ADVERTISEMENT

House v. NCAA NIL settlement & related fallout

All but mine!
I pray you'll eventually be right. I even got out the rosary last time. No luck. :(

Every time I see your handle, it reminds me that it's been 40+ year since I was there. They were popular then but you could easily get in the door. I can't imagine what that place is like now. I imagine a space 2-3 times the size as it was in 1982 with a ton more variety. Still in same place?

Last time I was on campus was for PA Special Olympics maybe 25 years ago. And no, I was not a participant. My wife took several people there. I was her recreational project but I wasn't good enough to go as an athlete.

Last edited:
Reactions: tikk10
I pray you'll eventually be right. I even got out the rosary last time. No luck. :(

Every time I see your handle, it reminds me that it's been 40+ year since I was there. They were popular then but you could easily get in the door. I can't imagine what that place is like now. I imagine a space 2-3 times the size as it was in 1982 with a ton more variety. Still in same place?

Last time I was on campus was for PA Special Olympics maybe 25 years ago. And no, I was not a participant. My wife took several people there. I was her recreational project but I wasn't good enough to go as an athlete.
It's one block closer to Beaver Stadium. Corner of Bigler and Curtin Rd. It use to be a wide open parking lot. The Natatorium is catty-corner from the Creamery. It's definitely bigger.

The covid years were a real sht show. I usually buy ½ gallons, and there's a separate line for that. The powers to be wanted you to wait your turn in the cone line. It's good icecream, but it comes with a high price tag now.

Maybe I will. Or maybe I'll stick around and hope it gets better.
Less interesting is not the same as NOT interesting... If it was not interesting I would be foolish to spend my time and money on it.

I definitely will not be funding it as much as I have in the past nor at the level I had planned to in the future. Not that I expect anyone outside of my household to notice any change in my behavior.
Good for you. Thanks for the update. We all need to hear constantly about how everyone feels more or less about the state of college sports.

You must be a football guy lol.
Football and sports.... I get my business stuff from Business Insider, Forbes, Zacks and trade publications like OilPrice.com etc. I come here to read about PSU sports only. For the business of sports... I go elsewhere. It's a time and quality management fetish I have.

Football and sports.... I get my business stuff from Business Insider, Forbes, Zacks and trade publications like OilPrice.com etc. I come here to read about PSU sports only. For the business of sports... I go elsewhere. It's a time and quality management fetish I have.
I get compartmentalization of thought.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Good for you. Thanks for the update. We all need to hear constantly about how everyone feels more or less about the state of college sports.
You know that is why these boards exist... to share news, ideas, thoughts, opinions, etc.

I'm sure you have expressed yours in a post or two.

What makes yours any different than anyone else's?

Last edited:
You know that is why these boards exist... to share news, ideas, thoughts, opinions, etc.

I'm sure you have expressed yours in a post or two.

What makes yours any different than anyone else's?
I got confused by the title of this board. Football ...
Not NCAA politics board, congressional over site board, my cousin that played jr high football and his wife had a baby board. Richie, could you change the board name to be the everything including football board. I won't get so confused that way.

Coming to an NCAA football stadium near you, hyper-inflation of ticket prices even for students. Just watch

PSU base season tickets have increased from $224 to $693 over the past 20 seasons. Let’s be quiet about it because that makes our wrestling season tickets look like an unbelievable bargain. I was up in State College for a few days this summer and caught up with some fellows who donate to PSU because they love the place. Based on what I heard, the cocktail circuit is in full bloom with NIL activity. Access to athletes very much helps squeeze money out of the mahogany. I also talked with a university fund raiser that told me that the sucking sound we hear is money that used to go to academic scholarship's and capital
Projects are being vacuumed into the NIL combine. My main point being here that athletics is ramping up its finances in a serious way (reference what’s happening at tOSU) and that this is going to result in “unanticipated consequences” to other aspects of the University. The essential nature of the University as we know it is changing. As media empires like ABC, CBS, and NBC transitioned 25 years ago from news organizations to entertainment companies …… so too will universities transition largely to an “entertainment model”.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
What? Now I do agree that not everyone needs a 4 year degree and there are a decent amount of kids going to school for useless degrees, but to say employers don't care about it is just wrong. Unless you go into the trades(which more people should do) most well paying careers still require a 4 year degree.
The generation now and before got feed that line of BS ( you need a degree), now we have 2 generations of people with degrees that don’t apply to what a lot are doing and being hand feed on the job for multiple yrs just to do their job on a basic level. I would guess half the kids 🧒 n college now do not get into a job that directly correlates to their degree.

Reactions: Ski
The generation now and before got feed that line of BS ( you need a degree), now we have 2 generations of people with degrees that don’t apply to what a lot are doing and being hand feed on the job for multiple yrs just to do their job on a basic level. I would guess half the kids 🧒 n college now do not get into a job that directly correlates to their degree.
https://www.cbsnews.com/moneywatch?ftag=CNM-16-10abg0d

"More than half of Americans who earned college diplomas find themselves working in jobs that don't require a bachelor's degree or utilize the skills acquired in obtaining one. What's worse, they can get stuck there for the entirety of their careers."

I got confused by the title of this board. Football ...
Not NCAA politics board, congressional over site board, my cousin that played jr high football and his wife had a baby board. Richie, could you change the board name to be the everything including football board. I won't get so confused that way.
Well, this is the wrestling forum and we mostly talk about bike racing. it's easy to get confused.

Reactions: WEAREPSU_LI

"More than half of Americans who earned college diplomas find themselves working in jobs that don't require a bachelor's degree or utilize the skills acquired in obtaining one. What's worse, they can get stuck there for the entirety of their careers."
Psalm 1 - I know someone who got his degree at UCSD which is a good school. After graduating, he decided to go into plumbing and is doing very well for a guy his age. I’m not sure what prompted him to go that route rather than choosing a career path that requires a college degree, but overall, I think he made a smart choice. He likes the work and he’s able to take good care of his family.

Psalm 1 - I know someone who got his degree at UCSD which is a good school. After graduating, he decided to go into plumbing and is doing very well for a guy his age. I’m not sure what prompted him to go that route rather than choosing a career path that requires a college degree, but overall, I think he made a smart choice. He likes the work and he’s able to take good care of his family

Psalm 1 - I know someone who got his degree at UCSD which is a good school. After graduating, he decided to go into plumbing and is doing very well for a guy his age. I’m not sure what prompted him to go that route rather than choosing a career path that requires a college degree, but overall, I think he made a smart choice. He likes the work and he’s able to take good care of his family.
I have an engineering degree and an MBA. (Yep, not evidenced by most of my posts :))

I work in high tech and have had my job under constant threat of workforce reduction for the past 20 years. The work is high pace, high demand, and high stress. Of the 10 guys in my work Fantasy Football league from the 2000 era, I am the sole survivor still at the company, nearly all left involuntarily.

When I hired we had profit sharing, 2 shares for 1 employee stock purchase, a retirement plan, generous stock grants and options, bonus, retiree medical, and the list goes on... Today, I have my 401k and that is it for retirement. I haven't had a raise in 3 years, but we still can earn bonus and some limited grants. Cascading CEOs eliminated virtually every really nice perk. Retirement is 67 or later for me.

1-2 days a month during the summer I take a weekday off to golfing. The courses are chock full of state workers, cops, firemen all retired at 50 with 80-90% pay. Some on their second career laughing all the way to the bank. Almost all retired cops are on stress related disability tax free retirement. I see a fair amount of tradesmen - electricians, plumbers, ... One thing they all seen to have in common? They are happy and have virtually no real stress.

My advice for kids today. Seriously consider not going to college if you have a vision for your future in one of the trades or entrepreneurship, and if you do go, take your time and work while going, and avoid accumulating any debt. Student loans are for suckers and the impatient, and a poor ROI especially in the arts and humanities.

Had I the option to do it all over again, knowing what I know now. Pass on the MBA, and get a public sector job with a retirement plan (that isn't going bankrupt :) ) leveraging my engineering degree.

Psalm 1 - I know someone who got his degree at UCSD which is a good school. After graduating, he decided to go into plumbing and is doing very well for a guy his age. I’m not sure what prompted him to go that route rather than choosing a career path that requires a college degree, but overall, I think he made a smart choice. He likes the work and he’s able to take good care of his family
Mike Rowe has been beating this drum for years now. For those with a good work ethic there are well paying blue collar jobs out there. UCSD is a highly rated school, but it does sound like your friend made a good decision for himself. I know you have to be bright to get accepted into UCSD, but my police interactions with some of those students made me question their common sense!

I have an engineering degree and an MBA. (Yep, not evidenced by most of my posts :))

I work in high tech and have had my job under constant threat of workforce reduction for the past 20 years. The work is high pace, high demand, and high stress. Of the 10 guys in my work Fantasy Football league from the 2000 era, I am the sole survivor still at the company, nearly all left involuntarily.

When I hired we had profit sharing, 2 shares for 1 employee stock purchase, a retirement plan, generous stock grants and options, bonus, retiree medical, and the list goes on... Today, I have my 401k and that is it for retirement. I haven't had a raise in 3 years, but we still can earn bonus and some limited grants. Cascading CEOs eliminated virtually every really nice perk. Retirement is 67 or later for me.

1-2 days a month during the summer I take a weekday off to golfing. The courses are chock full of state workers, cops, firemen all retired at 50 with 80-90% pay. Some on their second career laughing all the way to the bank. Almost all retired cops are on stress related disability tax free retirement. I see a fair amount of tradesmen - electricians, plumbers, ... One thing they all seen to have in common? They are happy and have virtually no real stress.

My advice for kids today. Seriously consider not going to college if you have a vision for your future in one of the trades or entrepreneurship, and if you do go, take your time and work while going, and avoid accumulating any debt. Student loans are for suckers and the impatient, and a poor ROI especially in the arts and humanities.

Had I the option to do it all over again, knowing what I know now. Pass on the MBA, and get a public sector job with a retirement plan (that isn't going bankrupt :) ) leveraging my engineering degree.
This is good advice.
Even the government retirement plans are getting changed. As an example in PA the state and school pensions for people hired 2 or 3 years ago are basically half of the benefit that they once were. Still a little better than 401k, but not like the 80-90% retirement that it once was. (For better or worse).

w

When it comes to working for the Federal Government, you guys have no idea about the amount of waste. My brother in law works as a computer programmer for a Federal agency in DC, first he has no employee's under him, yet he is making more than the head of the IT Department at the large company I just retired from. His department is so over staffed that the 40 employees, in his department, take all of one hour each day to get their work work done. There are no set rules show up at 9am or 11am whatever, leave at whatever time you like or quote work from home at anytime. Four years ago he spend the entire summer overseeing workers putting in a pool for him and during the entire 3 months, never went once to work or did anything work related while at home. And this is just the tip of the iceberg on stories I could tell you on the topic.
Ditto - same deal with a family member. Works from home for about 2-3 hours and works his farm all afternoon. He’s bad 3 bosses in the last 2 years and has never met is current boss in person. On the other hand, he claims his performance appraisal rates him as excellent. Of course there are many hard working federal ee’s, but, there’s a lot of hanky banky too.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
That's fair, I knew a lot of kids, mostly from wealthy families, that were pretty much only at college for the experience. I washed dishes all through college, which wasn't anywhere close to enough to make a dent on my school expenses mostly just spending money for while I lived there, and took out loans for the rest. But, I got an Enigneering degree, have a pretty comfortable salary in my early 30s especially for where I live, and get probably 10+ cold calls/emails from recruiters a week. So if I had the choice I would definitely do it over again. I book a lot of tradesmen at my job and while yeah they definitely get paid well, a lot of that can be physically demanding work. I don't want to be in my 50s sweating my ass of outside rebuilding a 400 ton chiller in July. Pretty much 100% of them complain about back problems, knee replacements, etc. It's good pay with a low cost to entry, but the wear and tear those jobs put on your body can't be ignored.

Maybe this has come up before, but under NIL can wrestlers go unattached to tourneys, with travel, etc paid for by an NIL sponsor and even wear sponsor-branded singlets?

That would seem to be well-within the spirit of NIL.

Eventually at the D1 level, the non-revenue sports that have very low attendance are going to get the axe. Sad, but a new reality with pay to play. Athletic Departments are going to make it a priority for fund football and hoops since they can make money.

At the D2 and D3 level, sports are used to bring students to campus, most paying near full freight in tuition and housing. Have 30 people on your D3 soccer team, that is close to 30 kids who would not have attended your school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT