ADVERTISEMENT

Guesses on redshirts

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
What's your guesses on redshirt, mop up time, role player, or starter for the incoming class?

In order of average recruiting ranking:
J'ven Williams
Alex Birchmeier
Tony Rojas
King Mack
Andrew Rappleyea
DaKaari Nelson
Elliot Washington
Jameial Lyons
Chimdy Onoh
Kavieon Keys
Ta'Mere Robinson
Joey Schlaffer
Carmelo Taylor
Joseph Mupoyi
Anthony Donkoh
London Montgomery
Zion Tracy
Lamont Payne
Mason Robinson
Jaxon Smolik
Tyriq Blanding
Cameron Wallace

Transfers:
Dante Cephas
Malik McClain
Trey Potts
Alonzo Ford
Audavion Collins
Riley Thompson

I'll give you my guess on the RS's.....

For the true freshmen I'll rate them like Franklin has in the past, Green, Yellow (will play some but likely just the 4 games or less) and Red (no plans to burn their redshirt but could get in a few blowouts)

Green:
Rojas (too good not to play some LB and likely a key special teams player)
Washington (need to get a young CB or 2 ready for 2024, and ST contributor)

Yellow (likely to play in 4 games, but likely RS unless injuries at their position):
Mack (another potential terror on special teams. Could move to Green)
J'ven Williams (An injury at OT could force him to play being the likely 4th OT, but I believe he's still likely a 4 game player)
Rappleyea
(big talent and game ready size, but redshirt unless there are injuries at TE. Probably too many TE's ahead of him.)
Ta'Mere Robinson (may be ready to play, but only 3rd team at Mike LB)
London Montgomery (could earn special teams duty if totally healthy)
Payne (reportedly played well in Spring. Definite need for young CB's to get experience)

Red:
Alex Birchmeier (big talent but why waste a year. Likely 4 game player)
DaKaari Nelson (big talent but why waste a year. Likely 4 game player)
Jameial Lyons (no need to burn redshirts at DE)
Chimdy Onoh (obvious redshirt)
Kavieon Keys (could play some special teams, but summer arrival and plays at position of strength)
Joey Schlaffer
Carmelo Taylor
Joseph Mupoyi (no need to burn redshirts at DE)
Anthony Donkoh
Zion Tracy
Mason Robinson (no need to burn redshirts at DE)
Jaxon Smolik (hope he gets some snaps in up to 4 blowouts)
Tyriq Blanding (needs year in S&C)
Cameron Wallace (burner that may get some carries in a couple games)

The key transfers seem to have all come to PSU to play - Dante Cephas, Malik McClain, Trey Potts, Alonzo Ford. As I remember Collins is young, but he is listed as a RS freshman so with the need to develop 2024 CB's he is likely to play if he is up to it.

Last edited:
I'll give you my guess on the RS's.....

For the true freshmen I'll rate them like Franklin has in the past, Green, Yellow (will play some but likely just the 4 games or less) and Red (no plans to burn their redshirt but could get in a few blowouts)

Green:
Rojas (too good not to play some LB and likely a key special teams player)
Washington (need to get a young CB or 2 ready for 2024, and ST contributor)

Yellow (likely to play in 4 games, but likely RS unless injuries at their position):
Mack (another potential terror on special teams. Could move to Green)
Rappleyea (big talent and game ready size, but redshirt unless there are injuries at TE)
Ta'Mere Robinson (may be ready to play, but only 3rd team at Mike LB)
London Montgomery (could earn special teams duty if totally healthy)
Payne (reportedly played well in Spring. Definite need for young CB's to get experience)

Red:
J'ven Williams (big talent but why waste a year. Likely 4 game player)
Alex Birchmeier (big talent but why waste a year. Likely 4 game player)
DaKaari Nelson (big talent but why waste a year. Likely 4 game player)
Jameial Lyons (no need to burn redshirts at DE)
Chimdy Onoh (obvious redshirt)
Kavieon Keys (could play some special teams, but summer arrival and plays at position of strength)
Joey Schlaffer
Carmelo Taylor
Joseph Mupoyi (no need to burn redshirts at DE)
Anthony Donkoh
Zion Tracy
Mason Robinson (no need to burn redshirts at DE)
Jaxon Smolik (hope he gets some snaps in up to 4 blowouts)
Tyriq Blanding (needs year in S&C)
Cameron Wallace (burner that may get some carries in a couple games)

The key transfers seem to have all come to PSU to play - Dante Cephas, Malik McClain, Trey Potts, Alonzo Ford. As I remember Collins is young and could redshirt given the experience and depth at CB for 2023.
i agree with a lot of this...a couple of minor disagreements...

London Montgomery - i think a total redshirt...knee and year in S&C needed
J'ven Williams - seems like the 4th OT on roster so i say hard yellow/green

also Zion Tracy could surprise early...he was hurt a little in the winter though...i think he's a little older than the avg true freshmen and he could have been a D1 level WR recruit...watch his HS film and the guy can fly and has a bigger wingspan...plus even if his hands were say average as a WR recruit, well that would make his hands really good as a CB recruit pretty much instantly

here's a hot take...i think Anthony Donkoh ends up being the highest drafted OL in his class when it's all said and done...guy is just naturally huge with big wingspan and good mobility

i agree with a lot of this...a couple of minor disagreements...

London Montgomery - i think a total redshirt...knee and year in S&C needed
J'ven Williams - seems like the 4th OT on roster so i say hard yellow/green

also Zion Tracy could surprise early...he was hurt a little in the winter though...i think he's a little older than the avg true freshmen and he could have been a D1 level WR recruit...watch his HS film and the guy can fly and has a bigger wingspan...plus even if his hands were say average as a WR recruit, well that would make his hands really good as a CB recruit pretty much instantly

here's a hot take...i think Anthony Donkoh ends up being the highest drafted OL in his class when it's all said and done...guy is just naturally huge with big wingspan and good mobility
Yep, I agree on Williams. He should be yellow. I just believe the staff will still try to preserve his redshirt. He could still play a good many snaps in 4 games. But an injury could force the staff's hand. But we might see a swing player like Traore or Nelson enter a game late in the season if Williams has already played in his 4 games in order to preserve his redshirt even if Williams is listed as the 4th OT.

With Montgomery it just depends on if he's healthy. Obviously with Potts as the 3rd there is no need to rush the true freshman RB's unless there is an injury. But every team needs to have 3 talented RB's available every week.

One of the most interesting positions to watch for the true freshmen is CB, as King, Dixon and Hardy, the top 3 this coming season, will all be gone after the season. Miller is the only CB with experience prior to 2023 that will come back for 2024. Definite need to evaluate and get experience for the true freshmen CB's, even if the staff plans to look for a portal CB after the 2023 season. It just seems that Tracy missed time this Spring and also came in thin but now listed at 182. It wouldn't surprise me to see at least 2 of the true freshmen CB's burn their redshirts but the staff may be able to get them ready for 2024 in practice and the 4 allowed games plus the bowl practices and game. I also just looked at the roster again for the incoming transfer Collins. He's listed as a redshirt freshman, so he can't redshirt which may put him on the field over a player like Tracy. Will be interesting to watch how this plays out game by game.

I'll make a couple of edits........

Last edited:
Presenting a contrary opinion. While I understand redshirting, and its value for both the program and the player. Why is a rule adhered to in a sport that no longer has any rules? In the modern game of Nil, virtual free agency and players leaving early for the League, redshirting appears to be in many cases a nostalgic throwback. While valuable and useful in player development, and something I believe in, its actual existence as not just a concept but a rule in a Lawless environment amuses me. Perhaps the answer is that at this stage in a player’s development there just isn’t enough money involved to destroy it.

Rojas, Mack, Washington and Rapyealea are playing.

Jven William's team rarely passed. He is probably not going to be ready to pass protect. Ta'mere robinson started out HS as a CB, then went to S and DE. He really does not have much experience as a LB.

Presenting a contrary opinion. While I understand redshirting, and its value for both the program and the player. Why is a rule adhered to in a sport that no longer has any rules? In the modern game of Nil, virtual free agency and players leaving early for the League, redshirting appears to be in many cases a nostalgic throwback. While valuable and useful in player development, and something I believe in, its actual existence as not just a concept but a rule in a Lawless environment amuses me. Perhaps the answer is that at this stage in a player’s development there just isn’t enough money involved to destroy it.

It is not about the rules. The rules went down the toilet. They are irrelevant. No point in redshirting anyone really UNLESS they are not ready to play.

IF you do redshirt a player it is a wasted year MOST of the time because great players leave early and players who cant get on the field eventually transfer. MOST players never see a 5th year at their original school. Anyone have a stat on that? I am sure it is well over 50%

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT