ADVERTISEMENT

Going to a lottery system for student tickets

I think during our football game at Maryland there was some talk about how full their student section was. Apparently they tie basketball seating to attendance of all games- including football. So kids have incentives to show up for the FIU (football) or Del State basketball game.

Attendance = continued tickets. Can you confirm Bison?
Don't know about that , but, their student section seems to be quite a bit smaller than ours. I'm sure it was full for our game, and rightly so. Was it full for FIU? Just as an aside, their student section wasn't so full for most of the second half.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
I have 3 of my 4. The only one that I'm missing: 86 Championship. Loaned it to a romantic interest to go into the last home game while I sat with my dad. Never saw the ticket again.
I have two. $21 for 6 games and $24 the next year. At least they didn’t keep increasing at that annual rate.

I think during our football game at Maryland there was some talk about how full their student section was. Apparently they tie basketball seating to attendance of all games- including football. So kids have incentives to show up for the FIU (football) or Del State basketball game.

Attendance = continued tickets. Can you confirm Bison?

Of course, basketball isn't enough of a draw at PSU to make that work. Nor any other sport (I'm sorry Wrestling, women's volleyball, etc - they aren't that popular to make a difference). Ice hockey is the only one that might work in that aspect but does student tickets sell out quickly or at all there?

I think the potentially way to work that is the reverse - you get points for attending non football sports and this gives you a point total that either allows you to automatically get football tickets or gives you a higher weight for the lottery. This creates a way for lesser sports to get more student support while providing a way for "superfans" to be likely to get tickets.

Of course, basketball isn't enough of a draw at PSU to make that work. Nor any other sport (I'm sorry Wrestling, women's volleyball, etc - they aren't that popular to make a difference). Ice hockey is the only one that might work in that aspect but does student tickets sell out quickly or at all there?

I think the potentially way to work that is the reverse - you get points for attending non football sports and this gives you a point total that either allows you to automatically get football tickets or gives you a higher weight for the lottery. This creates a way for lesser sports to get more student support while providing a way for "superfans" to be likely to get tickets.
Exactly. At Maryland football has traditionally been the dog, while basketball is king. They are both kind of mediocre now- but your point about supporting more than just football is what I was implying too.

At Southern Cal they send a pep band to every single home Trojan event. Could be as few as 5-8 kids....but they play the fight song...maybe just in shorts and a t-shirt. If you are a visiting Water Polo or Field Hockey player you will know you were at USC and likely loathe that tune...which is the point of home field advantage.

Hockey has had great support although it appears to maybe be waiting a bit. Men's soccer, our Lax teams, Volleyball all could be fun times and earn points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT