ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights from PSU's big win over Wisky

The benchmark for PSU football fans is top 10 wins. Basketball has 0 in the last two years.

The benchmark for PSU football fans is top 10 wins. Basketball has 0 in the last two years.
Wasn't O'l Miss #11 going into the Peach Bowl? Just like Wisky's BB team going into last night's game.

Looks like Coach Rhoades has already done what Franklin hasn't done in some time............

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Wasn't O'l Miss #11 going into the Peach Bowl? Just like Wisky's BB team going into last night's game.

Looks like Coach Rhoades has already done what Franklin hasn't done in some time............

Is 11 in the top 10? Wasn't Iowa football in the top 20? Did we count that as a top 10 win for Franklin?

Basketball has ZERO top 10 wins. 0.0.

If you want to use top 20 wins as your benchmark then fine with me but do it the for all the teams. Don't complain about lack of top 10 wins for the football team and then praise the basketball team with ZERO top ten wins. I think Basketball had 0 last year too.

Didn't the football team finish in the top 15? Do you think the basketball team will even make the tournament field of 65?

Ya.. If Cleary and Baldwin opted out...you bet. Otherwise ... 😂

Is 11 in the top 10? Wasn't Iowa football in the top 20? Did we count that as a top 10 win for Franklin?

If you want to use top 20 wins as your benchmark then fine with me but do it the for all the teams. Don't complain about lack of top 10 wins for the football team and then praise the basketball team with ZERO top ten wins. I think Basketball had 0 last year too.

Didn't the football team finish in the top 15? Do you think the basketball team will even make the tournament field of 65?
Yep, you already said that. Because you believe top 10 wins are the benchmark for PSU fans doesn't make it so for all PSU fans. And it seems to be splitting hairs to differentiate between the #10 and #11 team when these teams move around so much during the season. Some people believe that the final rankings taking in the whole season are the most accurate. Others give "credit" for wins over teams where they were ranked when they played them.

The interesting thing is that both the football team and the basketball team played the #11 team in their sport, at the time that those games were played.

What I said was that Coach Roades in his first year led his team to a win over the #11 team, which Franklin could not do. I'm not really hitting on Franklin as he didn't have 3 of his top starters for the game but it still is an accomplishment for Coach Rhoades that Franklin didn't accomplish this season. The best team Franklin could beat was Iowa.

Yep, the football team managed to finish in the top 15 even though they didn't beat one top 15 team.

Last edited:
Please put an asterisk on these threads * meaning ‘same ole same old tiresome BS’.
The topic of this thread is a PSU basketball win vs the 11th ranked team in the country. A team that PSU has few and far between wins against, by a coach in his first year that inherited a decimated roster. And it is interesting that the football team had a chance to play against a similarly ranked team to end it's season but couldn't get it done.

Can't prevent the same old crying from ending up here unless I got board monitor status. If I had it I'd delete the same old crying as fast as it appears.......

But adding more crying doesn't help either.

Would be great if some PSU BB fans wanted to further discuss the possibilities for this year's team and what's ahead for coach Rhoades. The team most likely has to have a winning B10 record for the remainder of the season to get consideration for the NIT, and that is a tall order with the remaining schedule.

Clary and Kern will be nice building blocks for next season and if the big Center from CA comes in ready to play coach Rhoades may have a chance to get a better start to the 2024-25 season and have a better chance to make the dance.

Last edited:

You should get into politics where fallacious arguments can dupe low information voters. The top 20 in football is 15% of division 1 programs. The top 20 in basketball is only 5.5% of division 1 programs. Your argument is as nonsensical as saying the basketball team was better than the football team because the basketball team made the playoffs and the football team didn’t.

Shut up. We completely exceeded expectations by making the second round of the NCAA tournament and we almost won the big ten championship last season. For this season, we are doing better than most people thought we would at this point in the season. Most people predicted us to finish in the basement of the big ten. Rhoades looks to be an EXCELLENT hire!!! You have unrealistic expectations.

Shut up. We completely exceeded expectations by making the second round of the NCAA tournament and we almost won the big ten championship last season. For this season, we are doing better than most people thought we would at this point in the season. Most people predicted us to finish in the basement of the big ten. Rhoades looks to be an EXCELLENT hire!!! You have unrealistic expectations.
I thought most were way too optimistic about this year’s team pre-season (and early in the season). I definitely don’t think that most were predicting us to finish last in the B1G (especially within our fanbase).

Agree that we exceeded all expectations last year.

College hoops has two major polls with Wisky at #8 in Coaches Poll which makes it a Top 10 win.
Though it’s still very early, they were projecting as a 2 seed in pretty much every bracket…they’ve been playing REALLY well.

They high jacked both threads. I wonder if some of these negative guys react that way at home. Say a prayer for their families. They see a dark cloud behind every silver lining.
Yeah it seems every thread gets hijacked with the same 💩. There are four or five third graders here constantly throwing temper tantrums yelling ‘Hey look at me’. And then the other kids have to engage in five pages of ‘I am smarter than you!’.

Sadly, the test board is more interesting as they discuss multiple issues instead of the only two discussed here…..we/Franklin sucks and bowl games are meaningless.

Last edited:
Yeah it seems every thread gets hijacked with the same 💩. There are four or five third graders here constantly throwing temper tantrums yelling ‘Hey look at me’. And the. The other kids have to engage in five pages of ‘I am smarter than you!’.

Sadly, the test board is more interesting as they discuss multiple issues instead of the only two discussed here…..we/Franklin sucks and bowl games are meaningless.
Very true.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Beating Wisconsin was a very impressive win, no matter how you look at it.

I honestly though that Puff would be a larger contributor this year than what he has been so far.
Hard to believe he could do much in the ACC, but the B10 seems more physical and the style is sure not his style. Pretty soft for his size. Can't imagine his minutes increasing unless he some how ups his rebounding and defense.

O'Boyle doesn't really seem to fit Rhoades' style of play either. Sure he can hit a couple 3's IF he's left open. But watching him scamper around trying to find and guard his man who is usually much more physical than he is makes him look a little lost at times. And he tends to end up on the floor too often. Wonder if Lilley seemingly playing better will cut down on O'Boyle's minutes against the more physical teams on the schedule.

Last edited:
Puff strikes me as a guy who grew up in his big brother's shadow and got comfortable in it. He really seems to coast and doesn't assert himself. He clearly has the talent to be better than he's showing us.

Reactions: bison13

Completely different expectations on the two programs. Franklin gets paid 3x more. He has the inherent advantage of being at a blue blood program thanks to Joe.

Completely different expectations on the two programs. Franklin gets paid 3x more. He has the inherent advantage of being at a blue blood program thanks to Joe.
A blue blood with reduced scholarships, severely damaged reputation, kids allowed to transfer out(before portal days). A program in turmoil. Previous coach left with some bitter words.

He did a great job rebuilding the program. Now he has to take it to the next step…. the top. He has about three years to get it done.

A blue blood with reduced scholarships, severely damaged reputation, kids allowed to transfer out(before portal days). A program in turmoil. Previous coach left with some bitter words.

He did a great job rebuilding the program. Now he has to take it to the next step…. the top. He has about three years to get it done.
If this new OC can't deliver then Franklin will circle the drain.

Puff strikes me as a guy who grew up in his big brother's shadow and got comfortable in it. He really seems to coast and doesn't assert himself. He clearly has the talent to be better than he's showing us.
Agree on the talent part...He scored 11 points in a National Title game, so he obviously has talent. I don't know if we're completely using him to suit his skill set (he's drifting around on the perimeter and taking too many 3's, when he's never been a good 3 point shooter). I'd love to see him a little more in a pick and roll, maybe playing a bit in the high post, etc. And I want to see him crashing the boards a lot more (Cam Wynter had a better defensive rebounding rate than Puff, and he currently gets less Defensive Boards than Kanye...we need more out of our 4).

One big positive is that he does lead the country right now in turnover rate.

O'Boyle doesn't really seem to fit Rhoades' style of play either. Sure he can hit a couple 3's IF he's left open. But watching him scamper around trying to find and guard his man who is usually much more physical than he is makes him look a little lost at times. And he tends to end up on the floor too often. Wonder if Lilley seemingly playing better will cut down on O'Boyle's minutes against the more physical teams on the schedule.
15 or 20years ago, a player like O'Boyle would have been one of the two or three best players on PSU's team. as much as people criticize the program it actually has come a long way. really all the coaches contributed to that but I think the most important one was Chambers. he broke down the crazy perceptions that we couldn't recruit like our peers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT