ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Penn State vs. Texas in round two of the 2023 NCAA Tournament

At the point I posted that, he was 1-1. We finished the half 2-13.
The bigger problem is on the defensive end. The Texas bigs are flashing into the lane unimpeded and getting easy shots in the lane and if they miss the off side bigs re crashing the board's.
On offense, PSU needs to settle down. Most of the 3 balls by Funk & Lowry have been off balance, not well squared. Wynter and Dread are open alot when Texas doubles Pickett. Wynter is hitting his shots. Keep looking for him during doubles and Texas will have to loosen up if Wynter keeps scoring and Dread keeps hitting his shots.

Reactions: bdgan
Lions are absolutely getting KILLED inside. Texas #1 is having his way inside

The Sam Bowie guy is having practice...jeez we can't stop him

Like giving Cleary and Winter the ball and let them drive. They are so would draw fouls, tire out the d, get them out of position, and frustrate them like crazy,

I don't know if we can come back but PSU is playing tougher right now.

No answer for Disu.

Like giving Cleary and Winter the ball and let them drive. They are so would draw fouls, tire out the d, get them out of position, and frustrate them like crazy,
I hold my breath when Clary drives. He's very quick to the basket but he often goes in there and gets bottled up.

That offensive tip in was a killer. No blocking out at all.

Before people take this the wrong way and get overly sensitive. … obviously we would not be here without lundy. He has had some vitally important games... but he has been absolutely silent especially tonight... and for a player of his experience and ability he has way too many cold nights

Reactions: bdgan
Every time PSU starts to Come back, they answer back. Just can’t get over the hump

If we're still down 8 at 4 minutes we're going to have to press.

UT has dudes....Pickett had issues all night. No team in the B1G has a collective group like this IMO...maybe IU is close.

Great run. This goes to show that your shelf life in the tournament for being only a shooting team and a 1/2 court offense is not very far…. You have to have some modicum of inside game to balance out your team

Reactions: bdgan and psu00
Disu on one end, Funk in a funk on the other end .
I'm surprised Shrews didn't make an adjustment to slow down Disu. I'm not sure what options he had but you can't just let him that low possession after possession.

I probably would have given Henn another shot to get a body on him 15' out.

Reactions: psu00
I'm surprised Shrews didn't make an adjustment to slow down Disu. I'm not sure what options he had but you can't just let him that low possession after possession.
I would have put Mahaffey on him and just let him pester the hell out of him until he fouled out.

Reactions: johnmpsu
I would have put Mahaffey on him and just let him pester the hell out of him until he fouled out.
Maybe. We didn't have many options but it seems to me you've got to try something.

Disu averages 8.5 pts and 4.3 rebounds. Tonight he had 28 pts (14-20) and 10 rebounds.

Reactions: donm and AWS1022
I wish we saved some of the shots from last game. Funk 2-10 vs 8-10 alone. Pickett also only 5-13 tonight. An average shooting game from those two and we win but tonight was not our night.

It was a fun ride. Hopefully we don’t have to wait long to get back to the big dance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT