ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest Movie ever made? (The Wizard of Oz)

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
The meaning of the story is awesome and the use of color/sepia was incredible. So many layers. You can enjoy the movie as great pure entertainment. You can enjoy it for it's political subterfuge. Or, you can just enjoy the fact that a woman, following the yellow brick road (gold) to utopia (Oz) simply leads her back to the virtues of courage, heart, and intelligence while learning "Oz" was just a fantasy made up by a man. It all kind of relates back on this 80th anniversary or D-Day. it was filmed in 1939, the same year Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Goodbye Mr. Chips, and Gone with the Wind were released.

Obli, great post. While determining the GOAT for anything is subjective the Wizard certainly makes any short list. Subjectively, here a few more. The Godfather, Gone with the Wind, Remember the Titans, the Abyss, Foret Gump. One more, American Grafitti is currently showing on Amazon. Always a joy to watch.

I have to be honest...I never "got" the love for Forest Gump. I found it dark and sad. Honestly, hard to watch. But I respect your opinion.
Never “got” the love? I get not liking it, that is simply one’s opinion. But not understanding the love? It’s a great movie. A dimwitted/ naive child/adult overcomes every and all adversity to do great things in the world simply by being a good person and persevering, while others around him succumb to the trappings of the world. It’s uplifting and inspiring.

Never “got” the love? I get not liking it, that is simply one’s opinion. But not understanding the love? It’s a great movie. A dimwitted/ naive child/adult overcomes every and all adversity to do great things in the world simply by being a good person and persevering, while others around him succumb to the trappings of the world. It’s uplifting and inspiring.
Even after reading that I agree with the other poster. I still don't get the love. Very overrated but everyone had their own opinions regarding movies and what they deem to be great. It wouldn't make my top 250 list lol

• Sad
Reactions: MacNit2.0 and Ski
Obli, great post. While determining the GOAT for anything is subjective the Wizard certainly makes any short list. Subjectively, here a few more. The Godfather, Gone with the Wind, Remember the Titans, the Abyss, Foret Gump. One more, American Grafitti is currently showing on Amazon. Always a joy to watch.
Add to your list -- Citizen Kane

The meaning of the story is awesome and the use of color/sepia was incredible. So many layers. You can enjoy the movie as great pure entertainment. You can enjoy it for it's political subterfuge. Or, you can just enjoy the fact that a woman, following the yellow brick road (gold) to utopia (Oz) simply leads her back to the virtues of courage, heart, and intelligence while learning "Oz" was just a fantasy made up by a man. It all kind of relates back on this 80th anniversary or D-Day. it was filmed in 1939, the same year Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Goodbye Mr. Chips, and Gone with the Wind were released.

No. Gone with the Wind.

Reactions: Obliviax
Not sure how Saving Private Ryan isn’t being mentioned especially with this being the 80th anniversary of D-Day. I remember watching it in the theater and being literally frozen in my seat just mesmerized. I took a Monday off from work and went to a matinee weeks after it was released so the theater wouldn’t be crowded. I was with my new girlfriend at the time and it took a lot of self control to keep from bawling when Private Ryan visited the cemetery with his family. I’ve seen the movie at least 100 times and still get choked up every time.

Funny story.

I'm 66. Watched Wizard of OZ every year up until age 12(?).
Never saw it again until I'm in my mid-twenties.
It blew my mind when the film went from B&W to color. I never knew that as we always had a B&W TV when I watched it.

Last edited:
I’m partial to Marty and Doc…or possibly Johnny Hooker and Henry Gondorf…or maybe Quint, Martin Brody and Matt Hooper.

…and let’s not forget Bluto, Otter, Pinto and Flounder!

It's a solid list imo.

1. Tornadoes in Kansas okay
2. Little people that sing in harmony okay
3. Brainless, Cowardly Heartless secondary actors okay (could be politicians)
4. Good and Bad witches okay
5. A guy behind the curtain pulling the strings very, very okay probably the director’s wife.
6. Lethal gas attacks okay
7. They completely lost me with the flying monkeys in circus outfits.
8. Unbelievable ending, no body returns to Kansas voluntarily.

Not sure how Saving Private Ryan isn’t being mentioned especially with this being the 80th anniversary of D-Day. I remember watching it in the theater and being literally frozen in my seat just mesmerized. I took a Monday off from work and went to a matinee weeks after it was released so the theater wouldn’t be crowded. I was with my new girlfriend at the time and it took a lot of self control to keep from bawling when Private Ryan visited the cemetery with his family. I’ve seen the movie at least 100 times and still get choked up every time.
It on TCM tonight…..like starting now.

Reactions: harbest
1. Tornadoes in Kansas okay
2. Little people that sing in harmony okay
3. Brainless, Cowardly Heartless secondary actors okay (could be politicians)
4. Good and Bad witches okay
5. A guy behind the curtain pulling the strings very, very okay probably the director’s wife.
6. Lethal gas attacks okay
7. They completely lost me with the flying monkeys in circus outfits.
8. Unbelievable ending, no body returns to Kansas voluntarily.
Careful. When was the last time you visited KS?

The only dvds that get any replays in my house: A Christmas Story, Animal House, Caddyshack, Blues Brothers, The Big Lebowski and the Friday 3 movie collection.

My cinematic standards are low, but the fact that I still laugh my ass off after seeing these dozens of times gotta count for something.

It also says something about my relative maturity level....as a 59 year old

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT