ADVERTISEMENT

Give the coaches credit Clifford > Levis was the right call

I don't know how in the world NFL Draft media projected Levis at a top 5 - 10 pick.
He looked brutal tonight against the 130th ranked pass D in the country.
Not saying Clifford is all world but I think it is fair to say Franklin made the right call.
Time will tell.

Time will tell.
Time will tell what? Whether Levis gets drafted in the first round on the NFL draft (perhaps although he hasn’t enhanced his chances with any of his recent performances). Whether Franklin choosing Clifford over Levis was the right call? Notwithstanding his costly turnovers yesterday vs OSU—absolutely.

I don't know how in the world NFL Draft media projected Levis at a top 5 - 10 pick.
Not saying Clifford is all world but I think it is fair to say Franklin made the right call.
He hasn’t looked good all year.

Reactions: bison13
Time will tell what? Whether Levis gets drafted in the first round on the NFL draft (perhaps although he hasn’t enhanced his chances with any of his recent performances). Whether Franklin choosing Clifford over Levis was the right call? Notwithstanding his costly turnovers yesterday vs OSU—absolutely.
Kentucky has been better with Will than PSU with Cliffy. Time may run out as eventually Cliffy’s 6th year will come to an end. Perhaps as soon as Saturday?

And Will is a highly projected draft pick. Maybe a Josh Allen 2.0 Cliffy? Not so much.

So looks like Franklin swung and missed again.

Will Levis plays with a set of stones Clifford does not! I want the guy who will sacrifice his body to win a game.

And I know there is going to be someone to say how tough Clifford is (give me a break)....He could not get a QB sneak in the end zone from the 1 foot line Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: manilion
Will Levis plays with a set of stone Clifford does not! I want the guy who will sacrifice his body to win a game.

And I know there is going to be someone to say how tough Clifford is (give me a break)....He could not get a QB sneak in the end zone from the 1 foot line Saturday.
Go back to sleep.

Reactions: WIP2001
I don't agree at all. If you watched the game, you know, T piled on points when the K OL gave Levis Zero time to throw. K is a running game and once they had to throw the ball to catch up, it was game over. WL and Kentucky played into T's hands. WL has played really well all year with an inferior OL against much better against good competition than SC has played.

FL, Mississippi State, Mississippi, Tennessee (who is ranked above both tOSU and UM). Mississippi is ranked #11 and K lost by 3.

PSU got blown out of the stadium against UM (not SC's fault) and got soundly beat by tOSU after SC threw 3 INTs and had a fumble (not SC's fault).

Its a tough call. But I'd rather have WL at the helm of this PSU team then SC TBH.

Kentucky has been better with Will than PSU with Cliffy. Time may run out as eventually Cliffy’s 6th year will come to an end. Perhaps as soon as Saturday?

And Will is a highly projected draft pick. Maybe a Josh Allen 2.0 Cliffy? Not so much.

So looks like Franklin swung and missed again.
Just by you mentioning Will Levis and Josh Allen in the same breath, you lose all credibility.

Will Levis plays with a set of stones Clifford does not! I want the guy who will sacrifice his body to win a game.

I have a lot of problems with Clifford as a starting QB. I was hoping he'd get on with his life's work and Veilleux would get a chance to start this year. I don't think he lacks any kind of physical courage. He's suffered a lot of injuries and is willing to get back out there when not 100%.

Clifford quite simply can't protect the football. He almost always has a costly turnover or 2 or 3 against big teams. Last year Ohio State had a scoop and score that turned the tide and this year the first and last 8 minutes of the game were a Cliff disaster. I still feel he was the right call over Levis and I still feel he was the right call over Allar.

With that being said, it is time to get the kid a ton of meaningful reps. Let the kid play the next few games and keep Sean close by in case it doesn't go well. Call Sean dinged up so save face, but play the kid more.

I don't think it was as cut and dried as both sides would believe. I think both appeared to have trajectories, but uncertain ones as well.
I believe fans questioned decisions/voiced their opinions with limited data, Clifford has been operating with major ups and downs with the OL, RB, and coaching corps. Levis was brought in mostly for a straight ahead running option. The games at Kentucky I've seen before this year, they seemed to run a controlled short passing game, which is effective for most college opponents, but not necessarily with the upper tier, as well as the NFL-it reminds me of the young New England quarterback.
The other factor was the presence or lack of a game breaking WR. Early on Clifford had Hamler, and Dotson towards the middle. The chemistry between him and his secondary receivers was questionable throughout his time at QB.
What has often concerned me, with the exception of Mills, Penn State's QBs seem so stiff and mechanical in the pocket.
I look at Clifford as another Penn State quarterback who go more than enough time and opportunity(maybe not quality with supporting cast) to prove what he could do, didn't fail but fell short....I would add McSorley to that list.

Agreed. Levis did the right thing by leaving but you can see why the coaches stuck with Clifford. Time will tell, but it's hard to see him as an NFL QB.

I don't agree at all. If you watched the game, you know, T piled on points when the K OL gave Levis Zero time to throw. K is a running game and once they had to throw the ball to catch up, it was game over. WL and Kentucky played into T's hands. WL has played really well all year with an inferior OL against much better against good competition than SC has played.

FL, Mississippi State, Mississippi, Tennessee (who is ranked above both tOSU and UM). Mississippi is ranked #11 and K lost by 3.

PSU got blown out of the stadium against UM (not SC's fault) and got soundly beat by tOSU after SC threw 3 INTs and had a fumble (not SC's fault).

Its a tough call. But I'd rather have WL at the helm of this PSU team then SC TBH.
OSU and Michigan are better than three of those teams for sure and their defenses are better than all of them. Levis didn’t even play that well against the tomato cans on their schedule. It’s funny because on the KY message board they are saying they would rather have Clifford. I guess it’s all in how you’re looking at it.

OSU and Michigan are better than three of those teams for sure and their defenses are better than all of them. Levis didn’t even play that well against the tomato cans on their schedule. It’s funny because on the KY message board they are saying they would rather have Clifford. I guess it’s all in how you’re looking at it.
At the same time, KY isn't full of four and five-star recruits.

Reactions: cment
At the same time, KY isn't full of four and five-star recruits.
No, but they’re full of experienced transfers. They had a better OLine than we did last year, they have a damn good RB, and they had a receiver last year that was good as anybody’s. It’s not like Levis is playing with no talent. They also had a very soft schedule last year which helped them get to 10 wins. They may get to 8 this year. If Levis had been made the starter here last year, he’d be getting skewered on this board just like Clifford.

Reactions: Gitzit
No, but they’re full of experienced transfers. They had a better OLine than we did last year, they have a damn good RB, and they had a receiver last year that was good as anybody’s. It’s not like Levis is playing with no talent. They also had a very soft schedule last year which helped them get to 10 wins. They may get to 8 this year. If Levis had been made the starter here last year, he’d be getting skewered on this board just like Clifford.
I don't disagree...but to suggest the staff made 'the right decision" is disingenuous. The staff didn't make the right decision. They shut down the competition to where Levis felt he had to leave. And he was right. He'd still be sitting on the bench whereas he'll be a high draft pick. And, frankly, SC is a mediocre QB at best. I am not a hater. I love the kid and he has a lot to fall in love with. But after five years in the program and a four-year starter, he is no better than he was three years ago. he simply isn't very good. He has no skills. He doesn't have a strong arm. He's not a good runner. I don't see anything in him that makes a staff, or program, want him to continue to start.

I am OK with him leaving. But anyone saying that he was "the right decision" is based on a grand total of zero.

Reactions: cment
There is no way to know. First, Levis left when we were running a heavy RPO offense which doesn’t fit his style. He is not a quick footed guy making quick cuts like an RPO qb must do.

So had he stayed and played in the current system, would he have been able to win the starting spot? Doubtful as Franklin loves Clifford and likely sticks with him over Levis. So just from the different schemes and Franklin’s stubbornness we don’t know how it would have played out.

And as for him being at UK. Different scheme, different o line, different opponents. Football is such a game of matchups that it is very difficult to compare his play at UK/SEC vs playing here in the B2G.

Personally, I think Levis would have been better then Clifford but very difficult to say with any certainty. If he had started here with the current O scheme......and played several games to properly develop......I think he could have fared quite well. But he may have flamed out. 🤷🏼‍♀️

There is no way to know. First, Levis left when we were running a heavy RPO offense which doesn’t fit his style. He is not a quick footed guy making quick cuts like an RPO qb must do.

So had he stayed and played in the current system, would he have been able to win the starting spot? Doubtful as Franklin loves Clifford and likely sticks with him over Levis. So just from the different schemes and Franklin’s stubbornness we don’t know how it would have played out.

And as for him being at UK. Different scheme, different o line, different opponents. Football is such a game of matchups that it is very difficult to compare his play at UK/SEC vs playing here in the B2G.

Personally, I think Levis would have been better then Clifford but very difficult to say with any certainty. If he had started here with the current O scheme......and played several games to properly develop......I think he could have fared quite well. But he may have flamed out. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Agreed. And I cannot square with defending SC after the three 3 Ints with many more knocked down and went 1 for 3 with one being a total blow out.

I am not blaming all of that on him but agree with you that there is simply no way to anoint SC as "the right choice" at this point in time.

Based on the entirety of their careers, there wasn't a right decision. Both are average QBs incapable of protecting the football at key times. Both have played hurt quite a bit. Neither is going to leave college with a conference title.

Levis is going to be drafted before Clifford. So if you are in that camp, you can hang your hat on that.

Clifford has always locked on to 1 receiver, look at int #2 against OSU, complete staredown, but he throws a decent deep ball. Levis has never had any touch, he throws rockets all over the field but cant throw the bubble screen or a pass to a RB.

Like others mentioned its a 50/50 proposition so without a solid OL I dont think either one would have beat OSU

I don't disagree...but to suggest the staff made 'the right decision" is disingenuous. The staff didn't make the right decision. They shut down the competition to where Levis felt he had to leave. And he was right. He'd still be sitting on the bench whereas he'll be a high draft pick. And, frankly, SC is a mediocre QB at best. I am not a hater. I love the kid and he has a lot to fall in love with. But after five years in the program and a four-year starter, he is no better than he was three years ago. he simply isn't very good. He has no skills. He doesn't have a strong arm. He's not a good runner. I don't see anything in him that makes a staff, or program, want him to continue to start.

I am OK with him leaving. But anyone saying that he was "the right decision" is based on a grand total of zero.
Your case that there was no QB competition is based on a grand total of zero. None of us have any idea what happened in practice or in discussions. Levis left before there really could be a competition, so your statement that the staff shut down competition is disingenuous.

Agreed. And I cannot square with defending SC after the three 3 Ints with many more knocked down and went 1 for 3 with one being a total blow out.

I am not blaming all of that on him but agree with you that there is simply no way to anoint SC as "the right choice" at this point in time.
Levis had three INT’s against Tenn and got blown out. He had two fumbles against Ole Miss and lost. He and Clifford are very similar, so this idea that we let the next Josh Allen go is ridiculous.

Your case that there was no QB competition is based on a grand total of zero. None of us have any idea what happened in practice or in discussions. Levis left before there really could be a competition, so your statement that the staff shut down competition is disingenuous.
Its a good point but him leaving was not without friction...meaning, he left for a reason. I think it is clear that SC is not a great QB. A great kid, not a great QB.

So in the end, I was responding to the OP who said SC was the right decision. I simply have no idea how anyone can suggest that is true.

Levis had three INT’s against Tenn and got blown out. He had two fumbles against Ole Miss and lost. He and Clifford are very similar, so this idea that we let the next Josh Allen go is ridiculous.
I never suggested he was Josh Allen. However, SC had four turnovers against tOSU and led PSU to a 41-17 loss to Michigan. Again, have no idea how anyone can say that we have been better off with SC at QB instead of WL.

Its a good point but him leaving was not without friction...meaning, he left for a reason. I think it is clear that SC is not a great QB. A great kid, not a great QB.

So in the end, I was responding to the OP who said SC was the right decision. I simply have no idea how anyone can suggest that is true.
I think he was saying based on how Levis is playing this year it was the right decision. That’s as valid an argument as using Clifford’s bad games this year as the argument that Franklin made the wrong decision. I just find it hard to believe that any coach would tell a backup QB they weren’t going to play next year but they would be happy to have them stay and sit the bench. No coach does that.

I never suggested he was Josh Allen. However, SC had four turnovers against tOSU and led PSU to a 41-17 loss to Michigan. Again, have no idea how anyone can say that we have been better off with SC at QB instead of WL.
You may not have said that about Josh Allen, but others have. And I can’t see how anyone who watched Levis play against Ole Miss and Tennessee (and the rest of their games this year) could say we would have been better off with Levis. I just think many posters on here are way harder on our own guys than they are on other team’s players and guys that have transferred and play elsewhere.

I think he was saying based on how Levis is playing this year it was the right decision. That’s as valid an argument as using Clifford’s bad games this year as the argument that Franklin made the wrong decision. I just find it hard to believe that any coach would tell a backup QB they weren’t going to play next year but they would be happy to have them stay and sit the bench. No coach does that.
We know what SC has done with PSU, not just this year but last. We don't know what WL would have done.

SC PSU team lost six games last year and two so far this year. It isn't all his fault, to be clear. But to suggest he is better than WL is based on a net total of zero.

We know what SC has done with PSU, not just this year but last. We don't know what WL would have done.

SC PSU team lost six games last year and two so far this year. It isn't all his fault, to be clear. But to suggest he is better than WL is based on a net total of zero.
I agree, we don’t know what we would have done with Levis as a starter, but there’s nothing in what he’s done the last two years to show he would have done any better than Clifford. And I don’t think SC is better than Levis, I think they’re pretty equal. Both have positives and negatives and both a decent but not great college QB’s. All I know is Clifford played better while they were both here and that’s all a coach can go on. And who knows what happened in all those practices.

I agree, we don’t know what we would have done with Levis as a starter, but there’s nothing in what he’s done the last two years to show he would have done any better than Clifford. And I don’t think SC is better than Levis, I think they’re pretty equal. Both have positives and negatives and both a decent but not great college QB’s. All I know is Clifford played better while they were both here and that’s all a coach can go on. And who knows what happened in all those practices.
I actually disagree. WL is a much better runner than SC has ever been. And he is probably on a par as far as a passer (with a much stronger arm). Again, K has much less talent around him from WR to TE to RB. K recruiting hasn't been in the same level as ours.

Levis was a far better runner than passer at QB for Penn State. He couldn't beat out Clifford at the time.

WL is a much better runner than SC has ever been

Levis is credited with 49 rushes, -71 yards this year. Yes, that is a negative sign. He's not running this year AT ALL and when he's tried, very little success.

SC is 39, 131 this year. If you check their career stats, Levis has less total yardage and less ypc.

You might prefer Levis' hard nosed, head down, battering ram style to Clifford's, but the stats don't support that Levis is extraordinarily better at it than Clifford. And that's with Levis' time at PSU being a running QB.

Reactions: john4psu
Levis is credited with 49 rushes, -71 yards this year. Yes, that is a negative sign. He's not running this year AT ALL and when he's tried, very little success.

SC is 39, 131 this year. If you check their career stats, Levis has less total yardage and less ypc.

You might prefer Levis' hard nosed, head down, battering ram style to Clifford's, but the stats don't support that Levis is extraordinarily better at it than Clifford. And that's with Levis' time at PSU being a running QB.
Again, we have no idea what WL would have done in a PSU uniform as it is a different scheme, teammates and competition. But to suggest SC is better, especially after this week, is foolish.

Again, we have no idea what WL would have done in a PSU uniform as it is a different scheme, teammates and competition. But to suggest SC is better, especially after this week, is foolish.

The stats say SC is a slightly better runner. It's not a grand statement.

The differences between '21 and '22 lie completely on the OLs.

Levis had the better OL last year; Clifford has it this year.

Thinking Levis has to play at PSU in '21 and '22 to make the comparison is foolish. It's impossible for 2 QBs to get starter reps at one school. I tend to think Clifford Fatigue is a real thing and basically even the utmost Franklin supporters have it moreso than they let on.

The stats say SC is a slightly better runner. It's not a grand statement.

The differences between '21 and '22 lie completely on the OLs.

Levis had the better OL last year; Clifford has it this year.

Thinking Levis has to play at PSU in '21 and '22 to make the comparison is foolish. It's impossible for 2 QBs to get starter reps at one school. I tend to think Clifford Fatigue is a real thing and basically even the utmost Franklin supporters have it moreso than they let on.
well, PSU used WL as a runner to bail the team out the year before he left. WL was used as our only short-yardage option. I recall him running that ball several times in a row when we were trying to protect a (rare) lead.

Reactions: lazydave841
One thing to remember is that in college sacks count as negative running plays.

Levis has not run in 2022 since he has been injured most of the year.

I really believe that once you lose a competition (SC - RSSOPH vs WL - RSFR) there is really never another. Not surprising that Clifford was ahead of Levis in 2019. Players are all different. I think Clifford was a high floor low ceiling type where Levis was a low floor high ceiling type. You can argue if one has passed the other, but I think they are similar and Levis is viewed as still having the potential for growth.

One thing to remember is that in college sacks count as negative running plays.

Levis has not run in 2022 since he has been injured most of the year.

I really believe that once you lose a competition (SC - RSSOPH vs WL - RSFR) there is really never another. Not surprising that Clifford was ahead of Levis in 2019. Players are all different. I think Clifford was a high floor low ceiling type where Levis was a low floor high ceiling type. You can argue if one has passed the other, but I think they are similar and Levis is viewed as still having the potential for growth.
I read that something like 33% of starting QBs are portal transfers. I am watching Bo Nix lead Oregon to a 7-1 record so far and recall him looking really bad last year against PSU.

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I actually disagree. WL is a much better runner than SC has ever been. And he is probably on a par as far as a passer (with a much stronger arm). Again, K has much less talent around him from WR to TE to RB. K recruiting hasn't been in the same level as ours.
WanDale Robinson was as good as the receivers we’ve had. Rodriguez is as good a RB and last year UK had a much better OLine than we’ve had the last two years. Levis, like Clifford, doesn’t run much so it doesn’t really matter who’s better. He does have a stronger arm, but he rarely throws downfield, so it doesn’t matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT