ADVERTISEMENT

Four great observations about Penn State's underclassmen TEs on the Saturday show by Jack Ham.

BWI PHIL GROSZ

May 29, 2001
Several outstanding observations by Jack during the show when we were talking about Penn State's talented group of underclassmen TEs [Brenton Strange [6-4, 250], Theo Johnson [6-6, 252] and Tyler Warren [6-6, 250].

Jack talked about Mike Yurcich would be utilizing two- and three-TE formations in the passing game to create valuable mismatch problems with opponent's secondaries.

I submit to our Lions Den members look closely for those type of formations being utilized by Coach Yurcich when Penn State's offense is in the red zone, where Penn State's passing game has struggled mightily the last two or three years. Plus Strange, Johnson and Warren are all good blockers which should help Penn State's running game in the red zone.

Also, I was pleased Jack emphasized how good of a blocker Johnson was his freshman year on campus. He essentially said that Johnson was Penn State's best blocking TE on the roster. Quite a feat for a freshman TE coming from Canada who essenially was a flex-TE and tall wide receiver on the football field and who hardly ever blocked during his high school and prep football career in Canada.

Personally, I think Johnson is the best freshman blocking TE I've seen perform for the Nittany Lions since AA Penn State TE and All-Pro Kyle Brady [6-5, 260] back in 1991.

Finally, I like how Jack mentioned how good of a route runner Warren was in spring practice with his understanding of the passing game. That probably relates to the fact that during most of his high school football career Warren was a QB.

This in my mind is one of the best, if not the best group of underclassmen TEs, I've ever seen assembled at Penn State. They are all 6-foot-4 to 6-foot-6 and around 250 or more pounds, plus they are all good quality blockers and all three of them can stretch the field vertically with the passing game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News