ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin used Tony Dorsett's taunting Trace after game in 2016 as motivation this year

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
https://247sports.com/college/penn-...y-Pitt-legend-Tony-Dorsetts-taunts-121715974/

8647297.jpg

Following Penn State’s crushing 42-39 loss to Pitt at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh in 2016, Nittany Lion quarterback Trace McSorley was standing just outside the PSU locker room answering questions from reporters. Then a loud voice could be heard booming through the large corridor. At first the ambient noise in the busy area made it difficult to hear exactly what was being said.

Then it became clear. “Hail to Pitt! Hail to Pitt! Hail to Pitt!” Over and over. McSorley paused to let the commotion pass. It ended with a “My boys, Pitt, yeah!” And then without missing a beat, McSorley picked up where he ad left off.

The taunting was coming from an interesting source — Pitt Heisman trophy winner and Hall of Famer Tony Dorsett. He was 62 years old at the time. You can see the incident in the video above.

“I remember it, I remember exactly how it went like it was yesterday,” McSorley said late Saturday night. “We used it a little as motivation — it got shown during the team video today, just kind of a little added boost right before the game for a lot of guys. … There’s things that stick with you."

Meanwhile, Dorsett was one of multiple Pitt Hall of Famers who were honored at halftime of the game, a list that also included fellow legends like Dan Marino, Mike Ditka and Hugh Green. With the Panthers trailing 14-6 and driving rain hitting the area, the stadium was already half empty during the ceremony. The facility was practically devoid of Pitt fans by the time the blowout ended.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...y-Pitt-legend-Tony-Dorsetts-taunts-121715974/

8647297.jpg

Following Penn State’s crushing 42-39 loss to Pitt at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh in 2016, Nittany Lion quarterback Trace McSorley was standing just outside the PSU locker room answering questions from reporters. Then a loud voice could be heard booming through the large corridor. At first the ambient noise in the busy area made it difficult to hear exactly what was being said.

Then it became clear. “Hail to Pitt! Hail to Pitt! Hail to Pitt!” Over and over. McSorley paused to let the commotion pass. It ended with a “My boys, Pitt, yeah!” And then without missing a beat, McSorley picked up where he ad left off.

The taunting was coming from an interesting source — Pitt Heisman trophy winner and Hall of Famer Tony Dorsett. He was 62 years old at the time. You can see the incident in the video above.

“I remember it, I remember exactly how it went like it was yesterday,” McSorley said late Saturday night. “We used it a little as motivation — it got shown during the team video today, just kind of a little added boost right before the game for a lot of guys. … There’s things that stick with you."

Meanwhile, Dorsett was one of multiple Pitt Hall of Famers who were honored at halftime of the game, a list that also included fellow legends like Dan Marino, Mike Ditka and Hugh Green. With the Panthers trailing 14-6 and driving rain hitting the area, the stadium was already half empty during the ceremony. The facility was practically devoid of Pitt fans by the time the blowout ended.

I thought we determined at the time that Dorsett had dementia. I believe someone on here confirmed that he has CTE or similar issues. It's not classy nor an excuse but hopefully he isn't brain damaged.

Make sure you hit the link to watch the original incident in the video. Have to turn off adblocker.

I thought we determined at the time that Dorsett had dementia. I believe someone on here confirmed that he has CTE or similar issues. It's not classy nor an excuse but hopefully he isn't brain damaged.

Hasn't changed his personality since his playing days as far as I can tell.

Reactions: We Are . . .
No big deal.....I suspect players would have needed more fingers and / or toes if all the different motivational / bulletin board items were added up!

Trying to find the quotes, but several Lions mentioned the horrible way they were treated after the 2016 game by Pitt fans. The disrespect shown they will never forget about. Sitting in the stands, I knew Franklin would keep throwing until the whistle blew. You f*** with his team, he doesn't forget. He'll get you back, trust me.

In all fairness to Dorsett, his behavior after last years game may have had something to do with his CTE. He was diagnosed in 2013 by doctors at UCLA. Just sayin.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Trying to find the quotes, but several Lions mentioned the horrible way they were treated after the 2016 game by Pitt fans. The disrespect shown they will never forget about. Sitting in the stands, I knew Franklin would keep throwing until the whistle blew. You f*** with his team, he doesn't forget. He'll get you back, trust me.
Yep, just ask Michigan State.

I remember it too Trace, and I'm proud of you for taking the high road and then exacting a brutal, cold, wet revenge.

Sweet, sweet revenge.

Who's laughing now? WE ARE!

Maybe JF is part Sicilian.

Ralph Cindrich is about the only guy worse than Dorsett when it comes to this juvenile behavior. Ole Ralphie's most recent claim was that Joe promised his last scholarship to Ralph over Jack Ham and Ralph took it but then went with Pitt. I do know Joe wrote many letters to Ralph over their time knowing each other but story still seems a little fishy

I would love to go back and read Pitt tweets and posts from that 42-39 game. Little did they know that was the last hurrah and two teams going completely opposite directions

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Dorsett has always been an ass. If I'm not mistaken didn't he flip Joepa off when he played against penn state? He's lacked class before dementia. At least he has an excuse now.

Tony Dorsett, was, is and always will be, an asshole. When he was being honored by the Big 33 in 1990 he blew off the banquet to go to a bar. He is a drunken asshole who happens to have CTE. I know literally hundreds of people who have met him and have never once heard anything positive about him. If Pitt had any shame they would feel horrible he represents their university. He and LeSean represent Pitt perfectly. Low rent, losers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT