ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State vs. Ohio State

Diaz deserves a good deal of blame. 3rd and 10 - NO need for all out blitz, bad call, he cost us a chance to win. 100% deserves HEAT. NO reason for all out there, trust your DL and no need to go all one way or another. AGAIN it is lack of balance and situational awareness. He does the same thing way too many time over and over in the same situations.
^^^ This ^^^

OSU made adjustments. Lots of quick release passes over the wide open middle before pressure can get there.

IMO we have to bring pressure with blitzes. They just can't be so often and so predictable.

4 turnovers kinda turned the game around
He is the reason
He's not though. Look at the turnover closer
He actually played well at times. Had Allar started week 1 maybe he'd have been ready today but Clifford had to play today and did okay

Hopefully last time we see Clifford
Ladies & Gentlemen, the Sean Clifford era should officially be over. 4 turnovers, three of which were definitely his fault and game changing. Don't want to hear about 10-2, it is time for the transition even if that means a few more losses. I would go with Veilleux & Allar the rest of the way.

Hurt by missing on great DTs, O line man and elite WR.
Proud of PSU, this young team will grow.
Where will the growth come from?

Best DT is gone after this season and 2022 and 2023 classes have 1 DT each. Maybe the S&C program can put some muscle and size on some of the returning DL players. DDS could fill out some, but Isaac in his 4th? season still looks too small to line up against the big boys.

Only a couple olinemen in the last couple classes and a shortage of OT players limits the competition at the position.

And no elite WR recruits coming . Washington is very good and really showed up today. Tinsley's highlight was him getting between the defender and Washington on the long TD run. DLS has shown flashes, but he's in his 3rd year and shown little consistency.

So is it rational to expect a jump upwards in the performance at DE, OL and WR?

He actually played well at times. Had Allar started week 1 maybe he'd have been ready today but Clifford had to play today and did okay
I agree Allar is not ready yet but Clifford had 4 turnovers
thats the game
His peak is beating the Purdues and Minn
time to move on

id rather drop a few games and get Allar in then see anymore of Clifford

Reactions: tlbakernc
Missed blocks aren't Clifford's fault but he's a 6th year player. It's reasonable to expect more from him.

Reactions: tlbakernc
Ladies & Gentlemen, the Sean Clifford era should officially be over. 4 turnovers, three of which were definitely his fault and game changing. Don't want to hear about 10-2, it is time for the transition even if that means a few more losses. I would go with Veilleux & Allar the rest of the way.
Deflection, receiver didn't come back to the ball, RT got destroyed and a great athletic play
Blame 1 and 4 on him if you want but you're not getting 3 as a reasonable person

I agree Allar is not ready yet but Clifford had 4 turnovers
thats the game
His peak is beating the Purdues and Minn
time to move on

id rather drop a few games and get Allar in then see anymore of Clifford
We agree it's time to move on. Again, I would have gone with Allar week 1. I don't think Clifford was that bad today and I'm usually very critical of him.

Where will the growth come from?

Best DT is gone after this season and 2022 and 2023 classes have 1 DT each. Maybe the S&C program can put some muscle and size on some of the returning DL players. DDS could fill out some, but Isaac in his 4th? season still looks too small to line up against the big boys.

Only a couple olinemen in the last couple classes and a shortage of OT players limits the competition at the position.

And no elite WR recruits coming . Washington is very good and really showed up today. Tinsley's highlight was him getting between the defender and Washington on the long TD run. DLS has shown flashes, but he's in his 3rd year and shown little consistency.

So is it rational to expect a jump upwards in the performance at DE, OL and WR?
Not if Franklin is still the head coach.

If Allar is as good as hype
we have a great rb in#13
and Singleton will be better

worried about LB and I don’t see a WR on roster next year
maybe we work #18 in more rest of year and get Allar snaps

How about just covering Harrison?
As every team tries to do..how about being able to develop maybe a couple DE hybrid that JF loves into game wreckers...it's the least effective front 7 in recent memory

The reality is...
Franklin isn't an elite coach
We aren't on the level of Ohio State
The defense has to create turnovers

Deflection, receiver didn't come back to the ball, RT got destroyed and a great athletic play
Blame 1 and 4 on him if you want but you're not getting 3 as a reasonable person
Deflection on a ball he threw right into the oncoming rusher.

reciever didn’t come back on a 3rd and short throw that was still thrown short of the sticks and would have resulted in a punt even if he’d caught it. Never should have thrown the ball.

really poor ball protection stepping up into the pocket on the srip.

Deflection on a ball he threw right into the oncoming rusher.

reciever didn’t come back on a 3rd and short throw that was still thrown short of the sticks and would have resulted in a punt even if he’d caught it. Never should have thrown the ball.

really poor ball protection stepping up into the pocket on the srip.
Doesn't matter if it's short of the sticks or not--tons of third down plays go short of the sticks. That was on the receiver for not coming back
Poor ball protection or not that's on the RT

As every team tries to do..how about being able to develop maybe a couple DE hybrid that JF loves into game wreckers...it's the least effective front 7 in recent memory
I agree. Front 7 is too weak. But Harrison still had by far his best game of the year against us.

Reactions: scrivener
If I were PSU beat writer I would say 'Clifford had 4 TOs' and just pause..don't ask a question. When Franklin asks what is question they say 'just doing same when you arrogantly paused about Cliff being player of week against MN'

Reactions: scrivener
Doesn't matter if it's short of the sticks or not--tons of third down plays go short of the sticks. That was on the receiver for not coming back
Poor ball protection or not that's on the RT
Totally wrong on this. That’s a ball that should not have been thrown. The receiver was two yards down the field. Where is he coming back to?

ADVERTISEMENT