For those looking for the Test / Politics board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com
Hello all! Going forward we have decided to make the Test / Politics board a premium forum, as we believe it will help cut down on all nonstop fighting / bickering between posters. It gets tiring after a while and it becomes very hard for us to moderate all the postings.

Now you guys are obviously more than welcome to continue to post on that forum, but you will need a premium subscription to do so. If you chose to do so then you can sign up here very easily. However just because this board is becoming a premium one, does not mean that you can take the political banter to the football board as those posts will still be immediately moved over to the now named current events board.

Thanks all for understanding and have a great day!

Hello all! Going forward we have decided to make the Test / Politics board a premium forum, as we believe it will help cut down on all nonstop fighting / bickering between posters. It gets tiring after a while and it becomes very hard for us to moderate all the postings.

Now you guys are obviously more than welcome to continue to post on that forum, but you will need a premium subscription to do so. If you chose to do so then you can sign up here very easily. However just because this board is becoming a premium one, does not mean that you can take the political banter to the football board as those posts will still be immediately moved over to the now named current events board.

The fact that the Test / Politics board has been supported and allowed to exist for so long is at best bonkers and at worst highly inappropriate. Outright racism, sexism, homophobia, and anti-semitism is rampant on the board it should have been shutdown a long time ago. It’s been effectively unmoderated for several years. Making it a premium board might seem like a reasonable step, but it could also come across as an attempt to further monetize highly inappropriate content. Why does it continue to exist at all?

The fact that the Test / Politics board has been supported and allowed to exist for so long is at best bonkers and at worst highly inappropriate. Outright racism, sexism, homophobia, and anti-semitism is rampant on the board it should have been shutdown a long time ago. It’s been effectively unmoderated for several years. Making it a premium board might seem like a reasonable step, but it could also come across as an attempt to further monetize highly inappropriate content. Why does it continue to exist at all?
Making it premium means likely less users thus making it easier to control. End of the day it’s only there to keep the political stuff off the other boards.

Reactions: NJPSU
how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

Several points occur to me, and I was in the process of making them in a post on the other board yesterday evening when the rug was unceremoniously pulled out from under us. It's a little on the long side because difficult to express in bumper-sticker terms.

At its best, the Test Board was a forum for interesting, thoughtful, and vigorous exchanges on a wide variety of topics. There was actually a lot of that. It was the reason I stuck around and posted there over the course of years...especially in the college football off-season.

At its worst, it was a sewer where overgrown, emotionally-stunted juveniles played in the mud...apparently because mud holds a major attraction for them. There was also a lot of that...and in recent months I had the unscientific impression it was getting worse.

It's the job of moderators to help create an environment encouraging the first category of discourse while sanctioning the second. If the sanctions are applied consistently and fairly, the objectionable behavior is minimized or altogether eliminated.

However, there was effectively no moderation on the Test Board, and my sense is that from Day One of the transition to new ownership, Richie and company had no interest, time, or inclination to ride herd on a non-sports forum. They may even have resented being put in that difficult position in the first place.

This brings us to the events of yesterday. The way it went down strikes me as unprofessional and disrespectful...to the point that you have to wonder what the real motive is. Granted, not everyone posting there deserves respect, but from a business standpoint it's still hard to understand. I just don't believe that more advance notice and information couldn't have been given.

Richie's assurance in Cup's thread that nobody will be kicked off the new premium version of the board is actually not a selling point. There are people who should be kicked off...or at the very least warned that they will be kicked off if they continue to violate the rules. I am not inclined to pay $99...or $49...or $9...for the privilege of rolling in mud with hateful morons who've been given free rein.

Look, there's a clear difference between the vigorous give-and-take of debating political and cultural issues, an exercise which by its nature is often heated...and abusive personal attacks on other posters and their families. You don't need a degree in rocket science to distinguish between the two.

That said, it's also important to note that we live in a time when many people attempt to shut down debate by labeling opinions in disagreement with theirs as racist, bigoted, homophobic, etc. The word for this is censorship: a dishonest game intended to delegitimize opposing points of view. It's essential that moderators not fall into this trap or allow their judgment to be colored by their own bias. Everyone with a brain brings bias to the table, but some jobs and roles require the integrity to rise above that.

Finally, I can't help but note the screaming irony of Paoli's above comment. He's one of those who's quick to put labels on people. Yet a few months ago on the Test Board he expressed the wish that my wife and children be raped...and that's the problem: A) that he judged he was free to say such a thing in the environment of that board; and B) that he was correct in that judgment.

Several points occur to me, and I was in the process of making them in a post on the other board yesterday evening when the rug was unceremoniously pulled out from under us. It's a little on the long side because difficult to express in bumper-sticker terms.

At its best, the Test Board was a forum for interesting, thoughtful, and vigorous exchanges on a wide variety of topics. There was actually a lot of that. It was the reason I stuck around and posted there over the course of years...especially in the college football off-season.

At its worst, it was a sewer where overgrown, emotionally-stunted juveniles played in the mud...apparently because mud holds a major attraction for them. There was also a lot of that...and in recent months I had the unscientific impression it was getting worse.

It's the job of moderators to help create an environment encouraging the first category of discourse while sanctioning the second. If the sanctions are applied consistently and fairly, the objectionable behavior is minimized or altogether eliminated.

However, there was effectively no moderation on the Test Board, and my sense is that from Day One of the transition to new ownership, Richie and company had no interest, time, or inclination to ride herd on a non-sports forum. They may even have resented being put in that difficult position in the first place.

This brings us to the events of yesterday. The way it went down strikes me as unprofessional and disrespectful...to the point that you have to wonder what the real motive is. Granted, not everyone posting there deserves respect, but from a business standpoint it's still hard to understand. I just don't believe that more advance notice and information couldn't have been given.

Richie's assurance in Cup's thread that nobody will be kicked off the new premium version of the board is actually not a selling point. There are people who should be kicked off...or at the very least warned that they will be kicked off if they continue to violate the rules. I am not inclined to pay $99...or $49...or $9...for the privilege of rolling in mud with hateful morons who've been given free rein.

Look, there's a clear difference between the vigorous give-and-take of debating political and cultural issues, an exercise which by its nature is often heated...and abusive personal attacks on other posters and their families. You don't need a degree in rocket science to distinguish between the two.

That said, it's also important to note that we live in a time when many people attempt to shut down debate by labeling opinions in disagreement with theirs as racist, bigoted, homophobic, etc. The word for this is censorship: a dishonest game intended to delegitimize opposing points of view. It's essential that moderators not fall into this trap or allow their judgment to be colored by their own bias. Everyone with a brain brings bias to the table, but some jobs and roles require the integrity to rise above that.

Finally, I can't help but note the screaming irony of Paoli's above comment. He's one of those who's quick to put labels on people. Yet a few months ago on the Test Board he expressed the wish that my wife and children be raped...and that's the problem: A) that he judged he was free to say such a thing in the environment of that board; and B) that he was correct in that judgment.
First , this sight is trash. I’ll use it for free but not pay.

Your observations are accurate imo. I stopped posting on this board because of all the off topic silliness here and just posted there.

There was little football here and more other nonsense. But at the end of the day there’s no need for a message board like this these days, there are other options available.

I have no problem with how it was done. I've expected it for years.

Second, you sum up the previous post about the test board being bad but who was one of the most prolific posters who often went over the top calling people names. Not only that, started threads calling people names (meaning it was pre-meditated and not a response to a thread that was rising in tension).

Lastly, I think you sum up very well the value of the test board. At a time when news is censored and completely tainted with editorial slants from both sides, it was fun to go to a place where the news and opinions were raw.

Well done.

Making it premium means likely less users thus making it easier to control. End of the day it’s only there to keep the political stuff off the other boards.

The only football board that is accompanied with a “politics” board is the PSU rivals site. The history of the board is that it started as “test” board, then it was “test/politics” and now it’s “current events” - that should tell you something about the evolution.

I have occasionally browsed and posted on the Test Board, more so in the past. There are some good people and posts there, but there have been occasional posts in the past with such violent undertones that I believe a few previous posters are on a watch list (seriously.)

I never used the political board, but I do miss the information on the COVID board. Is that still around?

Jerry: It's all good. Your electing not to continue participating in the Current Events Board means that you will have additional time to spend with your daughter at her convent. Oh, wait ...

First , this sight is trash. I’ll use it for free but not pay.

Your observations are accurate imo. I stopped posting on this board because of all the off topic silliness here and just posted there.

There was little football here and more other nonsense. But at the end of the day there’s no need for a message board like this these days, there are other options available.
Buh bye.

Take it to the test board!!! I'll lend you the money :)

LOL. Paoli the insane speaks.

Jerry: It's all good. Your electing not to continue participating in the Current Events Board means that you will have additional time to spend with your daughter at her convent. Oh, wait ...
Jerry’s son is a professional right wing troll who makes money off bashing certain segments of society. Jerry would frequently post his son’s hateful content on the message board and then cry when his family was criticized.

Good riddance to Jerry and the Test Board.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
Jerry’s son is a professional right wing troll who makes money off bashing certain segments of society. Jerry would frequently post his son’s hateful content on the message board and then cry when his family was criticized.

Look who is back. NJ the very stupid.

This thread, and the posts in it, are an understandable consequence of the Test Board (aka the Current Events Board) converting - overnight - to a subscription board. The former Test Board members who haven't subscribed to the Current Events Board have nowhere else to post questions or comments.

But I'll wager that this thread is gonna get political, and have to be moved at some point..

I'm curious. Why did you frequent the board if you have such a negative view of its existence? Doesn't make sense if these are your true feelings, that it should not have existed, that you would post as frequently as you have over the years. It's like making an accusation that the local public swimming pool is nothing but a pool of piss, but then you swim in it every day. 🤔

Last edited:

The whole concept of the Test Board was that it would not be moderated, otherwise it doesn't quite work.

And the last several posts in this thread are a microcosm of why it's so pathetic that @Richie O and Rivals have continued to sponsor the Test Board for so many years...
Yep. Which is why the test board should remain free…. to keep this page clear of all the political talk. The test board was an automatic sewage treatment center that kept this board clean. It worked, and it worked well.

Oh please. In six months I posted a grand total of two tweets by Matt, the second for the sole purpose of triggering you and your ilk. Watching you people spazz out had become a guilty pleasure...but not a healthy one.

To be clear, Matt's fair game. I said that early on. It comes with the territory. However, there's a difference between hard-hitting "criticism" and scurrilous lies. He gets a lot of that and ugly threats as well. In fact, last year somebody threatened to burn his wife and kids alive in their house.

This is why the company provides his family with 24-hour armed security...all of them military veterans. These are the times we live in. Yet the people who traffic in this kind of hate think nothing of turning on a dime and dispensing moral lectures on compassion and tolerance.

Separately, no doubt my daughter, a Catholic contemplative sister of the Poor Clare order, is a "right-wing troll" as well, which would account for the attacks on her. My God, man, hate has warped your brain, sickened your soul, and deadened your conscience. And not just yours.

Look, the record will show that my previous post in this thread and one in a related thread were thoughtful and substantive as usual...and also non-political. I intend for it to stay that way, so why don't you run along back to the new-and-not-improved Test Board and keep your slime over there. I'm not going to dignify your lying blather with any further responses.

Oh please. In six months I posted a grand total of two tweets by Matt, the second for the sole purpose of triggering you and your ilk. Watching you people spazz out had become a guilty pleasure...but not a healthy one.

To be clear, Matt's fair game. I said that early on. It comes with the territory. However, there's a difference between hard-hitting "criticism" and scurrilous lies. He gets a lot of that and ugly threats as well. In fact, last year somebody threatened to burn his wife and kids alive in their house.

This is why the company provides his family with 24-hour armed security...all of them military veterans. These are the times we live in. Yet the people who traffic in this kind of hate think nothing of turning on a dime and dispensing moral lectures on compassion and tolerance.

Separately, no doubt my daughter, a Catholic contemplative sister of the Poor Clare order, is a "right-wing troll" as well, which would account for the attacks on her. My God, man, hate has warped your brain, sickened your soul, and deadened your conscience. And not just yours.

Look, the record will show that my previous post in this thread and one in a related thread were thoughtful and substantive as usual...and also non-political. I intend for it to stay that way, so why don't you run along back to the new-and-not-improved Test Board and keep your slime over there. I'm not going to dignify your lying blather with any further responses.
You know you are engaging a sociopath?

Reactions: bison13
You've enabled the trolling.

No thanks.
16fd2d8a-cb6d-4d62-973a-02182ad0614d_text.gif

Bottom line, just another arbitrary restriction of free speech IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT