ADVERTISEMENT

Honest...Recruiting Class Vibe?

proud2bpsufan

Jan 4, 2013
Does the current group of commits seem like a solid 10-win season kind of class? Or does the lack of top end talent put us in a lackluster 8-9 wins category in the future? Who, besides RB Alvin Henderson, strikes you as a game changing type of player?

For God's sake. Guess the classes over and all of the rating services have been their final rating of each player. Come back later. Besides that one single class never wins any amount of games in a single season by themselves.

For God's sake. Guess the classes over and all of the rating services have been their final rating of each player. Come back later. Besides that one single class never wins any amount of games in a single season by themselves.
Of course, one class doesn't win or lose any amount of games. As to not offend your sensitive nature, I guess I probably should have worded it a bit differently. However, all you wanted to do is attack what you didn't like about my honest question without even giving a meaningful answer to the question itself.

• Love
Reactions: psualt and Ski
Well, we are ranked 11, 11, and 12 on rivals, 247, and on3 for 2025. The sky is falling!!!!!! Oh no, losing seasons are ahead. 🤪
Agreed. Plus kids will change commitments before LOI and then you have NIL xfers. Rutgers is having a good recruiting year but Schiano could be gone. tOSU and UM could be unstable as well, from a HC perspective. PSU too! My point is we are a long way from drawing conclusions.

Well, we are ranked 11, 11, and 12 on rivals, 247, and on3 for 2025. The sky is falling!!!!!! Oh no, losing seasons are ahead. 🤪
Again, all you want to do is attack a valid question on a football message board about a legitimate football question. You don't even bother to give your assessment of any commit as to why, at this time, you consider that commit to be a high-end game changing type of player.

Does the current group of commits seem like a solid 10-win season kind of class? Or does the lack of top end talent put us in a lackluster 8-9 wins category in the future? Who, besides RB Alvin Henderson, strikes you as a game changing type of player?
Based on recruiting who will win a NC this year?

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Of course, one class doesn't win or lose any amount of games. As to not offend your sensitive nature, I guess I probably should have worded it a bit differently. However, all you wanted to do is attack what you didn't like about my honest question without even giving a meaningful answer to the question itself.
My sensitive nature?
L

You are the one reacting emotionally to criticism not me. Call me what you want, I don't care. That doesn't change the fact that your post was poorly thought out, uninformed and worthless, especially at this point in time. No one can give a meaningful answer to a meaningless question.

Again, all you want to do is attack a valid question on a football message board about a legitimate football question. You don't even bother to give your assessment of any commit as to why, at this time, you consider that commit to be a high-end game changing type of player.
Relax, you should know that whatever you post on a message board half of the other posters are going to automatically say you’re wrong. That doesn’t mean the other half think you’re right, their just waiting for you to post something that they don’t like.

My sensitive nature?
L

You are the one reacting emotionally to criticism not me. Call me what you want, I don't care. That doesn't change the fact that your post was poorly thought out, uninformed and worthless, especially at this point in time. No one can give a meaningful answer to a meaningless question.
Again, no substance to your post.

Reactions: Ski
I'll give an honest answer here. I'm not totally thrilled with some of the talent that we have lost out on but we also don't know how the class will end up. They are by no means in a terrible spot right now with this class but it does lack obvious likely difference makers outside of CB and RB. A lot of those recruits seem to be bought these days and our NIL isn't cutting it. We knew that would be the case when a handful of business leaders in SC got their hands on this and took a totally different approach than all of the elite competition.

Now it could be that we have some under-rated kids that we took early, and the ratings haven't caught on to them. Obviously, the staff liked them and they've been excellent talent evaluators for years. Or it could be that we took too many reaches which just means more open spots after they transfer out when they are buried on the depth chart. Hard for us to say right now.

Last edited:
I go by #11 ranking which is good and where we have been most years. With that said no 5 stars. I doubt we get any 5 stars as I don't think any have us on their radar. There is still a ways to go.

We need defensive linemen, both tackles and EDGE guys. Big priority.

We should get Lex Cyrus at WR as a speedster and have Lyrick Samuel out of Brooklyn.

O-Line is coming along but no 4 stars so need to pick up a couple 4 stars.

LB is in good position with two 4 star guys and Alex Tatsch just below 4 star at 89.

Need a couple safeties.

CB looking great with the two recent 4 star signees.

RB look good and TE looks good.

We got Bekkem Kritza at QB (3 star 87 rating). Looking at QB I think Allar leaves after this year so that will leave Pribula for 2 and Grunk for 3 kind of battling it out. So we should be covered until 2027. Don't see QB as a critical need in this class.

I go by #11 ranking which is good and where we have been most years. With that said no 5 stars. I doubt we get any 5 stars as I don't think any have us on their radar. There is still a ways to go.

We should get Lex Cyrus at WR as a speedster and have Lyrick Samuel out of Brooklyn.

LB is in good position with two 4 star guys and Alex Tatsch just below 4 star at 89.

Need a couple safeties.

We got Bekkem Kritza at QB (3 star 87 rating). Looking at QB I think Allar leaves after this year so that will leave Pribula for 2 and Grunk for 3 kind of battling it out. So we should be covered until 2027. Don't see QB as a critical need in this class.
I think Allar would need an exceptional year for him leaving early to make sense. It's not in his best interest unless he is clearly in the first round. I'm not sure that he is unless he makes a huge jump this season although he may.

Reactions: lilromeo

Need a couple safeties.

I think you have a good assessment of needs. Both lines are the current areas for Franklin to focus on the rest of this cycle. Another WR would be nice as well.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
I think you have a good assessment of needs. Both lines are the current areas for Franklin to focus on the rest of this cycle. Another WR would be nice as well.
We are in the running for two DTs from Florida, Randy Adirika and Jarquez Carter. Both 4 stars or at least one is and the other is a very high 3 star.

My vibe is we are getting players who are talented and fill some needs but no monster superstar yet. Who ever our wr coach is we may need an upgrade to get top wr talent.

Nobody said losing seasons are ahead and we all know the class isn't done. People are just concerned that we've lost a few priority targets and the distance between PSU and OSU/OR/USC etc is getting bigger.

People are just concerned that we've lost a few priority targets and the distance between PSU and OSU/OR/USC etc is getting bigger.

OSU has always had the distance over us. Franklin's best work hasn't beaten them in recruiting yet and generally speaking, nobody outside of Bama and UGA have consistently recruited better (on paper, on the field). Michigan and their 3 wins in a row plus a National championship and they still aren't in the OSU ballpark recruiting wise.

What does that tell you?

USC has yet to even win 10 games under Riley. His style of offense doesn't lend to good defense. Lynn has his work cut out for him, even if every player improves. Still, they generally have top 15 level talent or better, but haven't been a recruiting juggernaut since Sneaky Pete.

Oregon is kind of OSU lite, more money, but less prestige. If they can win in the conference, they will be tough. And if they don't, they'll keep spending.

We are setup to make a run. Allar, Carter, Allen, Singleton, DDS, Winston. These guys are playmakers. Carter wasn't a 5*, but he's played like one at times.

What the current class lacks in the seemingly expected high end, we have to hope it has someone developing into an explosive player.

Nobody said losing seasons are ahead and we all know the class isn't done. People are just concerned that we've lost a few priority targets and the distance between PSU and OSU/OR/USC etc is getting bigger.
Well, we’re right with USC and OR this recruiting cycle, but until signing day, a few million different scenarios can happen. Unfortunately, recruiting is increasingly in our own domain as alums/fans in terms of how much money we are donating to these collectives. We’re the NIL beast of the Northeast, but not so much nationally. The new system sucks and it’s not going away.

The class is fine. Lyrick Samual is a playmaker. We are a couple Wrs away from the naysayers having to look for something else to complain about.

This class seems to be right on par with what we’ve come to expect from Franklin in his ten years. Finish somewhere between 10-20, depending on how the season goes and what guys we circle back to or flip based on a good/bad season.

Rinse and repeat until we finally get over the hump again or make some noise in the playoffs. Another factor would be a big year from Coach K and the offense - Allar flirts with heisman conversations and the WRs produce big plays - feels like it would go a long with QB/WR recruiting which seems slow in the 25/26 classes.

Anyone know when Lex Cyrus, the WR, is going to announce? It looks like South Carolina is in the mix with us.

USC lost two 5 star defensive players in last 24hours. Recruiting is tough
I just read here to be worried that USC was ahead of us and today they are 19 and we are 10 in that blink of an eye. It’s probably not worth paying too much attention to this until October. Unfortunately, this system is the wild West at this point.

Not sure I understand the vitriol for the OP asking a reasonable question. Franklin has missed on a lot of recruits this cycle we were expected to get. Legacy 4* recruit OT from PA to Alabama, #1 recruit in PA at DE, highest rated QB in PA since McCord going to Mizzou, #1 recruit in NJ a WR at a desperate position of need, and of course the 4* OT from NJ decomitting from us to commit to Rutgers. I love the two recent CB commits and Terry Smith is killing it, but not getting at least a few 5 stars or at least high 4 stars is really what keeps us behind OSU and the SEC. I’m a huge Franklin supporter and love what he’s done with our program, but we’ve got into a lull of being a good program that can’t be elite or challenge for a MNC. I know recruiting is fluid and a lot can change between now and early signing day, but it’s a legit question and one I have as well the last couple recruiting cycles.

Reactions: Ski
Not sure I understand the vitriol for the OP asking a reasonable question. Franklin has missed on a lot of recruits this cycle we were expected to get. Legacy 4* recruit OT from PA to Alabama, #1 recruit in PA at DE, highest rated QB in PA since McCord going to Mizzou, #1 recruit in NJ a WR at a desperate position of need, and of course the 4* OT from NJ decomitting from us to commit to Rutgers. I love the two recent CB commits and Terry Smith is killing it, but not getting at least a few 5 stars or at least high 4 stars is really what keeps us behind OSU and the SEC. I’m a huge Franklin supporter and love what he’s done with our program, but we’ve got into a lull of being a good program that can’t be elite or challenge for a MNC. I know recruiting is fluid and a lot can change between now and early signing day, but it’s a legit question and one I have as well the last couple recruiting cycles.
Missed so many that psu is top 10. Didn't lose anyone to Pitt like the old days.

Don't lie about being a huge Franklin fan. You did not even give him credit for the players you like. You gave terry smith the credit.

Matthews fell in the rankings. Why do you think he ended up at Rutgers? There were even questions on the rutgers board if they would take him.

Last edited:
Antonio Branch, a safety out of Florida, just committed. 89 composite/3 star/#439 nationally/#37 safety on 247. Our class is now #9 ranked.

USC lost two 5 star defensive players in last 24hours. Recruiting is tough

And we're about to lose Henderson, apparently. Also to the SEC.

This class is a good class so far. Not a great class. Not an elite class. But a good class. The kind of class that will create 9/10-win type seasons. Whether that's a critique or a compliment kinda depends on what you're aiming for, but it's pretty consistent with where we are these days.

Really need more WR help and a top-tier QB -- although that probably won't happen in this class. The Zoller miss was a tough one.

This class is a good class so far. Not a great class. Not an elite class. But a good class. The kind of class that will create 9/10-win type seasons. Whether that's a critique or a compliment kinda depends on what you're aiming for, but it's pretty consistent with where we are these days.

Really need more WR help and a top-tier QB -- although that probably won't happen in this class. The Zoller miss was a tough one.

Fire seider

You can't say definitively this type of class equals a 9-10 win seasons. Not that linear and obviously other variables come into play. For example, Grunk could be a superstar and elevate the team. I do agree though given Franklin's dismal record versus equal or better talented teams with a class like this it would be tough to pull off upsets versus an OSU and Oregon.

You can't say definitively this type of class equals a 9-10 win seasons. Not that linear and obviously other variables come into play. For example, Grunk could be a superstar and elevate the team. I do agree though given Franklin's dismal record versus equal or better talented teams with a class like this it would be tough to pull off upsets versus an OSU and Oregon.

Of course not.

But the point I'm making is that this class -- taken in conjunction with the classes around it -- seems like the backbone of a good team. A 9/10-win type of team.

I do think we'll probably settle in the 12-15 range. We're #10 in the composite, but with more commits -- and a slightly lower average player rating -- than schools like Tennessee, USC, Texas, Oregon, and Michigan. Again, a good class and pretty consistent with what we've assembled lately. Which have produced teams that generally win about 10 games.

Can you say anything definitively negative about the class?

Of course not.

But the point I'm making is that this class -- taken in conjunction with the classes around it -- seems like the backbone of a good team. A 9/10-win type of team.

I do think we'll probably settle in the 12-15 range. We're #10 in the composite, but with more commits -- and a slightly lower average player rating -- than schools like Tennessee, USC, Texas, Oregon, and Michigan. Again, a good class and pretty consistent with what we've assembled lately. Which have produced teams that generally win about 10 games.
Until Franklin shows the ability to pull off an upset (not a huge upset but a 5 point dog or thereabouts, for example, which is the early line in our game vs OSU) this is the cycle we are in. Solid/good but not elite and never winning a NC nor even reaching a final four. Many on this board are content with that but I am not.

I think we should be able to beat an Ohio State or now throw Oregon in there about 30% of the time, call it once every 4 years and advance at least into the final 8 and perhaps the final 4 and beyond. Not saying every 4 years we are in the final 4 but maybe one out of eight?

A #12 recruiting class is talented and with the right coaching, culture, chemistry can challenge a #1 or #2 class and beat them. That is certainly not unrealistic or unreasonable. It is not all chalk albeit the best recruiting classes win a lot (Alabama but they also had superior coaching).

Until Franklin shows the ability to pull off an upset (not a huge upset but a 5 point dog or thereabouts, for example, which is the early line in our game vs OSU) this is the cycle we are in. Solid/good but not elite and never winning a NC nor even reaching a final four. Many on this board are content with that but I am not.

I think we should be able to beat an Ohio State or now throw Oregon in there about 30% of the time, call it once every 4 years and advance at least into the final 8 and perhaps the final 4 and beyond. Not saying every 4 years we are in the final 4 but maybe one out of eight?

When psu beats OSU then what? Will psu become the top recruiter in the b10? How did that workout for Michigan?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT