ADVERTISEMENT

Foley's Friday Mailbag for 5/27/16

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
a question about McIntosh, a question about Kerry McCoy, and an answer that includes Tank.

you can access this week's Mailbag at THIS LINK.

a question about McIntosh, a question about Kerry McCoy, and an answer that includes Tank.

you can access this week's Mailbag at THIS LINK.

Is this a d-bag comment or am I hypersensitive?

"After Frank Molinaro made the U.S. Olympic Team, it's safe to say that everyone has a chance. " - said in the McIntosh question

"After Frank Molinaro made the U.S. Olympic Team, it's safe to say that everyone has a chance. " - said in the McIntosh question

Let's face it. Foley is very impressed with his own opinions.

However, he did supply a link to a YouTube video of J'Den Cox singing and playing the guitar. Is that guy talented or what? At every Olympics, the broadcasting network (usually NBC) always picks a few athletes that they focus on more than the others. USA Wrestling needs to make an effort to get this guy in front of the cameras as much as possible. He could become a name known in every household if they handle it right.

It's a flip, already tired take, which he should know because he actually watches the FS matches. I tend to think people are needlessly hard on Foley but that comment was eyeroll-worthy. Also, McIntosh may need to go up? Has he seen how tall McIntosh is?

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
I think he is more applauding Frank's run to the title. He beat Russell, Metcalf, Steiber, and Pico all in a day. Phenomenal. He had a very tough road and got there. If he can navigate that road then anything is possible. He was very much an underdog.

Embrace the power of "and."

Seriously, Foley has a way of pissing off multiple fan bases weekly, so he kinda has to earn back the benefit of the doubt. It's probably just sloppy and imprecise wording -- or is it a window into his soul?

Fundraising idea for sending Frank's family to Rio: Foley interviews Frank, we sell tickets.

Foley's position on Xanax case is laughable. The reason prescription drugs are illegal to sell is not to be a killjoy and prevent kids from "relaxing" by popping some pills but rather because the often have serious side effects, sometimes deadly, and those that distribute without a medical license are incapable to communicate the risks and safe usage to the user. Not withstanding that they are being used for purposes other than what they have been developed for. That it is prevalent doesn't change that it is dangerous and stupid.

Defending a one page essay as an appropriate measure is laughable. When was the last time you had a one pager? Six grade? Minimal effort if you ask me. I'd be curious whether he informed the parents? If not, then he hard to understand that he was acting like a father figure.

Reactions: yekrut321
Foley's position on Xanax case is laughable. The reason prescription drugs are illegal to sell is not to be a killjoy and prevent kids from "relaxing" by popping some pills but rather because the often have serious side effects, sometimes deadly, and those that distribute without a medical license are incapable to communicate the risks and safe usage to the user. Not withstanding that they are being used for purposes other than what they have been developed for. That it is prevalent doesn't change that it is dangerous and stupid.

Defending a one page essay as an appropriate measure is laughable. When was the last time you had a one pager? Six grade? Minimal effort if you ask me. I'd be curious whether he informed the parents? If not, then he hard to understand that he was acting like a father figure.
Whitney Houston approves of Foley's answer.

On a serious note, all the people weighing in on message boards with a professional knowledge of Xanax (e.g drug abuse counselors) explicitly mention its habit-forming aspect and wicked withdrawal symptoms. Foley blew it off like a harmless thing that Tennis Moms use to relax after a 3 setter and having to tell the gardener, once again, to do the edging near the driveway

Not a d-bag comment. Nobody could have planned or predicted the path Frank took to get where he is at. I think Frank would be the first to say that. Morgan is an amazing talent as a senior in collage.....just like Molinaro, so it could happen. It is possible....just not probable......and that is the beauty of the story Frank is writing.

Time travel back......

Frank, you just won an ncaa championship.... How does it feel? "It feels like in a few years I will be a assistant coach at PSU, we will just have won another national title, I will be speaking publically about my faith and my wife will be getting ready to give birth to our second child while I prep for the Olympics". Thank you Frank, somebody test him for drugs.......

Reactions: ev_flores0331
Not a d-bag comment. Nobody could have planned or predicted the path Frank took to get where he is at. I think Frank would be the first to say that. Morgan is an amazing talent as a senior in collage.....just like Molinaro, so it could happen. It is possible....just not probable......and that is the beauty of the story Frank is writing.

Time travel back......

Frank, you just won an ncaa championship.... How does it feel? "It feels like in a few years I will be a assistant coach at PSU, we will just have won another national title, I will be speaking publically about my faith and my wife will be getting ready to give birth to our second child while I prep for the Olympics". Thank you Frank, somebody test him for drugs.......

I don't like the DBag (Foley) but SRath has a point although I am not sure Foley intended it in that manner because it can be taken like Dunk did because he didn't qualify the statement. I would have never thought Frank would do what he did as in the past, I have given him very little credit. I did the same thing for Tony Ramos after he graduated...though for sure it would take a year. That's why our sport is pretty damn good.

Raise your hands if even two years ago, you thought Daniel Dennis would be repping us at 57. I have watched DD a lot. Respect him immensely but I sure as hell didn't think he would be here a few years ago. A year ago? Sure.

I don't like the DBag (Foley) but SRath has a point although I am not sure Foley intended it in that manner because it can be taken like Dunk did because he didn't qualify the statement. I would have never thought Frank would do what he did as in the past, I have given him very little credit. I did the same thing for Tony Ramos after he graduated...though for sure it would take a year. That's why our sport is pretty damn good.

Raise your hands if even two years ago, you thought Daniel Dennis would be repping us at 57. I have watched DD a lot. Respect him immensely but I sure as hell didn't think he would be here a few years ago. A year ago? Sure.

DD.....another amazing story. As someone really familiar wth DD's story, what would have been your reaction.......right after he had graduated? The original question was about Smackintosh at the same stage in his life.

I see our very own El-Jefe ("Jefe") responded in the comment section...

I dunno, man. I don't think selling pills for eight bucks a pop is in the same league as campus rape or selling coke. I guess I'm inclined to give the kids a second chance because I remember what a dumbass I was at that age.

As to the MacIntosh comment, I think he was just pointing out how Molinaro was such a huge an underdog. I wouldn't have bet a dime on him, now he's headed to Rio and I've learned never to underestimate his heart or work ethic.

DD.....another amazing story. As someone really familiar wth DD's story, what would have been your reaction.......right after he had graduated? The original question was about Smackintosh at the same stage in his life.

I thought it would be tough for DD after having his heart ripped out in 2010. He stayed on a few more years but was mediocre...a lot like Frank. One of the guy's in the fray but really never the guy to worry about. That, plus injuries and I really thought he was done and would be coaching somewhere. We used to get reports from the road...pictures of him climbing and generally not giving two f*cks about anything but tomorrow. When he came back, his matches and approach just seemed different. Initially, he was helping Ramos train for Worlds but I think it lit a spark into him. Could he get down to 57 because he damn sure knows he can compete with the best.

I love Tony Ramos. Very tough to score on and a great counter shot. He thinks too much though and this is where Dan had the advantage. Dan knows that a loss is not the most important thing in the world and his time away gave him that perspective. He didn't have any mouths to feed, probably doesn't care much about money...that type of mentality gives one a freedom to take risks and wrestle with joy.

I see our very own El-Jefe ("Jefe") responded in the comment section...
Any semi-competent junior high editor would've caught that sentence. Pretty apparent that either (1) that sentence were intentional, or (2) they've decided to crowd-source editing. I felt charitable and decided to pitch into the editing.

I thought about asking if the Ohio RTC pre-approved that sentence ... must ... show ... restraint ...

I know Jefe is a big fan of Foley's. Bigger than me.
A fan of Foley's what? (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Reactions: Azchief32
I dunno, man. I don't think selling pills for eight bucks a pop is in the same league as campus rape or selling coke. I guess I'm inclined to give the kids a second chance because I remember what a dumbass I was at that age.

As to the MacIntosh comment, I think he was just pointing out how Molinaro was such a huge an underdog. I wouldn't have bet a dime on him, now he's headed to Rio and I've learned never to underestimate his heart or work ethic.
A lot of us were teenage dumbasses, but I seriously doubt any of us ran operations involving theft, shipping, and storage of significant quantiities (inventory > 2500 pills at the time). Plus, chances are the sellers knew the market well -- meaning, they knew this wasn't emergency relief for a hyper kid whose prescription just ran out. They knew the pills were for an illicit high.

Again, this wasn't one kid selling the last 2-3 pills of his own prescription. That would be a dumbass. This was a deliberate and recurring operation.

Certainly not campus rape, but your coke dealer analogy might be a lot closer than you intended.

Any semi-competent junior high editor would've caught that sentence. Pretty apparent that either (1) that sentence were intentional, or (2) they've decided to crowd-source editing. I felt charitable and decided to pitch into the editing.

I thought about asking if the Ohio RTC pre-approved that sentence ... must ... show ... restraint ...

A fan of Foley's what? (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Que la chingada, everybody's a critic ;) Foley is going the much ado about nothing route. Can't believe so many are going to get this wrong.

Xanax line of drugs kill more people yearly than coke. It's also a gateway drug to herion, which is a big time problem.

You are being hypersensitive IMO. How many here would have dropped a C-Note on Frank running through the best America has to offer at the Trials? (Not me, no way!). And then how many would have tabbed Frank an Olympian after trips #1 or #2 in Europe? (The first qualifier was said to be "murderers row"). To me Foley is giving props to a guy who overcame the odds, nothing more.

People are "hot & cold" on Foley because he is opinionated and can string sentences together. I, on the other hand, am thankful.

Reactions: ev_flores0331
Frank was a huge underdog, by everyone's estimate. His victory was an upset. He wasn't even seeded was he? But he did it and is an example to all that you still have to compete and when you do, anything can happen. I think it was more a compliment than a criticism. Nevertheless, its on the Tank bulletin board. You can bet on that.

Why can't MM succeed, too, at that level. He is training at the NLWC..... Need I say more? The Club is only getting better. MM has beaten the best and his loses to them were close. Anything can happen. Just ask Bo. His MM bout was even more improbable.

Frank was a huge underdog, by everyone's estimate. His victory was an upset. He wasn't even seeded was he? But he did it and is an example to all that you still have to compete and when you do, anything can happen. I think it was more a compliment than a criticism. Nevertheless, its on the Tank bulletin board. You can bet on that.

Why can't MM succeed, too, at that level. He is training at the NLWC..... Need I say more? The Club is only getting better. MM has beaten the best and his loses to them were close. Anything can happen. Just ask Bo. His MM bout was even more improbable.
Wasn't Frank the 9th seed?

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
You guys got me to go read Foley's article (not a fan). Anyway, who knows what exactly he meant about Molinaro. His comments on the Minnesota situation is what was quite disturbing to me. He went off the rails on that one. Anyway, on a positive note, the pandas and bottle flip videos were funny.

You might be right. I was thinking only 8 were seeded in each class. Pico was seven. Nico, Garrett, Cox, Zain, IMar, and Dieringer weren't top eight either.

You might be right. I was thinking only 8 were seeded in each class. Pico was seven. Nico, Garrett, Cox, Zain, IMar, and Dieringer weren't top eight either.

65 kg/143 lbs.
Top-Eight Rankings
1. Brent Metcalf, Iowa City, Iowa (New York AC/Hawkeye WC)
2. James Green, Lincoln, Neb. (Titan Mercury WC)
3. Jordan Oliver, Tempe, Ariz. (Sunkist Kids)
4. Jimmy Kennedy, Ann Arbor, Mich. (New York AC/Cliff Keen WC)
5. Reece Humphrey, Columbus, Ohio (New York AC/Ohio RTC)
6. Logan Stieber, Columbus, Ohio (Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
7. Aaron Pico, Whittier, Calif. (Titan Mercury WC)
8. Kellen Russell, Ann Arbor, Mich. (New York AC/Cliff Keen WC)

Additional Qualifiers
Frank Molinaro, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)
Jason Chamberlain, Lincoln, Neb. (Titan Mercury WC)
Jayson Ness, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
Dean Heil, Brunswick, Ohio (Oklahoma State/Cowboy WC)
Zain Retherford, Benton, Pa. (Penn State/Nittany Lion WC)

I think the confusion with the 9 seed is that he wrestled Kellen Russell first. Just looking at all the names on the list, incredible lineup of wrestlers.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT