ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin and Player Comments on Peach Bowl Opt-Outs

The fact the some participate with all the fun and games gifts etc and don’t play is bs.
Apparently that's part of "the plan" we've heard Franklin mention so much over the past few weeks. Limited reps, letting players take the trip, etc. All part of the culture that the coaches probably don't like but can't badmouth publicly at the risk of hurting future recruiting.

I get the opt outs from an individual player perspective, I really do and can't really blame the players that are poised for careers in the NFL. That doesn't mean I have to like it though. Franklin stringing everyone along for weeks only for us to have multiple key player opt out announcements 24 hours before the game was kind of shitty. I can't imagine gamblers are very happy today. I was excited for this game, and seeing all of the opt outs this morning removed any and all excitement and hope for a win.

As a fan why would I ever spend a small fortune to travel to a bowl game when the best players aren't going to play and the team is likely to get pulverized like they did today? If players don't care, why should we?

The only thing I see that will possibly fix this is that when players are inevitably considered paid employees they may have contracts that essentially force them to play in bowl games or there may be serious financial repercussions.

Georgia has a lot more NFL talent than Franklin, yet nobody opted out. Team vs individual culture.
Franklin had to recruit two new coordinators, and I am not sure how much that impacted our bowl prep. Kifflin was obviously more prepared. Not to mention the mismatch with M's excellent Wr's and our second string cb's.
I'll give Franklin a pass on this game.

Reactions: Strick73
If I was a Penn State fan who traveled to the game, I'd feel like I got a bait and switch run on me. If you're going to have opt outs, just be up front about it. Don't take victory laps about your great culture and why there are so few opt outs, and then have 5 opt outs.

Apparently that's part of "the plan" we've heard Franklin mention so much over the past few weeks. Limited reps, letting players take the trip, etc. All part of the culture that the coaches probably don't like but can't badmouth publicly at the risk of hurting future recruiting.

I get the opt outs from an individual player perspective, I really do and can't really blame the players that are poised for careers in the NFL. That doesn't mean I have to like it though. Franklin stringing everyone along for weeks only for us to have multiple key player opt out announcements 24 hours before the game was kind of shitty. I can't imagine gamblers are very happy today. I was excited for this game, and seeing all of the opt outs this morning removed any and all excitement and hope for a win.

As a fan why would I ever spend a small fortune to travel to a bowl game when the best players aren't going to play and the team is likely to get pulverized like they did today? If players don't care, why should we?

The only thing I see that will possibly fix this is that when players are inevitably considered paid employees they may have contracts that essentially force them to play in bowl games or there may be serious financial repercussions.
I agree about the bowls being minimized. I’m sure as hell not paying a fortune to attend a bowl with this crap going on. What’s the point?

Halfway through today's game I started to understand. Bowls have become something like spring games. They are not at all like bowl games were say 25 years ago. The players don't take them seriously and the coaches consider them to be prep for next year. The Peach Bowl = the Blue White game.

Halfway through today's game I started to understand. Bowls have become something like spring games. They are not at all like bowl games were say 25 years ago. The players don't take them seriously and the coaches consider them to be prep for next year. The Peach Bowl = the Blue White game.
You didn't believe me? lol

Absolutely.
Bowl games are a preview of the next season except the playoff games.

This is the way.

Marketing money watered the bowl games down 20 years ago.
Bowl games are opportunities for players who may have had a reserve or formational role to establish themselves to fans or maybe even the nation if they have a big game.
I think it's great that a guy who sat behind say Caleb Williams all season gets a shot to finally show his stuff after working his butt off all year and getting a few garbage time reps.
I kinda like this scenario. It's certainly better the attaching false meaning to the Holiday Bowl.

I don't think that is the case for every team. But certainly how Franklin approaches it

And of course because they are pros, they'll have agents who will make sure they opt out .... so that ain't happening! Face it, unless the teams are playing for a NC, the product on the field will be watered down. Even then, I'm sure a few will opt out.

As I stated In another thread, if the team is ok with them being on the sideline then so be it, but no way should they be in uniform if they are not playing
I’d rather take a travel squad player who never got to dress for a game than a player who’s decided not to play. If you don’t play, you don’t make the trip, pretty simple.

I’d rather take a travel squad player who never got to dress for a game than a player who’s decided not to play. If you don’t play, you don’t make the trip, pretty simple.

This if you’re not on the team anymore you’re not on the team. Bring someone who is.

Hopefully this is the last season we deal w this for awhile w the expanded playoff.

Individual decisions. But they let the team and fans down. If they can live with that, so be it. I couldn’t
They let the fans down? Come on. It was a bowl game
Teammates don't care--they understand the importance or lack thereof for these games

What is the reason for opening the transfer portal at the current time? They have a whole off-season they could have worked in.

Reactions: NedFromYork
If I was a Penn State fan who traveled to the game, I'd feel like I got a bait and switch run on me. If you're going to have opt outs, just be up front about it. Don't take victory laps about your great culture and why there are so few opt outs, and then have 5 opt outs.
Plus several on limited snap counts

Reactions: njlion and TangSoo
They let the fans down? Come on. It was a bowl game
Teammates don't care--they understand the importance or lack thereof for these games
Why do the teams that win these games appear to be celebrating so much if they don’t care?

It is a matter of honor whether someone plays. There is no rule or law they have to. It is dishonorable to go enjoy a free vacation without playing. They quit and that is their legacy.

Reactions: Grass and scrivener
Why do the teams that win these games appear to be celebrating so much if they don’t care?

It is a matter of honor whether someone plays. There is no rule or law they have to. It is dishonorable to go enjoy a free vacation without playing. They quit and that is their legacy.
Same reason I celebrate winning a beer league hockey game. It doesn't make it meaningful.

The vacation is the reward for the season. If you want to remember Olu for skipping a bowl game instead of coming back for another season that's on you

Last edited:
To many moving parts - James Franklin, he always has the right excuses he and Lando always have the answers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT