF Family Partners Ltd is a company belonging to Martin. I'll take an educated guess, given their ages, that Christina and Charlene Floreani are sisters of Mark and Martin (maybe one is Martin's wife? Someone reading this probably knows). Not clear who the only non-family member is, John Joseph Williamson, other than an investor/shareholder. Mark surely owns a majority share or this dispute wouldn't exist.

The rights of minority shareholders to inspect books may be addressed in the articles of incorporation or, more likely, the bylaws. It would be contrary to public policy for the articles or bylaws to abolish the shareholders' right to inspect.

That said, minority shareholders don't get to access to the books just for asking. They need to assert a proper purpose and the demand must be made in good faith. Lucky for the minority shareholders that shouldn't be hard to show here, given that there's been no annual meeting since 2018 per their claim. Shareholders can compel a meeting if one hasn't been held in 15 months. In most small corporations, if a shareholder owns at least 10% he/she can compel a special meeting. (Since they didn't ask I'll guess none of the plaintiffs are 10% owners). Even more important than the lack of any meeting is the claim that FloSports hasn't disclosed any financial reports since 2018, yet hasn't lacked revenue.

It's hard to imagine a scenario where the court doesn't give them exactly what they're asking for because what they're asking for is fundamental to all corporations.

Maybe the shareholders tried to get the books but they'd accidentally left checked the "I waive all my rights" box and every year it just auto-renewed.

This dispute is purely about corporate governance, this has nothing to do with account holders, to address an above point.

MMF Family Partners Ltd is a company belonging to Martin. I'll take an educated guess, given their ages, that Christina and Charlene Floreani are sisters of Mark and Martin (maybe one is Martin's wife? Someone reading this probably knows). Not clear who the only non-family member is, John Joseph Williamson, other than an investor/shareholder. Mark surely owns a majority share or this dispute wouldn't exist.

The rights of minority shareholders to inspect books may be addressed in the articles of incorporation or, more likely, the bylaws. It would be contrary to public policy for the articles or bylaws to abolish the shareholders' right to inspect.

That said, minority shareholders don't get to access to the books just for asking. They need to assert a proper purpose and the demand must be made in good faith. Lucky for the minority shareholders that shouldn't be hard to show here, given that there's been no annual meeting since 2018 per their claim. Shareholders can compel a meeting if one hasn't been held in 15 months. In most small corporations, if a shareholder owns at least 10% he/she can compel a special meeting. (Since they didn't ask I'll guess none of the plaintiffs are 10% owners). Even more important than the lack of any meeting is the claim that FloSports hasn't disclosed any financial reports since 2018, yet hasn't lacked revenue.

It's hard to imagine a scenario where the court doesn't give them exactly what they're asking for because what they're asking for is fundamental to all corporations.
Not to get argumentative, but my experience here is that while this may be an isolated claim based on the litigation the shareholders likely feel there is something wrong and they can't make a further claim without financials. As the guy who was responsible for sending f/s to hundreds of LPs in my life, this could have been resolved in 5 minutes. Someone is being told not to do something for some reason. This may be hole 7 of a sour relationship. Nobody wins in these deals except for the lawyers.

Not to get argumentative, but my experience here is that while this may be an isolated claim based on the litigation the shareholders likely feel there is something wrong and they can't make a further claim without financials. As the guy who was responsible for sending f/s to hundreds of LPs in my life, this could have been resolved in 5 minutes. Someone is being told not to do something for some reason. This may be hole 7 of a sour relationship. Nobody wins in these deals except for the lawyers.
Well, yeah, obviously there's a lot more going on, but this court's only concern will be whether FloSports can withhold the financial statements from the minority shareholders. Clearly they didn't get to this point without making a request first (your proposed 5-minute, no-lawyers resolution) and having that request denied; in fact if they hadn't made the request the judge would likely rip the lawyer's head off.

And if, after shareholders' review of the financial statements, there's an additional claim to be made, that's another issue entirely.

Well, yeah, obviously there's a lot more going on, but this court's only concern will be whether FloSports can withhold the financial statements from the minority shareholders. Clearly they didn't get to this point without making a request first (your proposed 5-minute, no-lawyers resolution) and having that request denied; in fact if they hadn't made the request the judge would likely rip the lawyer's head off.

And if, after shareholders' review of the financial statements, there's an additional claim to be made, that's another issue entirely.
It appears that the GC for Flo is quite the prick. First, his idiotic and mean-spirited jihad against Willie, and now this crap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT