ADVERTISEMENT

Football staffs must keep a database of every single player in the country at this point.

Op2

Mar 16, 2014
A jillion football players come out of high schoo each year. A school tracks then and recruits some and gets some. And it used to be that other than scouting your opponents, it probably didn't go farther than that.

But nowadays, any of the 99+% of players that DON'T sign with your school MAY still be available for your school someday. It seems like a football staff would have to track every player in the country every year.

Every day we here about new guys from other schools that entered the portal. If you decide on that day to start learning about the guy and seeing if you want him at your school, you're way behind. So you have to always track everybody. Or so it seems to me.

Every single may be less relevant for teams like ours...but you are correct. Even some D ll kids like the Mizzou RB develop into Dl stars. Wake had a db starter 2 years ago who transferred from Cal U of PA.

Our high school has 2 PSAC All-stars who are getting walk on sniffs from big programs this off season. If one comes through w $, even 50% scholly, they may go.

So I guess the D ll guys are tracking Dlll?

Once the Covid year eligibility runs out it should thin the herd a bit.

Reactions: bison13
I am sure there are multiple businesses that track all players and the universities subscribe to them for data. They probably have screening systems like people use to screen using and selling stocks. “Show me defensive ends that do a 4.5 40, 33” vertical jump, and weigh 260” or what ever criteria they are looking for.

Would be interesting if some did an article or two on the process. @Richard Schnyderite

I am sure there are multiple businesses that track all players and the universities subscribe to them for data. They probably have screening systems like people use to screen using and selling stocks. “Show me defensive ends that do a 4.5 40, 33” vertical jump, and weigh 260” or what ever criteria they are looking for.

Would be interesting if some did an article or two on the process. @Richard Schnyderite
My company does "usability" studies. They bring in people and have them use our technology. They are recorded and observed behind a one-way mirror. (they sign off that they are being recorded but don't see the cameras to try and simulate real behaviors). They get free time and then are asked to navigate to A and B. At the end, they get a lot of questions. People watch them navigate and note the body language and faces made. The applications track everything they do so you see missteps and how long it took them. They are broken down by age, race, sex, etc.

I'll bet, with streaming apps, they can track all kinds of stuff. They are also starting to give options. ESPN now has the normal cast plus the Manning cast. Last year they had an option where three dudes standing on the field in the end zone commented (one had to leave because his wife went into labor, real or made up IDK). There is an app named "Tunity" that allows you to listen to a local broadcast when watching the network feed (complete will tools to adjust the audio times so that it synchs up).

With the money being spent, I'll bet they know when you scratch your ass during the broadcast. So they know who likes Al versus is disgusted by him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT