ADVERTISEMENT

Starocci keeps getting better

oldcougar65

Mar 11, 2015
I've been following Carter Starocci since his freshman year in HS. We heard about the new hotshot fromErie, but he was something of a disappointment. He lost to an Upper Darby kid early on and wrestled back for 8th place, being hammered on the way by Sammy Sossa. His Soph year he placed 2nd, and I still thought he was overrated. Then his Jr year he won his first title, but had to go to OT twice on the way. And there was a semi-final bout against a kid from Canon Mac (I was sitting right there watching it), that I thought the ref kinda leaned Starocci's way a bit. I thought that bout might have been won by the other guy. So CS wasn't overwhelming me. I think it was after his Jr year that I read that he had signed to go to PSU. I was less than enthusiastic -- didn't think he could crack the lineup. But he won states his Sr year more impressively, and I admitted to myself that each year, CS had gotten better. I wondered what Cael and Co could do with him. I guess they could do pretty well.

Each year at PSU, CS has improved. Simple as that. It's reached the point that he has become an all-timer along with AB. And today, Starocci took it a step farther by essentially beating a NC on one leg. I didn't want to watch this one. I thought he was a shadow of himself, and it was so unfair that he end his career at PSU on an injured leg. I was wrong. Even injured, Starocci is going out with his shield, rather than on it. It will only enhance his legend.

Over the years, my opinion of Carter Starocci has undergone a total transformation. When CS was in HS, I never thought I would say this. But my listing PSU's all-time greats is Nolf, Zane, Bo, CS and AB (with a nod to Mark and Cenzo). If I'm being generous I throw in Andy Matter, another Upper Darby kid.

He can't take Griffith lightly tonight, nor can we. CS is better but Griffith has wisdom of experience like CS. I think CS wins but I expect a close one.

Reactions: NedFromYork
This isn't the NC Griffith. The 28 seed had him on the ropes this afternoon, and he got up limping at the end of the match, as he has every match since B1G.

I put Carter and Griffith's bodies at the same level right now. I put Carter's wrestling a step above.

My guess is it will be close but controlled
( my hope) move to the next round mentality.
still makes me chuckle on the chicken finger story, wonder if it’s true.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT