ADVERTISEMENT

Global Domination - Lineup Projections out to 2022-23

Didn't see the scroll down GS, Oly shirts. But ,you have Manville for Olympic RS in 18-19. I'm pretty sure that an olympic RS has to be in the year leading up to the Olympics--so Manville couldn't shirt in 18-19. He could in 19-20 (and might very well). And, if Manville does shirt in 19-20, there is no need in your lineup to have Joseph pull down to 157 that year (leaving alone the question whether he can or not).

Fresh off the presses: Link

Verkleeren never makes the lineup?

Berge > Verkleeren, in your opinion?

Dunno, honestly. Both are fine wrestlers. What I was trying to do here royboy was make some sense of our master plan prior to the Verkleeren news. That was one puzzle piece too many for my bandwidth. I would however appreciate the thoughts and rationale of others.

Reactions: royboy
Interesting (and talented) potential line-ups. A couple of other thoughts: I'm pretty sure Cortez has seen the last of 133. Also, I think it is more likely that Hall takes a RS (olympic or otherwise) the 2019-20 season. I'm sure he's already thinking about being ready for Olympic trials that year. In that 2019-20 season, could easily see Verkleeren and Berge holding down the 149-157 weights. Finally, I would not be surprised at all to see Cutch being our 197 this coming season.

Reactions: Sean Harp
Lots of fretting over the likely lineup logjams but I just don't see them as a problem for anyone involved. The team gets to wrestle off two tip tier guys, and the loser becomes depth/insurance. If someone winds up sitting, they're still practicing in the best room in the country and can bring that experience away if they transfer. Everyone knows what the deal is, and I can't imagine anyone was promised a spot. Squeezing in scholarships doesn't appear to be an obstacle for Cael, so shouldn't be a concern for us armchair managers, especially since no one knows anything. Clearly a very good wrestler is going to be left out, but that's a pretty good problem to have if you're a fan of the team. Whoever gets left out will be fine.

Reactions: purescurve
Interesting (and talented) potential line-ups. A couple of other thoughts: I'm pretty sure Cortez has seen the last of 133. Also, I think it is more likely that Hall takes a RS (olympic or otherwise) the 2019-20 season. I'm sure he's already thinking about being ready for Olympic trials that year. In that 2019-20 season, could easily see Verkleeren and Berge holding down the 149-157 weights. Finally, I would not be surprised at all to see Cutch being our 197 this coming season.

The sheet is now available for editing. Have at it, Tom.

197 should be interesting. Given all that he's been through, I can't help but root for Anthony Cassar. At the same time, Mouse and Shak have paid their dues. Unfortunately, only one can start.

Considering that wrestling has the highest injury rate of all college sports, how do the coaches set the depth chart? Not the lineup; the wrestlers settle that themselves. I'm talking contingency planning

Do you go into the season with Bo, Mouse, and Shak at 184? Then if Cassar gets hurt, move Bo to 197 with the winner of Mouse/Shak at 184?

Even if Cassar remains healthy, does our best lineup have Bo at 184 or 197?

Should be interesting.

Reactions: tomsc
I think Berge>Verkleeren but I'm a huge fan of Berge. I think he has multiple time national champion capability. It's a great problem to have either way.

Lots of fretting over the likely lineup logjams but I just don't see them as a problem for anyone involved. The team gets to wrestle off two tip tier guys, and the loser becomes depth/insurance. If someone winds up sitting, they're still practicing in the best room in the country and can bring that experience away if they transfer. Everyone knows what the deal is, and I can't imagine anyone was promised a spot. Squeezing in scholarships doesn't appear to be an obstacle for Cael, so shouldn't be a concern for us armchair managers, especially since no one knows anything. Clearly a very good wrestler is going to be left out, but that's a pretty good problem to have if you're a fan of the team. Whoever gets left out will be fine.

Howdy Tikk. No fretting here, mate. We're just like kids on Christmas enjoying the thought of fitting all these shiny new toys into the toybox. This kind of mental hopscotch is Mother's Milk for my ilk. It's our primary folkstyle fix until October... or at least until the UWW announces the new freestyle weights. Then we'll have another toybox to fill. :)
Be well. Sean

Baloney. I am a nice guy, both here and in life. "Cheers, mate." "Enjoy!". "Good point, posterXYZ", "Thanks for the info, poste123", and all that.

When making a point, I attempt to explain my rationale. When I'm wrong, I own it. Self-deprecation and good manners play well in the real world and are generally reciprocated in kind.

Not so in an anonymous virtual space. Those same traits are often mistaken for weakness. I have eaten many a jab and walked away. No mas.

This was a jab and you know it: "no. Give it up already." The fact that you're shocked that I punch back does not give you the moral high ground.

Cheers.

Sean

PS If you care to start over with a logical rebuttal regarding Joseph and 157, I'm your Huckleberry.
People who have to say they are a nice guy usually have a problem with being nice. Just my experience over a relatively long life. Your post alone doesn't align with your opinion of yourself.

I don't jab on the internet any longer, and I take nothing said on the internet as so life altering as to contemplate being "shocked" and "punched". LOL. Life is too short for that garbage. Honestly, Cenzo to 157 as a senior is so "out there" imo that I didn't think it needed a response beyond that which was made. My reasoning is to ask how often a wrestler who failed twice to make 157 as a TRFR and finished that season as a 165; then wrestled 165 his RSFR, RSSO, and RSJR season, returned as a 157 in his senior year? Or some such similar scenario. I'm sure it's happened once or twice over the years in college wrestling, but given its rarity outside being forced down by a clearly superior wrestler, it probably isn't prudent to make that your go-to lineup.

We can disagree without getting our panties in a bunch.

Last edited:
People who have to say they are a nice guy usually have a problem with being nice. Just my experience over a relatively long life. Your post alone doesn't align with your opinion of yourself.

I don't jab on the internet any longer, and I take nothing said on the internet as so life altering as to contemplate being "shocked" and "punched". LOL. Life is too short for that garbage. Honestly, Cenzo to 157 as a senior is so "out there" imo that I didn't think it needed a response beyond that which was made. My reasoning is to ask how often a wrestler who failed twice to make 157 as a TRFR and finished that season as a 165; then wrestled 165 his RSFR, RSSO, and RSJR season, returned as a 157 in his senior year? Or some such similar scenario. I'm sure it's happened once or twice over the years in college wrestling, but given its rarity outside being forced down by a clearly superior wrestler, it probably isn't prudent to make that your go-to lineup.

We can disagree without getting our panties in a bunch.

Yep, we disagree. It will be interesting to see which weight he chooses for freestyle once the new weights come out.

Options over the next three years.

Iron sharpens Iron!

125 Suriano, Busiello
133 Cortez, Teasdale, Busiello
141 Cortez, NLee, Bravo Young
149 Retherford, NLee, Berge, Verkleeren
157 Nolf, Berge, Verkleeren, JLee
165 Joseph, Manville, JLee
174 Hall, Rasheed, Manville
184 Nickal, Rasheed, Wittlake
197 McCutcheon, Cassar, Beard
285 NNevills, SNevills

Iron sharpens Iron!

125 Suriano, Busiello
285 NNevills, SNevills

Our second team could be top 5 :)

Reactions: PSU James
A warning from the Surgeon General: If you are a fan of any D1 wrestling program not named Penn State, the link below may cause nausea, depression, fits of rage, or general hopelessness.

One whole can

front.jpg
I would put Mchenry in at 125 in 2 years as red shirt....Kid is unreal...Cael and Cody are already on him....

The sheet is now available for editing. Have at it, Tom.

197 should be interesting. Given all that he's been through, I can't help but root for Anthony Cassar. At the same time, Mouse and Shak have paid their dues. Unfortunately, only one can start.

Considering that wrestling has the highest injury rate of all college sports, how do the coaches set the depth chart? Not the lineup; the wrestlers settle that themselves. I'm talking contingency planning

Do you go into the season with Bo, Mouse, and Shak at 184? Then if Cassar gets hurt, move Bo to 197 with the winner of Mouse/Shak at 184?

Even if Cassar remains healthy, does our best lineup have Bo at 184 or 197?

Should be interesting.

Thanks for opening it up! I used the Google Comments tool, and also made a few in-sheet edits.

Reactions: Sean Harp
He is a soph who is ranked #2 in the country at 106 by Intermat and spyker has anointed him as the second coming based on what he has read on the internet even though he has never seen him wrestle. :rolleyes:
Seen him wrestle 3 times NoVa.....Lol....Yea I really want this kid and so does Cael and the staff.....Look and see who Cael was following last week.....I didn't see it but was told by 2 different family members....Oh well we will see how things play out....

Seen him wrestle 3 times NoVa.....Lol....Yea I really want this kid and so does Cael and the staff.....Look and see who Cael was following last week.....I didn't see it but was told by 2 different family members....Oh well we will see how things play out....
Cael also follows Millhof, Pletcher, Storr, and a few others who wrestle elsewhere. Who he follows isn't a true indicator. At least not for most people.

Cael also follows Millhof, Pletcher, Storr, and a few others who wrestle elsewhere. Who he follows isn't a true indicator. At least not for most people.

Its amazing you have the stamina to continue to correct/challenge the "spyker record"...

Iron sharpens Iron!

125 Suriano, Busiello
285 NNevills, SNevills

Can you play out the line-up with Joey McKenna in there? Just for sharts n giggles.

Can you play out the line-up with Joey McKenna in there? Just for sharts n giggles.

No idea how the lineup plays out, but lots of redshirts available, including Mckenna. Does he also have the ability to Olympic Shirt from his Junior World silver?

I don't know if this would help or hurt projected lineups, but any chance Verk at 141? Doesn't seem like out of the relm being a 145 senior, at least not in the beginning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT