ADVERTISEMENT

How do we punish Barron for his baldface lie about doing a review of Freeh?

it is unbelievable how little accountability there is for all of the blatant lying happening at Penn State. What's Barron's punishment? A full page CDT ad calling him out as a blatant LIAR?

Yeah. Let's blame everything on a guy who wasn't even here.

It is a real nice coda to the "Blame the Dead Guy" song.

LOL.

I really wonder about the intent of some of you goofs.

Reactions: Obliviax

LOL.

You don't think it's very disturbing that Barron promised and then reneged on a review of Freeh? He could have stayed out of the fray completely and then I wouldn't have said anything. But he chose to say he'd deliver a review and then did nothing. He's an effing liar and has no business running Penn State. Where's his honor?

it is unbelievable how little accountability there is for all of the blatant lying happening at Penn State. What's Barron's punishment? A full page CDT ad calling him out as a blatant LIAR?
He needs to be called out at every opportunity, although in the end, we all know it won't make a dimes worth of difference. Nothing short of legislative, or judicial, intervention will be sufficient to deal with the Penn State power elite.

You don't think it's very disturbing that Barron promised and then reneged on a review of Freeh? He could have stayed out of the fray completely and then I wouldn't have said anything. But he chose to say he'd deliver a review and then did nothing. He's an effing liar and has no business running Penn State. Where's his honor?
Yeah. Focus your ire on him. That'll get 'er done.

I kind of got the impression that his "not useful for decision making" comment was the result of his "review."

As hard as it is to fathom, I've wondered if he never actually read the thing before taking the job, but just assumed he knew enough from media accounts and from talking to folks he knew from his previous PSU stint (most of whom would have bought into the bad-football-culture narrative). Then when he got around to reading it he said to himself, "Holy shit! What did I get myself into..."

LOL.

Holy excrement! Barron the one who promised to review. Who would you blame, Joe Paterno?

I agree 100%. I felt the same way. The guy should have stayed neutral (if he was smart) and then when he lashed out at the alumni trustees (his bosses) that's when I was done with Barron. We know for sure where his alliances are and they aren't with the good guys unfortunately.

Yeah. Focus your ire on him. That'll get 'er done.
I don't - personally - know anyone who thinks Baron is Public Enemy #1........or even in the top 10.

I do know, though, that since he came here he has been a consistent liar and a tool of those folks who are very much in the "Top 10". That is certainly enough for me to feel that it would be a good thing for him to be held accountable.

As I have felt (and said and written) for a long time.....in the grand scheme of things Barron is a relatively insignificant, bloviating, douchebag. But just because he is "relatively insignificant" it doesn't make him any more righteous.

Reactions: richmin3
I kind of got the impression that his "not useful for decision making" comment was the result of his "review."

As hard as it is to fathom, I've wondered if he never actually read the thing before taking the job, but just assumed he knew enough from media accounts and from talking to folks he knew from his previous PSU stint (most of whom would have bought into the bad-football-culture narrative). Then when he got around to reading it he said to himself, "Holy shit! What did I get myself into..."
You're probably correct about that and it is the real reason for his "hands up" picture.

I agree 100%. I felt the same way. The guy should have stayed neutral (if he was smart) and then when he lashed out at the alumni trustees (his bosses) that's when I was done with Barron. We know for sure where his alliances are and they aren't with the good guys unfortunately.

I agree as well. Since he's been at PSU he's attacked the alumni trustees (his bosses by the way), he's ignored alumni, he flat out lied about reviewing Freeh (it's been 7 months and counting), and then he's done all he could to prevent the alumni trustees (again- his bosses) from being able to review Freeh.

Plus, let's not forget this is the president who was usually MIA when alumni comments at BoT meetings came around. He said he had another meeting to attend and then alumni (?Wensilver?) caught him talking in the hallway for over an hour instead of having a meeting.

Reactions: therod and richmin3
Make Barron stand in the corner with soap in his mouth, holding his HANDS UP...

To clarify: Are you suggesting that Barron was intentionally misleading when he made the statement about reviewing the Freeh Report (i.e. he never intended to actually conduct the review)?

The BOT has hire/fire control of him. He's not going to get out of line. It's like complaining about the price of groceries to the checkout person.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
I certainly have no reason to believe he was being honest when he said that.

Right. IMHO (so take it for what it's worth), the whole "lying" angle dilutes your point, which is a valid one. There has been very little accountability from governance &/or the President as it relates to alumni concerns, and this is yet another instance.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Right. IMHO (so take it for what it's worth), the whole "lying" angle dilutes your point, which is a valid one. There has been very little accountability from governance &/or the President as it relates to alumni concerns, and this is yet another instance.

To illustrate your point, we're still waiting on
- Transparency
- "Alumni Listening Tours"
- the "right time" for Louis Freeh to answer educated questions about his report

And now
- Barron's review of the Freeh Report

- Transparency
- the "right time" for Louis Freeh to answer educated questions about his report

And now

Yes. You clarified the total frustration quite well.

Reactions: Zenophile

There is no doubt he was lying - IMHO. NONE. If anyone EVER had any doubt, it should now be abundantly clear to a deaf dumb and blind man........seeing as how 8 months later he still "hasn't found the time".

His "announcement" that he was going to "review" was clearly done in response to the increasing pressure that the Elected Trustees were putting on the OG Scoundrels wrt access to the Freeh file. It didn't happen by accident.

The Scoundrels were running out of (increasingly ludicrous) excuses for preventing that access.....and The Bloviator's announcement was clearly (IMHO) an attempt to buy some time for the Scoundrels.

NO DOUBT IN MY MIND. I was at that BOT meeting that preceded his announcement, and IMHO it was not only clear as day - but also entirely predictable (in fact, your's truly did just that) - as to his motivations.

The monkey on the leash was just serving his Masters' needs.

There is no doubt he was lying - IMHO. NONE. If anyone EVER had any doubt, it should now be abundantly clear to a deaf dumb and blind man........seeing as how 8 months later he still "hasn't found the time".

His "announcement" that he was going to "review" was clearly done in response to the increasing pressure that the Elected Trustees were putting on the OG Scoundrels wrt access to the Freeh file. It didn't happen by accident.

The Scoundrels were running out of (increasingly ludicrous) excuses for preventing that access.....and The Bloviator's announcement was clearly (IMHO) an attempt to buy some time for the Scoundrels.

NO DOUBT IN MY MIND. I was at that BOT meeting that preceded his announcement, and IMHO it was not only clear as day - but also entirely predictable (in fact, your's truly did just that) - as to his motivations.

The monkey on the leash was just serving his Masters' needs.

Right. Here's how that conversation goes:
-Alumni: "You were lying!"
-BoT/Barron: "No, we weren't!"
-Alumni: "Yes, you were!"
Stir and repeat.

The lack of accountability conversation has legs.

He needs to be called out at every opportunity, although in the end, we all know it won't make a dimes worth of difference. Nothing short of legislative, or judicial, intervention will be sufficient to deal with the Penn State power elite.
Make Barron stand in the corner with soap in his mouth, holding his HANDS UP...

I'd say the soap should go elsewhere ..... but he might be into that ...... "not that there is anything wrong with that"!

Right. Here's how that conversation goes:
-Alumni: "You were lying!"
-BoT/Barron: "No, we weren't!"
-Alumni: "Yes, you were!"
Stir and repeat.

The lack of accountability conversation has legs.

Well....Zen.....if he said what he meant (and meant what he said):

How do you go from his statement, which was issued on Friday, November 15th 2014, within an HOUR after the conclusion of the most contentious BOT meeting ever - with the Elected Trustees vocally standing up for their rights/duties/obligations to review the Freeh File - after which Barron was caucusing with the leaders of the OG Scoundrels),

"I informed the University’s Board of Trustees that I will conduct a thorough review of the Freeh Report and supporting materials produced during the course of the investigation. The contents of the report have led to questions by some in the Penn State community. I do not want people to believe that Penn State is hiding something. I feel strongly about this. For this important reason, and since I was not here during its completion, I will conduct my own review. There is considerable documentation to analyze, but I assured the Board I would move with all deliberate speed.”

To:

EIGHT MONTHS of crickets....and repeated statements that this review he "felt strongly about" is neither important or relevant.

Sure, he wasn't lying. :)

And water isn't wet.

Reactions: ChiTownLion

Let's be fair to Barron. He did say the Freeh Report was not useful for decision-making purposes, which is a polite way of saying it is not worth the paper it is written on. Rather than call him a liar in the CDT, use his words to show that he denounced the Freeh Report (by implication) as defective, incompetent, or even worse.

To: President Eric Barron (15 November 2014)
201 Old Main
University Park, PA 16802
Certified mail 7013 0600 0001 0710 2239

cc: alumni Trustees

Subject: Freeh Report
Dear President Barron,

I read that you plan to review the Freeh Report, and inform the Board of Trustees of any problems you find in it. There is, however, no need to perform an extensive review of the interviews, E-mails, and so on. All one needs to do is read Mr. Freeh's own report, along with his inflammatory press release in which he accused Penn State administrators of covering up for Jerry Sandusky, and evaluate Freeh's words on their own merit. The enclosure, which was sent to the Board in October, covers much of the necessary work.

Louis Freeh has a track record of questionable workmanship, as shown by his investigations for FIFA and Wynn Resorts.[1] "The review by [Michael] Chertoff found that Freeh’s law firm 'viewed itself as an advocate first and an impartial investigator second' in preparing the report. Freeh and his colleagues 'cherry-picked evidence and stretched to reach conclusions that would be helpful to the Wynn Resorts Board,' according to today’s statement."

Freeh's investigation of Penn State comes across the same way, and State Senator Corman laid it out openly.[2] “It really appears that there was a predetermined outcome and they [Louis Freeh and the NCAA] were just working to make that happen."

If this were ever proven beyond a reasonable doubt, it would mean that Freeh took more than $6 million of Penn State's money to deliver a phony report, and that the controlling majority of Penn State's Trustees stood by and let it happen. For the time being, however, the enclosure contains more than enough information to question the report's findings.

Regards,

William A. Levinson B.S. '78

[1] http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-22/okada-review-finds-wynn-resorts-probe-deeply-flawed-.html

[2] http://www.wjactv.com/news/features...-reacts-new-documents-ncaa-lawsuit-4265.shtml

The E-mail included a .pdf attachment with extensive detail on the problems with Lying Louie's "workmanship."

To: President Eric Barron (15 November 2014)
201 Old Main
University Park, PA 16802
Certified mail 7013 0600 0001 0710 2239

cc: alumni Trustees

Subject: Freeh Report
Dear President Barron,

I read that you plan to review the Freeh Report, and inform the Board of Trustees of any problems you find in it. There is, however, no need to perform an extensive review of the interviews, E-mails, and so on. All one needs to do is read Mr. Freeh's own report, along with his inflammatory press release in which he accused Penn State administrators of covering up for Jerry Sandusky, and evaluate Freeh's words on their own merit. The enclosure, which was sent to the Board in October, covers much of the necessary work.

Louis Freeh has a track record of questionable workmanship, as shown by his investigations for FIFA and Wynn Resorts.[1] "The review by [Michael] Chertoff found that Freeh’s law firm 'viewed itself as an advocate first and an impartial investigator second' in preparing the report. Freeh and his colleagues 'cherry-picked evidence and stretched to reach conclusions that would be helpful to the Wynn Resorts Board,' according to today’s statement."

Freeh's investigation of Penn State comes across the same way, and State Senator Corman laid it out openly.[2] “It really appears that there was a predetermined outcome and they [Louis Freeh and the NCAA] were just working to make that happen."

He's hiding in his hole, like the rat he is.

If this were ever proven beyond a reasonable doubt, it would mean that Freeh took more than $6 million of Penn State's money to deliver a phony report, and that the controlling majority of Penn State's Trustees stood by and let it happen. For the time being, however, the enclosure contains more than enough information to question the report's findings.

Regards,

William A. Levinson B.S. '78

He's hiding in his hole, like the rat he is.

[1] http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-22/okada-review-finds-wynn-resorts-probe-deeply-flawed-.html

[2] http://www.wjactv.com/news/features...-reacts-new-documents-ncaa-lawsuit-4265.shtml

The E-mail included a .pdf attachment with extensive detail on the problems with Lying Louie's "workmanship."

Barron is hiding in his gopher hole, like the ground rat he is.

It's pretty clear that Barron spoke out of turn when he promised to review the Freeh Report and report his conclusions to the public. I suspect he was subsequently told by Masser et al to chill or he was told by Stephen Dunham that if he (Barron) declared the Freeh Report to be a fraud it would lead to lawsuits against Penn State and if he declared the Freeh Report to be mostly accurate it would lead to increased civil liability for Penn State.

It is not Barron's job to (a) reverse the Scandal or (b) reform the BoT.

It's pretty clear that Barron spoke out of turn when he promised to review the Freeh Report and report his conclusions to the public. I suspect he was subsequently told by Masser et al to chill or he was told by Stephen Dunham that if he (Barron) declared the Freeh Report to be a fraud it would lead to lawsuits against Penn State and if he declared the Freeh Report to be mostly accurate it would lead to increased civil liability for Penn State.

It is Barron's job to explain his sorry ass decision making and duplicity. If he effed up and spoke out of turn, then apologize and say why. Where's the accountability? He's an ass.

Reactions: tgar

+1

I agree with Evan above but I also agree with PennSt8er, Barron, owes everyone an explanation. He doesn't have to give one but he owes one. He owns it.

- Transparency

And now

This constitutes a pattern, doesn't it?

Close......not really.

th

Quite the opposite, actually. Barron's "promise" was clearly done at the BEHEST of the Scoundrels (for God's sake man - it was a WRITTEN statement issued AFTER he caucused with the Scoundrels immediately after the BOT meeting).....to try and buy them some time, and take off some of the pressure from the Elected Trustees demands.

Given the scenario, the timing, the interactions leading to the "promise"......not to mention the actions since the "promise"......that much should be clear to Stevie Wonder.

th
th

"Even I can see through the Bloviator's Bullshit!" "Damn!"

But if you want to believe the opposite......knock yourself out.

th

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT