ADVERTISEMENT

Football: Buckeye's offensive line coach let go

He is a great offensive line coach, but a mediocre recruiter and that’s what got him fired. Ryan Day pushed out one of his defensive coaches earlier this week. The definition of Accountability seems to be different at Ohio State as compared to Penn State.

Reactions: rrdd2021 and Ian
He is a great offensive line coach, but a mediocre recruiter and that’s what got him fired. Ryan Day pushed out one of his defensive coaches earlier this week. The definition of Accountability seems to be different at Ohio State as compared to Penn State.
I love the consistency of this board.
We complain about the turnover in coaches and how change affects performance and recruiting.
Ohio State fires a coach and it becomes an accountability issue.

We complain about the turnover in coaches and how change affects performance and recruiting.
Read what the Ohio State experts are saying about his termination. There were no issues with the performance of their OLine, the issue came down to his recruiting effort and not doing what Ryan Day wanted. That is accountability 101.

Read what the Ohio State experts are saying about his termination. There were no issues with the performance of their OLine, the issue came down to his recruiting effort and not doing what Ryan Day wanted. That is accountability 101.
OSU's O-line was really poor in run blocking. They had 4 OTs starting on the line to get their most talented guys out there. They pass protected very well, but terrible in run blocking. I seem to recall their line was a mess a few years ago, too, but otherwise that unit has been really solid.

Day isn't messing around. Demoted the DC after 2 games, fired the OL coach, and apparently other firings are expected. Spent $2 mil a year to get Knowles as DC, and they're apparently paying big bucks to get UCLA's OC to become their new OL coach.

Say what you want, but it's clear they're willing to make moves to win. Saban demonstrated the value of ruthlessness in this department.

OSU's O-line was really poor in run blocking. They had 4 OTs starting on the line to get their most talented guys out there. They pass protected very well, but terrible in run blocking. I seem to recall their line was a mess a few years ago, too, but otherwise that unit has been really solid.

Day isn't messing around. Demoted the DC after 2 games, fired the OL coach, and apparently other firings are expected. Spent $2 mil a year to get Knowles as DC, and they're apparently paying big bucks to get UCLA's OC to become their new OL coach.

Say what you want, but it's clear they're willing to make moves to win. Saban demonstrated the value of ruthlessness in this department.
OSU averaged 180 rushing yards per game and ranked 44th in this statistic. Last year, they averaged 257 ypg. PSU averaged 110 this year (113th) and 174 last year. I think we would be happy if we were running the ball like OSU.

Reactions: tlbakernc

They also have the $. Likely specific donors are footing whatever $ is needed for staffing upgrades. Do not think we have donors telling Sandy and CJF to spend whatever it takes to hire the very best, and that they got the check.

Which is why Franklin has fired several coaches, including Herb Hand and the OC from Minnesota whose name presently escapes me after one season right?

Hell yeah! We need to learn how to hold on every play and get penalized once a year!
If OSU is allowed to hold on every play, why wasn't their run game better than it was? The poor run blocking was probably a factor in the dismissal of the coach.

Hope you don’t expect consistency across dozens of posters on a board, many of whom are 🤡

LMAO. One of the most moronic posts of the century. His worst o line is 20 times better than anything Franklin put on the field in 9 years.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Which is why Franklin has fired several coaches, including Herb Hand and the OC from Minnesota whose name presently escapes me after one season right?
The guy who did just about the same thing that the new guy did: Confused qb who can't get the right play on time, zero running game, and no time to throw.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
LMAO. One of the most moronic posts of the century. His worst o line is 20 times better than anything Franklin put on the field in 9 years.
Try better at reading my post, my man.

Can you point to where I compared their OL to ours? Thanks.

OSU isn't comparing themselves to us. They're comparing themselves to the Bamas and Georgias and Clemsons of the world.

What I did say was that they struggled in run blocking. And you know what? Ryan Day apparently agrees. This is hardly a secret if you spend more than 30 seconds reading one of the OSU boards.

OSU is competing for national titles. If a key element of the game like run blocking isn't up to par, they are apparently willing to make a change. I suspect their LB coach is next to go. Their LBs haven't been good.

Try better at reading my post, my man.

Can you point to where I compared their OL to ours? Thanks.

OSU isn't comparing themselves to us. They're comparing themselves to the Bamas and Georgias and Clemsons of the world.

What I did say was that they struggled in run blocking. And you know what? Ryan Day apparently agrees. This is hardly a secret if you spend more than 30 seconds reading one of the OSU boards.

OSU is competing for national titles. If a key element of the game like run blocking isn't up to par, they are apparently willing to make a change. I suspect their LB coach is next to go. Their LBs haven't been good.
Ok, fair enough. I stand corrected but I will add that any year ohio state doesn't make the playoff they fire half their staff.

Ok, fair enough. I stand corrected but I will add that any year ohio state doesn't make the playoff they fire half their staff.
I have mixed feelings about this level of "win at all costs". But look at how ruthless Saban is. Clearly it works. He doesn't tolerate any kind of underperformance.

If OSU won't settle for anything but elite-level results, I guess a tip of the hat to them for making the moves they need to make. We'll see if it works out.

If OSU is allowed to hold on every play, why wasn't their run game better than it was? The poor run blocking was probably a factor in the dismissal of the coach.
Probably because your team passed the ball so well! Not being a jerk...but any team that has the depth of record setting receivers didn't need to run any better...except in Ann Arbor.

Reactions: tlbakernc
I have mixed feelings about this level of "win at all costs". But look at how ruthless Saban is. Clearly it works. He doesn't tolerate any kind of underperformance.

If OSU won't settle for anything but elite-level results, I guess a tip of the hat to them for making the moves they need to make. We'll see if it works out.
Agreed. That has been the $64m question since Joe was coaching when cable TV and ESPN came out. Before then, college football was regional. Now it is national in terms of exposure as well as recruiting.

The bottom line is what mix of "Student" and "Athlete" does PSU want? If we want to compete, annually, with tOSU we need to become a football factory.

• Sad
Reactions: step.eng69
Part of the problem this year is that Studrawa decided to start his 4 best OL this year and they were all OTs which - because of their body type - don't have the ability to get low and drive in the trenches - and it showed in the running game. His recruiting has also been a somewhat problem - by OSU standards.

Supposedly, OSU is on the verge of signing Frye from UCLA who had UCLA's running game clicking the last 4 years. Stay tune, we'll see how the change goes. Will there passing game take a step back ?

Part of the problem this year is that Studrawa decided to start his 4 best OL this year and they were all OTs which - because of their body type - don't have the ability to get low and drive in the trenches - and it showed in the running game. His recruiting has also been a somewhat problem - by OSU standards.

Supposedly, OSU is on the verge of signing Frye from UCLA who had UCLA's running game clicking the last 4 years. Stay tune, we'll see how the change goes. Will there passing game take a step back ?

Passing game take a step back?

They just tossed for almost 600 yards in the Rose Bowl, and all those WRs + QB are coming back. Harrison Jr. is going to be a beast, and Smith-Njigba will be on every early Heisman short list next season.

They could probably afford to be more balanced, and they were not good in short yardage running situation. But if you have a pass game that dangerous, roll with it.

Basically, Ryan Day is saying "I have the top offense in the country and will again next year, but it could be better, so I'm firing the people holding us back". ruthless.

OSU averaged 180 rushing yards per game and ranked 44th in this statistic. Last year, they averaged 257 ypg. PSU averaged 110 this year (113th) and 174 last year. I think we would be happy if we were running the ball like OSU.
But the run blocking despite the decent average was the worst in the games that it needed to be best, Oregon, scUM and the PSU game.

Passing game take a step back?

They just tossed for almost 600 yards in the Rose Bowl, and all those WRs + QB are coming back. Harrison Jr. is going to be a beast, and Smith-Njigba will be on every early Heisman short list next season.

They could probably afford to be more balanced, and they were not good in short yardage running situation. But if you have a pass game that dangerous, roll with it.

Basically, Ryan Day is saying "I have the top offense in the country and will again next year, but it could be better, so I'm firing the people holding us back". ruthless.
Don't forget, Utah was starting a guy that was a running back at the start of the season. Due to injuries, Utah had an "open tryout" at CB. tOSU, smartly, saw that and exploited it. Utah adjusted to give the poor kid help but that left a hole at Safety so tOSU started exploiting that.

I am not saying tOSU's passing game isn't good, just stating Utah was cooked and even our passing game would have worked against them. What was different was that Utah went up 14 in the first quarter and couldn't stop Utah's offense so it turned into a track meet.

But the run blocking despite the decent average was the worst in the games that it needed to be best, Oregon, scUM and the PSU game.

LOL. Look at PSU's running game in the past 10 years, yds per game almost always goings down when you play better teams on your schedule.

Franklin doesn't get the benefit of accountability with some posters here. The only decision some would support is his resignation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT