ADVERTISEMENT

Give Tan Tom credit where credit is due

You guys are all aware, I hope, that when Ryan was at Hofstra, he lost his 5 year old son due to a heart malfunction that had gone undiagnosed. He was playing in the house, and one second he was fine, the next he was gone. I can't even begin to imagine the grief that Ryan and his family must have gone through.
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

You guys are all aware, I hope, that when Ryan was at Hofstra, he lost his 5 year old son due to a heart malfunction that had gone undiagnosed. He was playing in the house, and one second he was fine, the next he was gone. I can't even begin to imagine the grief that Ryan and his family must have gone through.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm of the belief that if Ryan doesn't have diabolical intentions in his life then he, at least, deserves the respect as someone who endured such a terrible tragedy.

It also plays into who's the bigger person, in my mind, given the fact that ALL Ryan is is a rival.

Ryan isn't as classy as some make him out to be but his wrestlers do genuinely like him. I have met him multiple times, more than once wearing a PSU shirt and he has always been cordial/given me a hard time jokingly. He is all in and will argue to the end that his guy is better than your guy even when they are clearly not. I don't know that this is as much of a Tom Ryan thing as it is a Buckeye thing. If you spend more than 20 minutes around OSU fans, you soon realize they are a delusional bunch (not Vodka/HR delusional) but close. They have never lost a football game, they have only let the other team win.. The University carries the same sentiment "we were the better team, they just got the calls/got lucky/whatever else excuse they can come up with on why they didn't win. Once had a Buckeye fan tell me that the Buckeyes would win every game by double digits if they didn't have to play special teams (he was one of many defending the argument) if that tells you anything.

The biggest issue I have with Ryan is his blatant disrespect toward programs and wrestlers that are out of his league in terms of class and ability. He has taken multiple shots at Zain on Twitter along with "poking" the lion when talking about Cael and company. (don't know he will be doing that again) They guy is an embarrassment during matches too but my guess is he got that part honestly from Iowa (Terry/Tom). His wrestlers I think have learned from their peers and not so much from their coach in that regard. Do as Kyle Snyder does, not as my coaches do type thing.

Just my two cents from a Nittany Lion living in Columbus.

Ryan isn't as classy as some make him out to be but his wrestlers do genuinely like him. I have met him multiple times, more than once wearing a PSU shirt and he has always been cordial/given me a hard time jokingly. He is all in and will argue to the end that his guy is better than your guy even when they are clearly not. I don't know that this is as much of a Tom Ryan thing as it is a Buckeye thing. If you spend more than 20 minutes around OSU fans, you soon realize they are a delusional bunch (not Vodka/HR delusional) but close. They have never lost a football game, they have only let the other team win.. The University carries the same sentiment "we were the better team, they just got the calls/got lucky/whatever else excuse they can come up with on why they didn't win. Once had a Buckeye fan tell me that the Buckeyes would win every game by double digits if they didn't have to play special teams (he was one of many defending the argument) if that tells you anything.

The biggest issue I have with Ryan is his blatant disrespect toward programs and wrestlers that are out of his league in terms of class and ability. He has taken multiple shots at Zain on Twitter along with "poking" the lion when talking about Cael and company. (don't know he will be doing that again) They guy is an embarrassment during matches too but my guess is he got that part honestly from Iowa (Terry/Tom). His wrestlers I think have learned from their peers and not so much from their coach in that regard. Do as Kyle Snyder does, not as my coaches do type thing.

The way I feel about these top level coaches is they have a personality and qualities that they are striving to be and they have a personality that gets taken over in the heat of the moment of competition. I think Ryan strives to be the best person he can be and at times he fall short. I commend him for trying and do not hold it against him that he is imperfect.
It is easy to point out someone's faults. It makes us feel better about not being perfect and having our own faults. Anyone who spends their life trying to mold and help other people achieve a dream, gets a lot of lee way with me. (unless, of course, they are from the university of Pittsburgh)

Reactions: pawrest01

Two cents it is. Don't let the halo tilt.

The way I feel about these top level coaches is they have a personality and qualities that they are striving to be and they have a personality that gets taken over in the heat of the moment of competition. I think Ryan strives to be the best person he can be and at times he fall short. I commend him for trying and do not hold it against him that he is imperfect.
It is easy to point out someone's faults. It makes us feel better about not being perfect and having our own faults. Anyone who spends their life trying to mold and help other people achieve a dream, gets a lot of lee way with me. (unless, of course, they are from the university of Pittsburgh)

I can appreciate that take. Especially the Pitt part :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT