ADVERTISEMENT

Obli's "What I heard and what I think I heard"

Exactly. Don’t care how we win…. just win baby. Even if it is an ugly win it will be long forgotten by December other than it being a win.
Just like Deion said last night- except WVU- especially in Morgantown- is a far superior opponent.

I just hope we win- but also wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised like last year. Big game for Allar to take charge and lead.

Go State!

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Your detail and analysis is impressive. The most interesting fact that I see regarding the PSU offensive deployment of personnel is the 2 RB 2 TE set. Thus, I don't care if it rains. I have been waiting for this and play action passes for a complete season and off-season now.

Reactions: Obliviax
Pat McAfee on WVU campus stirring up the masses, and predicting a big Mountaineer victory

He's ready to burn couches
We are, by far and away, the highest-rated team they'll see this year. And we are a traditional rival that they may never play again. They play Pitt away, their only other true rival. So this is their super bowl. How we handle the first quarter will be key.

We are, by far and away, the highest-rated team they'll see this year. And we are a traditional rival that they may never play again. They play Pitt away, their only other true rival. So this is their super bowl. How we handle the first quarter will be key.
A lot of times, home teams come out on fire and totally dominant, and then burn out. So, I agree that if we survive the first quarter in good shape, our talent eventually will take over.

I really have a hard time seeing WVU gash this defense with the run to the tune of 20-30 points. As well as their defense keeping PSU from scoring 20-30 points. I think PSU's defense is THAT good and WVU's defense will be THAT bad. The only hangup being the transition of having new coordinators. It has been a bit of a transition with each OC/DC change in the past and having to grind out a game to start the regular season. Throw in a crazy crowd and maybe this one is close in the 4th quarter.

I'm thinking if WVU is able to get 20 points, this will be a close game. But I'm leaning more to thinking this leans more to the @Auburn game from '22 - close through a quarter or two but as PSU scores WVU has to abandon the run to keep up. And I do feel confident (even with a newly revamped OL) that we'll be able to run the ball.

This is a game that is hard to predict. We should win by 10-14 in one of those games that is never really in doubt.

But football is a crazy, highly emotional game. Especially a home opener at WVU with a crazy crowd. If we jump out early, quiet the crowd, force them to pass more….we win by 20 or more.

However…..,we have an early turnover, or our D has a breakdown and gives up a score, and they are ahead of tied at halftime……we are in for a battle.

Gonna be fun either way. Love the WVU fan base, they really make it fun. If this was an afternoon or night game I would most definitely be there. Great place to see a game.

Totally agree, Spin, except for the part at the end about being there. Never in the cards for me, regardless.

I'm not betting this game. I'm definitely not predicting an easy win...though that could happen and hopefully it will. If so, it's credit to Penn State, not discredit to West Virginia.

My point has simply been that it's a challenge. First game of the season...two new coordinators...on the road in a crazy house against a decent team that's had the date circled for months.

Yes, our talent is superior. But talent doesn't always dictate the outcome. Usually...but not always. Talent is a tangible. Sometimes the intangibles are an equally important factor.

One thing for sure: I'm psyched for this thing, baby.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Totally agree, Spin, except for the part at the end about being there. Never in the cards for me, regardless.

I'm not betting this game. I'm definitely not predicting an easy win...though that could happen and hopefully it will. If so, it's credit to Penn State, not discredit to West Virginia.

My point has simply been that it's a challenge. First game of the season...two new coordinators...on the road in a crazy house against a decent team that's had the date circled for months.

Yes, our talent is superior. But talent doesn't always dictate the outcome. Usually...but not always. Talent is a tangible. Sometimes the intangibles are an equally important factor.

One thing for sure: I'm psyched for this thing, baby.
I have faith in Tom Allen and our defense. Not McAfee, who was a punter.

Reactions: ncgolfer
General
  • I went to college in WVA and can tell you that Mountaineer Football is their everything. This is their Super Bowl. They play Pitt away this year. Their home games include Kansas and K-State as the only other ranked teams visiting this season. This will be the loudest crowd we play in front of with the only exception being tOSU. We should have a lot of upper class leadership on the field so we should be able to handle the noise and excitement.
  • PSU is more talented at almost every position. But mobile QBs, like Greene, can change the game.
  • Turnovers, penalties and mistakes need to be avoided. If we bring our A game we win. If we bring our B game we will be at risk. If we bring our C game this is an upset waiting to happen.
  • If it rains, that presents even more problems in terms of turnovers.

On Offense
  • The entire focus has been WR since the OC was fired after UM. CJF has expressed guarded optimism. But often times, the thing you work on gets better while other factions suffer. I expect to see much improved WR play.
  • WVUs glaring weakness is their defensive secondary which is almost entirely new as well as using a lot of xfers. You never know how a kid will play in a game as this is always different from practice. I expect PSU to attack the WVU secondary early and often. I am hoping for a big day from our WRs.
  • I am told Warren will be a big part of the gameplan. CJF called him one of the top two best TEs in the nation and said that he can do it all. I expect to see a lot of him as the WVU LBers will be challenged. They do have a kid that looks to be a really good OLB in Josiah Trotter. He played at St. Joe's prep and is the son of NFL pro bowler Jeremiah Trotter. He hurt his leg and redshirted as a Frosh last year. He was a 4 star and is 6-2 and 230. WVU is really high on him and he'll start. However, their depth at linebacker is really thin. If anyone gets banged up, they are in trouble.
  • I am hearing that we'll show a lot of 2X sets. In other words, two RBs. In some cases, a 2-2 which is two RBs and two TEs.
  • I expect we'll see a lot of pre-snap movement with WVU under adjusting as they expect us to play our typical offense disguised to look different by pre-snap movement. But with several TE's, RBs and WRs to choose from, PSU could come out with some creativity. But I expect us to be conservative, early, in a hostile environment on a potentially wet night. We'll see if AK opens it up in the second half.
  • I am not sure what to expect out of our Running Game. We replace a lot of OL and WVUs' front 4 has been good. I expect Allar to run more. I've heard he is much quicker and stronger this year. Moreover, the staff didn't want him running last year as they were not convinced the backup was ready. I understand they are much more comfortable at backup QB for both #2 and #3,
  • Overall, we should be able to put points up and I hope to be well into the 30s or more.
Defense
  • I am pretty comfortable but am concerned about two things: stopping the run and containing Greene.
  • I am told that much of WVUs success last year was their Center who played great against us last year. With two really strong RBs. CJ Donaldson was having a good year and is a load at 6-2 and almost 240 lbs. He got banged up and didn't get the carries later in the season but still had a good year with just under 1000 years rushing and a 5 YPC average. He was also a second-team all-academic B12 player. he may be the one most affected by the loss of their AA center as he is not an outside runner. So that guy is Jahiem White. A PA kid who played at Wiliam Penn in York. He is 5-9 and 195 so he is Mr. Outside. He had just under 900 yards last year as a Frosh and 7.7 YPC. They are really good at RB, perhaps as good as we are.
  • They also have a really good TE in 6-7, 255 lb Kole Taylor. he was a highly rated recruit that went to LSU and Xfers to WVU last year and played well against us. He's put on some weight as he was in the 230 range for last years game. He'll be good and we'll be challenged to contain him.
  • They've got a stable of WRs that are good but not great. They seem confident but they are not highly recruited guys but come after you with depth. Hudson Clement really came on at the end of last season and looks like one of those "steve largent" or "julian edelman" type of players.
  • While they lost a great C and really good LT they seem confident in their OL. They move a starter over to C. But they have a hole to fill at RT. I expect PSU to try and go after that hole by bringing a lot of heat from the Offensive right side in DDS and "Sticks" Abdul Carter. I would guess that we'll do a lot of spying with Rojas and the safeties to contain Greene.
  • WVU is going to be, IMHO, a better offense than USC. The only O we'll see better is tOSU's. They are going to score points.
My prediction is PSU 41, WVU 31.
If they score 31 points against us, I will be very disappointed and may not watch another game this year.

General
  • I went to college in WVA and can tell you that Mountaineer Football is their everything. This is their Super Bowl. They play Pitt away this year. Their home games include Kansas and K-State as the only other ranked teams visiting this season. This will be the loudest crowd we play in front of with the only exception being tOSU. We should have a lot of upper class leadership on the field so we should be able to handle the noise and excitement.
  • PSU is more talented at almost every position. But mobile QBs, like Greene, can change the game.
  • Turnovers, penalties and mistakes need to be avoided. If we bring our A game we win. If we bring our B game we will be at risk. If we bring our C game this is an upset waiting to happen.
  • If it rains, that presents even more problems in terms of turnovers.

On Offense
  • The entire focus has been WR since the OC was fired after UM. CJF has expressed guarded optimism. But often times, the thing you work on gets better while other factions suffer. I expect to see much improved WR play.
  • WVUs glaring weakness is their defensive secondary which is almost entirely new as well as using a lot of xfers. You never know how a kid will play in a game as this is always different from practice. I expect PSU to attack the WVU secondary early and often. I am hoping for a big day from our WRs.
  • I am told Warren will be a big part of the gameplan. CJF called him one of the top two best TEs in the nation and said that he can do it all. I expect to see a lot of him as the WVU LBers will be challenged. They do have a kid that looks to be a really good OLB in Josiah Trotter. He played at St. Joe's prep and is the son of NFL pro bowler Jeremiah Trotter. He hurt his leg and redshirted as a Frosh last year. He was a 4 star and is 6-2 and 230. WVU is really high on him and he'll start. However, their depth at linebacker is really thin. If anyone gets banged up, they are in trouble.
  • I am hearing that we'll show a lot of 2X sets. In other words, two RBs. In some cases, a 2-2 which is two RBs and two TEs.
  • I expect we'll see a lot of pre-snap movement with WVU under adjusting as they expect us to play our typical offense disguised to look different by pre-snap movement. But with several TE's, RBs and WRs to choose from, PSU could come out with some creativity. But I expect us to be conservative, early, in a hostile environment on a potentially wet night. We'll see if AK opens it up in the second half.
  • I am not sure what to expect out of our Running Game. We replace a lot of OL and WVUs' front 4 has been good. I expect Allar to run more. I've heard he is much quicker and stronger this year. Moreover, the staff didn't want him running last year as they were not convinced the backup was ready. I understand they are much more comfortable at backup QB for both #2 and #3,
  • Overall, we should be able to put points up and I hope to be well into the 30s or more.
Defense
  • I am pretty comfortable but am concerned about two things: stopping the run and containing Greene.
  • I am told that much of WVUs success last year was their Center who played great against us last year. With two really strong RBs. CJ Donaldson was having a good year and is a load at 6-2 and almost 240 lbs. He got banged up and didn't get the carries later in the season but still had a good year with just under 1000 years rushing and a 5 YPC average. He was also a second-team all-academic B12 player. he may be the one most affected by the loss of their AA center as he is not an outside runner. So that guy is Jahiem White. A PA kid who played at Wiliam Penn in York. He is 5-9 and 195 so he is Mr. Outside. He had just under 900 yards last year as a Frosh and 7.7 YPC. They are really good at RB, perhaps as good as we are.
  • They also have a really good TE in 6-7, 255 lb Kole Taylor. he was a highly rated recruit that went to LSU and Xfers to WVU last year and played well against us. He's put on some weight as he was in the 230 range for last years game. He'll be good and we'll be challenged to contain him.
  • They've got a stable of WRs that are good but not great. They seem confident but they are not highly recruited guys but come after you with depth. Hudson Clement really came on at the end of last season and looks like one of those "steve largent" or "julian edelman" type of players.
  • While they lost a great C and really good LT they seem confident in their OL. They move a starter over to C. But they have a hole to fill at RT. I expect PSU to try and go after that hole by bringing a lot of heat from the Offensive right side in DDS and "Sticks" Abdul Carter. I would guess that we'll do a lot of spying with Rojas and the safeties to contain Greene.
  • WVU is going to be, IMHO, a better offense than USC. The only O we'll see better is tOSU's. They are going to score points.
My prediction is PSU 41, WVU 31.
This certainly didn't age very well!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT