ADVERTISEMENT

Game week

bdgan

May 29, 2008
The last time we saw PSU they were getting dominated by Ole Miss. So what will be different next Saturday?

PSU played the bowl game without two of their best CBs, King & Dixon. We're counting on transfers Harris & Kimber to fill those voids. Harris is highly touted but he only played a few games last year. He had 3 solo tackles all season. It seems PSU is betting heavily on his potential, not his actual performance. Kimber has a lot of experience but wasn't a star player. Are we expecting too much from the transfers or will they both have a strong immediate impact?

I think PSU should be OK at DE with Sutton & Carter moving over from LB. Unfortunately those guys are going to have to play a lot of snaps because of Zuriah Fisher's injury. But what about LB? King should be solid but Rojas hasn't played much. Deluca has been solid but not spectacular. Depth is a concern at this position just like DE.

The offense loses 3 OL starters but might be OK. Can Cousins make an impact as a freshman? Are highly rated Williams & Birchmeier be ready? What about Rucci who underperformed his rankings at Wisconsin? Can Shelton protect Allar's blind side?

WR could still be a mess. We lost KLS who was targeted only once in the Peach Bowl. His whole story remains a mystery. We also lost Cephas who didn't play in the Peach Bowl. PSU is counting a lot on Fleming but Franklin hasn't said much about him and some sources show him as second team to start the season. Wallace is good if healthy. Clifford is solid but not much of a deep threat. Is this the year that Saunders or Evans finally step up?

How much of a difference will the new coordinators make? Is Allen as good as Diaz? Can coach K come up with a better scheme? Will Pribula get more snaps? Can we count on Sahaydak?

PSU has a lot of unknowns coming into the season. I think they have the potential to win 11 games but they could just as easily lose 3 and miss the playoffs. They certainly can't afford to lose to WVa on Saturday. I expect WVa to stack the box and force PSU to throw 10+ yds downfield. I don't think PSU can simply impose their will in the running game. They have to keep WVa defenders off balance in the passing game. I think PSU has to score 28 pts to win this game. My prediction is a close game at half but winning it in the second half. PSU 31, WVa 24

The last time we saw PSU they were getting dominated by Ole Miss. So what will be different next Saturday?

PSU played the bowl game without two of their best CBs, King & Dixon. We're counting on transfers Harris & Kimber to fill those voids. Harris is highly touted but he only played a few games last year. He had 3 solo tackles all season. It seems PSU is betting heavily on his potential, not his actual performance. Kimber has a lot of experience but wasn't a star player. Are we expecting too much from the transfers or will they both have a strong immediate impact?

I think PSU should be OK at DE with Sutton & Carter moving over from LB. Unfortunately those guys are going to have to play a lot of snaps because of Zuriah Fisher's injury. But what about LB? King should be solid but Rojas hasn't played much. Deluca has been solid but not spectacular. Depth is a concern at this position just like DE.

The offense loses 3 OL starters but might be OK. Can Cousins make an impact as a freshman? Are highly rated Williams & Birchmeier be ready? What about Rucci who underperformed his rankings at Wisconsin? Can Shelton protect Allar's blind side?

WR could still be a mess. We lost KLS who was targeted only once in the Peach Bowl. His whole story remains a mystery. We also lost Cephas who didn't play in the Peach Bowl. PSU is counting a lot on Fleming but Franklin hasn't said much about him and some sources show him as second team to start the season. Wallace is good if healthy. Clifford is solid but not much of a deep threat. Is this the year that Saunders or Evans finally step up?

How much of a difference will the new coordinators make? Is Allen as good as Diaz? Can coach K come up with a better scheme? Will Pribula get more snaps? Can we count on Sahaydak?

PSU has a lot of unknowns coming into the season. I think they have the potential to win 11 games but they could just as easily lose 3 and miss the playoffs. They certainly can't afford to lose to WVa on Saturday. I expect WVa to stack the box and force PSU to throw 10+ yds downfield. I don't think PSU can simply impose their will in the running game. They have to keep WVa defenders off balance in the passing game. I think PSU has to score 28 pts to win this game. My prediction is a close game at half but winning it in the second half. PSU 31, WVa 24
I share your concerns about this team, and that’s why we’re probably slightly overrated as the preseason number 8 team in the country; I expected that we’d be ranked around 11 or 12 in the preseason poll. If you told me that we’d go 10-2 this season, I’d sign up for that in blood. If we stay away from catastrophic injuries, this season is going to depend on whether Allar takes the next step. If he does, then PSU will be a playoff team; if he doesn’t, then we’re probably looking at a four loss season,

Regarding the WVU game, PSU should do to WVU what they are going to do to us; that is, stack the box with seven or eight defenders and force their qb to beat them with the pass, which he shouldn’t be able to do consistently, PSU also should assign a player specifically to Greene. Also, if PSU gives up 24 points to WVU, I believe that the cause for that would be playing a hot afternoon game on turf in a first game. Therefore, the winner of this game probably will depend on who has the most depth.

Reactions: Jerry
I am worried about this game which is done because my nervousness controls nothing to the outcome of the game

that’s why we’re probably slightly overrated as the preseason number 8 team in the country; I expected that we’d be ranked around 11 or 12 in the preseason poll

Who should be ranked ahead of us?

11-1 / 10-2 seems like where we fit. 2 losses means somebody on the schedule either improved immensely or pulls a giant upset.

No Michigan, nor Oregon on the schedule bodes well. Expecting USC to find a defense in one off season and Wisky to become a 10-2 Spread team in the same time frame is a lot. (Because if Wisky can throw on us and beat us, that means they may only lose to Bama and Oregon)

Oregon has had the same issues as us. They can't beat the top dog. Still doesn't slow down their hype. Remember, some here liked them better than Washington even after UDub beat them once.

Reactions: LandoComando
Who should be ranked ahead of us?

11-1 / 10-2 seems like where we fit. 2 losses means somebody on the schedule either improved immensely or pulls a giant upset.

No Michigan, nor Oregon on the schedule bodes well. Expecting USC to find a defense in one off season and Wisky to become a 10-2 Spread team in the same time frame is a lot. (Because if Wisky can throw on us and beat us, that means they may only lose to Bama and Oregon)

Oregon has had the same issues as us. They can't beat the top dog. Still doesn't slow down their hype. Remember, some here liked them better than Washington even after UDub beat them once.
The way we finished last season has an impact on my optimism.

PSU was 6-0 heading into OSU last year. They had solid wins over WVa & Iowa and the only hiccup was Northwestern where we were tied at half 10-10 before we opened it up in the second half. I was feeling good about our chances to beat at least one of OSU or Michigan.

Then the offense laid an egg at Ohio State but bounced back vs Indiana and Maryland. We were 8-1, Allar looked good vs MD, and KLS had led the team in receiving for 7 of the 9 games. We had Michigan at home and some good momentum. But the PSU offense laid another egg with KLS only having one catch. Wallace was injured by then and Allar only had 70 yds passing for the game. We beat Rutgers and MSU but any good feelings about the offense were shot. Then we got beat up in the Peach Bowl.

KLS completely disappeared for the last 4 games and I guess we'll never understand why. I assumed he was in the dog house and was going to transfer but he came back for spring practice before transferring. This year we're without KLS & Cephas but we got Fleming. Perhaps franklin is intentionally keeping quiet about him but it looks like he might not even start. Ugh! So what's going to be different from the 2-2 finish last year? I think we're counting a lot on Coach K and a WR room with better attitudes. That's not a lot to hang your hat on.

You're point about what teams ranked behind us is valid but last year we won with defense and that group now has questions at CB & LB. There don't seem to be any new playmakers on offense and we replace 3 OL to the NFL. Coach K has a big task if this team is going to live up to expectations.

I think we beat WVa but I'm only 70% confident. Also, Franklin's record against historically strong teams like USC is bad. They replace Caleb Williams but Millier Moss lit it up in their bowl game vs Louisville. Can our CBs hold up? I'm saying 10-2 like most others but I'm not overly confident.

This year we're without KLS & Cephas but we got Fleming. Perhaps franklin is intentionally keeping quiet about him but it looks like he might not even start. Ugh! So what's going to be different from the 2-2 finish last year? I think we're counting a lot on Coach K and a WR room with better attitudes. That's not a lot to hang your hat on

On the one hand, I think we will miss KLS. He had a lot of experience and made some big plays (do we beat Indiana without him?).

On the other, the quiet concensus is that he was a detrimental character to the WR room. He took long stretches off. He had just as many flaws as the other WRs did (drops, lack of separation).

Cephas had one good game. Not enough to be a concern.

Fleming is HOPEFULLY healthy and brings what he brought to OSU: 30+ catches, 400+ yards. He isn't MHJr, nor should he be expected to.

I, also, believe Franklin is playing the psychology game with him. This is a kid we wanted big time out of HS and he spurned us. No biggie, OSU has been putting out WRs like crazy. He never was lost in the shuffle, but he never turned into anything beyond their #3. Maybe that's his ceiling. Maybe he can quietly lead our WR and have his best year.

I also don't worry about the WR room as much because we could have brought in more than Fleming and chose not to. At CB, we brought in 2 guys. One with a ton of experience, the other a high end guy we barely missed on the recruiting class prior.

And the biggest thing for me: Allar has one year under his belt. I think that pays dividends.

On the one hand, I think we will miss KLS. He had a lot of experience and made some big plays (do we beat Indiana without him?).

On the other, the quiet concensus is that he was a detrimental character to the WR room. He took long stretches off. He had just as many flaws as the other WRs did (drops, lack of separation).

Cephas had one good game. Not enough to be a concern.

Fleming is HOPEFULLY healthy and brings what he brought to OSU: 30+ catches, 400+ yards. He isn't MHJr, nor should he be expected to.

I, also, believe Franklin is playing the psychology game with him. This is a kid we wanted big time out of HS and he spurned us. No biggie, OSU has been putting out WRs like crazy. He never was lost in the shuffle, but he never turned into anything beyond their #3. Maybe that's his ceiling. Maybe he can quietly lead our WR and have his best year.

I also don't worry about the WR room as much because we could have brought in more than Fleming and chose not to. At CB, we brought in 2 guys. One with a ton of experience, the other a high end guy we barely missed on the recruiting class prior.

And the biggest thing for me: Allar has one year under his belt. I think that pays dividends.
I have a feeling the receivers have been hearing the smack talk all year and have something to prove. They have to have some attitude to prove the naysayers wrong.

Perhaps KLS was a problem. Cepheus was also a disappointment and may have been sulking the second half of the season.

New OC should excite them. And an improved QB should help them.

Look for them to surprise….🤷🏻‍♀️

I think more than just 2 DB's were out. A few OL were out also. Chop Roberson

If that happens I'll feel overly confident like I did after last year's wins over WVa and Iowa.
While anything can happen in college football especially on the road there is a huge talent gap between the two teams. If the new OC is what is expected psu shouldn’t have any trouble

Reactions: bdroc
Bingo... I doubt it will happen but I would love to see us come out with a mix of ISU/KSU...2 TE pass catchers with mixed 4 WR. Confuse the crap out of their LBs
Year in, year out their strength. Time to abuse that weakness.

psu should beat wva, but upsets do happen...a loss to the hillbillies would be a big hole to crawl out of...

True but those players aren't playing this year either. This year's team is similar to the bowl team with Fleming, Harris, Kimber, and Rucci.
WVU lost several key players from last year’s team too, including a center who’s going to be the Steelers’ starting center, and an All-America cornerback who probably is going to make the Steelers.

Even with all of the garbage that happened with that Peach Bowl, that watered down PSU team had chances to beat an Ole Miss that was mostly intact.

There are definitely some unknowns going into this season, but there is also massive talent. I’m confident in the coaches and players ability to have that talent coalesce into a very formidable team. Virtually all players and coaches interviewed have exuded a “ quit confidence “ that I haven’t seen since the Barkley, McSorley years. Allar looks bigger and stronger ( I know he lost weight, but he’s “in shape”) , and his hands seem to make the football look small. He also appears much more mature, articulate and confident. Combine this with significant returning ( top end) talent, and I believe we are in for a potentially elite season ( assuming no major injuries). — Phil Steele had several of Penn State’s schedule algorithms going undefeated…. I’m optimistic that this can be a very, very good year. Going to be fun!

Last edited:
True but those players aren't playing this year either. This year's team is similar to the bowl team with Fleming, Harris, Kimber, and Rucci.

They've had 9 months to work on being this years team. Better than the month they had to prepare for Ole Miss. That's what the sport is about. Player development. There is a difference in losing players a month before a bowl and graduation/draft losses.

And to be honest, that was a good Ole Miss team. I'm not 100% that we beat them fully stocked.

There are definitely some unknowns going into this season, but there is also massive talent. I’m confident in the coaches and players ability to have that talent coalesce into a very formidable team. Virtually all players and coaches interviewed have exuded a “ quit confidence “ that I haven’t seen since the Barkley, McSorley years. Allar looks bigger and stronger ( I know he lost weight, but he’s “in shape”) , and his hands seem to make the football look small. He also appears much more mature, articulate and confident. Combine this with significant returning ( top end) talent, and I believe we are in for a potentially elite season ( assuming no major injuries). — Phil Steele had several of Penn State’s schedule algorithms going undefeated…. I’m very optimistic that this can be a very, very good year. Going to be fun!
I remember watching the BTN preseason last year where their broadcast team was salivating over PSU’s offensive talent. They were downright giddy.

How’d that work out🤷🏿‍♂️

Not concerned about the Ole Miss game. Opt outs and the WR room was a mess. Our secondary was a joke because of opt outs. Yurcich had been canned. Nothing really to play for in that game.

This year starting with WVU is about Allar and playing like the elite guy we recruited. A close second is the obvious WRs being much better and an offensive line that is physical in run blocking and provides good protection. For the O-Line, I am optimistic, Shelton is a vet, Cousins a stud young guy same with Donkoh. Dawkins another solid vet. Loane in the mix. Rucci in the mix. Not sure about Williams and Birchmeier but oozing talent across the line.

Defense won't miss a beat. Biggest question marks are if new portal guys at CB deliver and is Rojas ready to be the next stud LB. Carter will dominate and if we are smart we will put him all over to shut down whatever go to plays the offense has up their sleeve. DDS ready for his money year.

Kicking? I have no clue. Assuming we have a reliable guy and don't think that is an unrealistic expectation.

Forgot that we have excellent DTs with Durant and Thomas. Our D-Line will be very stout.

Last edited:
I remember watching the BTN preseason last year where their broadcast team was salivating over PSU’s offensive talent. They were downright giddy.

How’d that work out🤷🏿‍♂️

True, but I’m pretty sure that the collective underachieving was more to do with scheme and the OC, than talent. — The “ nonverbal communication “ on this team just “ooze”confidence…Doesn’t matter who is interviewed: Allar, Pribula, Singleton, Sutton, Fleming, Winston etc. —Could be a collective psychosis ( lol), but I think it’s more likely talent, maturity and a confident grasp of scheme that will be difficult for opponents to handle because of the very high number of weapons available. I think these guys “ get it” , and I think several of these players , including Allar, become “next level”. —We’ll find out soon enough

Last edited:
Reactions: GSPMax and ryoder1
True, but I’m pretty sure that the collective underachieving was more to do with scheme and the OC, than talent. — The “ nonverbals “ on this team just “ooze”confidence…Doesn’t matter who is interviewed: Allar, Pribula, Singleton, Sutton, Fleming, Winston etc. —Could be a collective psychosis ( lol), but I think it’s more likely talent, maturity and a confident grasp of scheme that will be difficult for opponents to handle because of the very high number of weapons available. I think these guys “ get it” , and I think several of these players , including Allar, become “next level”. —We’ll find out soon enough
Team, staff, coaches all have a lot of confidence in Allar. Huge favorable intangible. Voted him a captain, comes to work every day, wants to improve at his craft. Smart kid. Heard his BTN interview when they were on campus. Sounds like a coach on the field. Really excited for him to have a big year.

Reactions: GSPMax and jimarnp
Not concerned about the Ole Miss game. Opt outs and the WR room was a mess. Our secondary was a joke because of opt outs.
We don't know that the WR room is better. It's the same players except + Fleming, -KLS. We also don't know if Harris & Kimber will be as good as King and Dixon. But that's the hope. We'll see.

True, but I’m pretty sure that the collective underachieving was more to do with scheme and the OC, than talent. — The “ nonverbal communication “ on this team just “ooze”confidence…Doesn’t matter who is interviewed: Allar, Pribula, Singleton, Sutton, Fleming, Winston etc. —Could be a collective psychosis ( lol), but I think it’s more likely talent, maturity and a confident grasp of scheme that will be difficult for opponents to handle because of the very high number of weapons available. I think these guys “ get it” , and I think several of these players , including Allar, become “next level”. —We’ll find out soon enough
I am still very confused as to what happened last year. In 2022 Yurcich was hailed as an offensive genius. The ‘Wing T’ derivatives, the use of TEs, the excellent route schemes to get guts open. Even national sports shows were talking about that offense.

And then suddenly, it sucked, Yurcich sucked, he was fired. What happened? Did Y and F suddenly disagree on how to utilize the talent? Was it just a personality clash? Egos get in the way? Was it players with bad attitudes poisoning the team?

A strange 180……

Reactions: jimarnp and bdgan
I am still very confused as to what happened last year. In 2022 Yurcich was hailed as an offensive genius. The ‘Wing T’ derivatives, the use of TEs, the excellent route schemes to get guts open. Even national sports shows were talking about that offense.

And then suddenly, it sucked, Yurcich sucked, he was fired. What happened? Did Y and F suddenly disagree on how to utilize the talent? Was it just a personality clash? Egos get in the way? Was it players with bad attitudes poisoning the team?

A strange 180……
I don't think that they trusted Allar like they trusted Clifford. In hindsight, they should've let Allar play a more risky game and accept the mistakes that would've come with it. By the end of the season, both the offense in general and Allar in particular would've been better for it. Instead, they called a stagnant gameplan that really only benefitted the tight ends.

I watched Tengwall's podcast on his analysis of Allar from last season, and you can see the latent talent that this kid has. IMO, other than not being a naturally gifted runner, he may be the most physically gifted qb who has played at PSU during my time of watching PSU football, which began in 1975, just in terms of size and throwing ability. It would be such a waste if he doesn't have an All America caliber season this year.

Last edited:

Lots of question marks but the biggest is our OC, Andy K. After a good offense in '22, we sucked in '23. CJF didn't even wait until the end of the season to fire the OC, which tells you a lot. personally, I think we have the most gifted offensive players in a long, long time. I think Allar can be a complete superstar but really doesn't need to be given all of the other great players on that side of the ball. If he develops, we can be a playoff team. But it will all be in the schemes and operations. the WVU game is really important in terms of getting out to the blocks and setting a tone for the season.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I don't think that they trusted Allar like they trusted Clifford. In hindsight, they should've let Allar play a more risky game and accept the mistakes that would've come with it. By the end of the season, both the offense in general and Allar in particular would've been better for it. Instead, they called a stagnant gameplan that really only benefitted the tight ends.

I watched Tengwall's podcast on his analysis of Allar from last season, and you can see the latent talent that this kid has. IMO, other than not being a naturally gifted runner, he may be the most physically gifted qb who has played at PSU during my time of watching PSU football, which began in 1975, just in terms of size and throwing ability. It would be such a waste if he doesn't have an All America caliber season this year.
He's missing the "IT" factor.

He showed it in limited action as a freshman and in the opening game vs WVa last year. I remember how he rolled away from pressure then threw across his body to KLS for a big play. Most QBs can't do that. Most shouldn't even try to do that. I wonder if he was warned about that and that made him more conservative.

Allar looked lost in the big games. He got no help from his WRs and he started hearing footsteps even when there weren't any. The staff didn't help him with easy throws except for WR screens. Something tells me that a few big plays in big moments could boost his confidence and turn him back into the 5* QB we expected. We just don't know if that will happen.

He's missing the "IT" factor.

He showed it in limited action as a freshman and in the opening game vs WVa last year. I remember how he rolled away from pressure then threw across his body to KLS for a big play. Most QBs can't do that. Most shouldn't even try to do that. I wonder if he was warned about that and that made him more conservative.

Allar looked lost in the big games. He got no help from his WRs and he started hearing footsteps even when there weren't any. The staff didn't help him with easy throws except for WR screens. Something tells me that a few big plays in big moments could boost his confidence and turn him back into the 5* QB we expected. We just don't know if that will happen.
In all fairness, his two regular season losses were at OSU and against Michigan, a team that nobody was going to beat last season. I do agree with you that he didn't exude the type of visual leadership that you need from a qb, like we saw with McSorley and even Clifford. This season, he must be the undisputed leader of the offense, both in deeds and words.

A strange 180……

We had below average RBs in '21 and we fell short in 2 or 3 games that year.

We had average WRs in '23 and we couldn't move the ball on 2 teams primarily, but struggled in others.

'22 was just a weird combination of the talent we had over all 3 years. Dotson/Washington was by far the best WR grouping in '21, but they couldn't carry the team.

RBs and OL SHOULD have been better from '22 to '23, but the results weren't there.

I'd like to say that I knew the answer, but something was just obviously off. We ran our backs straight into 7 and 8 man boxes of that same zone read action week after week with little to no discretion or alterations.

And if we were content to lose games waiting on our defense to score points, we shouldn't have been going for it on 4th downs from our 30 or trying 2 pt plays after finally scoring TDs.

Reactions: Jerry
We had below average RBs in '21 and we fell short in 2 or 3 games that year.

We had average WRs in '23 and we couldn't move the ball on 2 teams primarily, but struggled in others.

'22 was just a weird combination of the talent we had over all 3 years. Dotson/Washington was by far the best WR grouping in '21, but they couldn't carry the team.

RBs and OL SHOULD have been better from '22 to '23, but the results weren't there.

I'd like to say that I knew the answer, but something was just obviously off. We ran our backs straight into 7 and 8 man boxes of that same zone read action week after week with little to no discretion or alterations.

And if we were content to lose games waiting on our defense to score points, we shouldn't have been going for it on 4th downs from our 30 or trying 2 pt plays after finally scoring TDs.
Like I said before, the design of the running game last season was disgraceful. How riduculous was it continously making your breakaway running back run in between the tackles against a loaded box?

Reactions: lazydave841
We don't know that the WR room is better. It's the same players except + Fleming, -KLS. We also don't know if Harris & Kimber will be as good as King and Dixon. But that's the hope. We'll see.
Yep the WR room a big looming unknown. More confidence that Harris and Kimber will be good for us but no facts just a feeling.

Like I said before, the design of the running game last season was disgraceful. How riduculous was it continously making your breakaway running back run in between the tackles against a loaded box?

Bingo. Yeah, Singleton needs to improve between the tackles. No doubt about it, zero argument. You still have to scheme SOMETHING else.

For all the people who are dead set on changing HCs, I can't fathom why they get upset at moving on from a OC who couldn't game plan vs OSU and Michigan. Thanks Mike, you transitioned the offense from the losing 5 games 2 years in a row to winning 10 2 in a row.

We want to beat OSU. I'm glad we went and got a guy who will try.

Bingo. Yeah, Singleton needs to improve between the tackles. No doubt about it, zero argument. You still have to scheme SOMETHING else.

For all the people who are dead set on changing HCs, I can't fathom why they get upset at moving on from a OC who couldn't game plan vs OSU and Michigan. Thanks Mike, you transitioned the offense from the losing 5 games 2 years in a row to winning 10 2 in a row.

I am hopeful Kotelnicki will be the guy to take advsntage of all our talent on offense. Including getting the WRs to produce.

My lingering concern is why did Yurcich turn into a total train wreck? What was Franklin's role in the whole mess? Was it something that goes much deeper than just an incompetent OC? Is it just a different dog same fleas kind of thing with Kotelnicki at the end of the day. I hope not.

I am hopeful Kotelnicki will be the guy to take advsntage of all our talent on offense. Including getting the WRs to produce.

My lingering concern is why did Yurcich turn into a total train wreck? What was Franklin's role in the whole mess? Was it something that goes much deeper than just an incompetent OC? Is it just a different dog same fleas kind of thing with Kotelnicki at the end of the day. I hope not.
Rumor alert.

I heard that the process is that the OC and DC create their game plans early in the week. CJF is presented these game plans and makes some adjustments. For example, if he thinks we will win easily, he'll call for a more conservative game plan that is less prone to mistakes. I heard that CJF would make his recommendations and the OC just did whatever the heck he wanted to do. That is kind of OK when it works, but when it doesn't, your job is in serious trouble. The offense didn't play well after Illinois last season, for the most part. It was overwhelmed against tOSU and UM. The WR play was the worst we've seen since a few of the Paterno years. (6 to 4). Big egos.

Reactions: lazydave841

Singleton should be used like Reggie Bush; you have to get him into space. Instead, last season, he mostly was used like the Steelers used Jerome Bettis. It just was non-sensical.

I hope you are right about Allar but he has a ways to go to catch Collins who also had size and had the best season throwing the ball in 1994 that I have seen from the season tickets I have had in the north end zone since 1978.

I've heard people say that they were too conservative with Allar but I don't know if I believe that. Every snap he has options on where to throw the ball. He made his own choices to take the conservative throws. Maybe he was told to not make a mistake, but isn't every QB?

I think a combination of a new QB, average WR's with poor chemistry, poor TE blocking and a bad OC combined to doom us.

Unless you were in the locker room hard to tell. Frankly, my view is that most of this is on Yurcich. First, Franklin is a delegator (does anyone think he meddled with Diaz’s defense?) Franklin was also critical of Yurcich after the OSU game. Play calling was better and more imaginative the next two games, especially the second game against Maryland. However, play calling reverted to being super conservative the next game against Michigan and Yurcich got fired. Just my two cents.

I hope you are right about Allar but he has a ways to go to catch Collins who also had size and had the best season throwing the ball in 1994 that I have seen from the season tickets I have had in the north end zone since 1978.
I'm not saying that he is as good so far as Fusina, Blackledge, Collins or even McSorley or Clifford turned out to be. All that I'm saying is that his physical attributes, like size and arm strength, are as good as if not better than all of those other qbs. I mean, both Fusina and Collins were Heisman Trophy Finalists and Blackledge was a NFL number one draft choice; Allar's on-field performance has a long way to go before he can equal them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT