ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest Movie ever made? (The Wizard of Oz)

As long as we're commiserating, some of my favorites are Casablanca, The Right Stuff, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, The Last Hurrah, North by Northwest, and Tombstone.

My son who is an editor in the business says Back to the Future is a "perfect" movie and he's the most critical person I know. Don't ask why he says that. I have no idea.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Although I also believe Saving Private Ryan is one of the best, I'm also a big fan of Hacksaw Ridge. Sargent York is also a classic.
Saw Hacksaw Ridge and thought it was typical Hollywood exaggeration. How could one man do such a thing?

Read up and it turns out the true story may have been even more miraculous. One guy stayed a week lowering down the wounded , may have been longer and more wounded returned than the movie showed. Just an amazing story.

Reactions: Obliviax
As long as we're commiserating, some of my favorites are Casablanca, The Right Stuff, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, The Last Hurrah, North by Northwest, and Tombstone.
Agreed. And a lot of groundbreaking technology and techniques get adapted so these older movies don't look like the cutting-edge and outside-the-box thinking that they were. For example, the swinging light and shadows in Psycho is now very commonly used. Or, the tech to show outer space in the original Star Wars movies looks comical with today's CGI. I remember being SHOCKED when seeing the first dinosaurs in Jurassic Park.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
The Heat of The Night (1967)

Steiger and Poitier were out of this world in that film. Even the bit players were amazing.
Guess Who is Coming to Dinner. Pretty much anything with Mr Poitier or Danzel Washington. Both tremendous actors in that made several powerful films. Glory, Philadelphia Story,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT