ADVERTISEMENT

How does the NW story impact alumni that are active in the NFL?

SoParkLion

Sep 23, 2001
If they are suspected of participating in the alleged activities they may face backlash at some level.
Assuming this is even a story people remember in a week. The media isn't going to give it much attention and who knows if there's even anything truly here. Stories only reach that level if interest is strong enough. 18-22 year olds hazing each other isn't a story people care about long term unless someone dies and even then it goes relatively fast.

Assuming this is even a story people remember in a week. The media isn't going to give it much attention and who knows if there's even anything truly here. Stories only reach that level if interest is strong enough. 18-22 year olds hazing each other isn't a story people care about long term unless someone dies and even then it goes relatively fast.
I was just explaining the OP. I don’t pretend to know how it will play out.

Fitz just hired a very powerful attorney. His statement was that the investigation cleared him and they reached an agreement for two weeks suspension for not knowing it went on. Nothing changed but then the university fired him. He’s filling a suit against NW

Fitz just hired a very powerful attorney. His statement was that the investigation cleared him and they reached an agreement for two weeks suspension for not knowing it went on. Nothing changed but then the university fired him. He’s filling a suit against NW
And NW President claiming it was ultimately “ his” decision… not a Lawyer but I suspect Fitz Attorney ready to jump all over one man making the call to fire..after he also gave him 2 week suspension…

And NW President claiming it was ultimately “ his” decision… not a Lawyer but I suspect Fitz Attorney ready to jump all over one man making the call to fire..after he also gave him 2 week suspension…
Guns drawn.

So what. He's done.

He ain't getting his job back

One would assume this is now a chess game.. President had nothing to really lose by “ firing” Fitz.. he was going to get paid out one way or another.. maybe Fitz does not get the whole amount $$$? But the President tries and save face by announcing his termination… his decision.. northwestern “ standards “ are upheld as they have a zero tolerance policy for this kind of behavior.. it’s the racist accusations I’m sure that turned things around over the weekend,,.no way you come back from that…

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
100%. It’s all about making sure he gets paid out..
he's trying to clear his name It isn't about coaching at NW. Not only the hazing but now players are saying it was a racist culture. (surprise!) I don't know how you can be a coach of any large program and be racist but there it is.

IMHO, this is bigger than his position at NW. And I think he probably wants to coach someplace else at some point.

Honestly, who cares? What is going to happen to the NFL players that at one time played for northwestern? Nothing!
Willie NFL conducting inquiry? No! Will they be called into an investigation by anybody but northwestern? I highly doubt it! Anybody think that there will be an investigation by the non-existent NCAA? I don't.

Reactions: psuno1
My wife told me that the NW President also teaches at the Northwestern Law School. Tells me all I need to know about how this went down.

he's trying to clear his name It isn't about coaching at NW. Not only the hazing but now players are saying it was a racist culture. (surprise!) I don't know how you can be a coach of any large program and be racist but there it is.

IMHO, this is bigger than his position at NW. And I think he probably wants to coach someplace else at some point.
Isn’t everything racist nowadays?

Reactions: LeatherHelmets

Yes, the lawsuit against NW is not about getting his job back, obviously, but about getting some sort of financial compensation for them breaking the recent agreement but more important to try to rehab his rep and allow him to be able to pursue other employment opportunities. I have no opinion if his case is justified, but pursuing this line of action makes sense.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
He's done at NW but maybe he can pile on more money to the pile of cash he has already earned there through litigation.

He knew about this. These players are not making it all up and that is why he was rightfully canned. Now he wants to save face to get another gig. Good luck with trying to change the narrative now.

He's done at NW but maybe he can pile on more money to the pile of cash he has already earned there through litigation.

He knew about this. These players are not making it all up and that is why he was rightfully canned. Now he wants to save face to get another gig. Good luck with trying to change the narrative now.
I don't think he knew about it. Lots of players coming out saying that they've never seen or heard of any hazing.

Second point, the media like to imply things. He may have well known that the upperclass persons may have make the rookies get their equipment, run laps or do other menial tasks. that is very, VERY common. The fireable offenses are the naked shower (what team doesn't shower naked?) and the naked center snap (if that ever happened). The media confirms the little stuff then makes it seem like the wild accusations are correct. And I don't buy the "racist" stuff. The quotes I read seemed like the same ones we heard at Iowa. "they made us dress like white people and speak perfect English."

Sorry, not buying it.

I don't think he knew about it. Lots of players coming out saying that they've never seen or heard of any hazing.

Second point, the media like to imply things. He may have well known that the upperclass persons may have make the rookies get their equipment, run laps or do other menial tasks. that is very, VERY common. The fireable offenses are the naked shower (what team doesn't shower naked?) and the naked center snap (if that ever happened). The media confirms the little stuff then makes it seem like the wild accusations are correct. And I don't buy the "racist" stuff. The quotes I read seemed like the same ones we heard at Iowa. "they made us dress like white people and speak perfect English."

Sorry, not buying it.
I think he is more responsible than you do. Probably as usual the truth is somewhere in the middle. No, he was not promoting segregation and blatant racism but he knew about suspect hazing like crap going on and let it happen. He is NOT squeaky clean as he wanted to convey to the public. Nevertheless he's done. He needs to desperately save face to find another gig.

I think he is more responsible than you do. Probably as usual the truth is somewhere in the middle. No, he was not promoting segregation and blatant racism but he knew about suspect hazing like crap going on and let it happen. He is NOT squeaky clean as he wanted to convey to the public. Nevertheless he's done. He needs to desperately save face to find another gig.
well, you have to define "suspected hazing". Is that making the rookies carry the senior's equipment? Is that the rookies having to run extra sprints? Don't forget, due to NCAA limitations on practice time, a ton of "voluntary" practice time CANNOT be attended by coaches. And why would you put the DC, who would clearly be as involved at Fitz, interim head coach?

I suspect that there was minor hazing going on, which is done everywhere. That was used to suggest that there were racial and sexual issues. But these have not been confirmed (other than black players having to wear vineyard vines or some such crap).

Isn’t everything racist nowadays?
Lol... It wasn't before now. Lol
An asshole coach in my highschool told black players they had to take a shower in the spray off of the white players and coaches showers after each game. 1966..Pennsylvania High School.

I witnessed other acts far worse than of racist hate as a kid growing up in and around the Burgh in the 50's and 70's.

Weak dishonest people like you post this 💩 ... keep 😭... 🥱!

• Angry
Reactions: Obliviax
well, you have to define "suspected hazing". Is that making the rookies carry the senior's equipment? Is that the rookies having to run extra sprints? Don't forget, due to NCAA limitations on practice time, a ton of "voluntary" practice time CANNOT be attended by coaches. And why would you put the DC, who would clearly be as involved at Fitz, interim head coach?

I suspect that there was minor hazing going on, which is done everywhere. That was used to suggest that there were racial and sexual issues. But these have not been confirmed (other than black players having to wear vineyard vines or some such crap).
There were worse things going on that will come out. It is not all made up out of the blue. This DC will get canned soon enough. They need a warm body at this point, 4 weeks before preseason.

Lol... It wasn't before now. Lol
An asshole coach in my highschool told black players they had to take a shower in the spray off of the white players and coaches showers after each game. 1966..Pennsylvania High School.

I witnessed other acts far worse than of racist hate as a kid growing up in and around the Burgh in the 50's and 70's.

Weak dishonest people like you post this 💩 ... keep 😭... 🥱!
Sadly, things were different then. My wife started watching the TV show "Boston Legal" again. James Spader, William Shatner, Candice Bergain and many others. It was filmed in 2004-2008. It is so sexist in the office Spader and Shatner (along with Mark Valley) would have been sued into the cold ages. When hit on, the women just smile and pretend to like it.

Sadly, things were different then. My wife started watching the TV show "Boston Legal" again. James Spader, William Shatner, Candice Bergain and many others. It was filmed in 2004-2008. It is so sexist in the office Spader and Shatner (along with Mark Valley) would have been sued into the cold ages. When hit on, the women just smile and pretend to like it.
You know what happened to that a-hole coach...

About half the team walked out and never returned. We got seemingly endless harassing calls from the other coaches begging us to come back. My father got so pissed he grabbed the phone out of my hand on what unsurprisingly turned out to be the last call to our house.

Dad in his no nonsense, direct way, said to my position coach. "Where there no adult men in the room except for the players that left the team? When any coach can answer that question with yes, they may call my son here again."

After which he directly hung up.

A handful of players reportedly considering the portal, many of them starters.

Yes, the lawsuit against NW is not about getting his job back, obviously, but about getting some sort of financial compensation for them breaking the recent agreement but more important to try to rehab his rep and allow him to be able to pursue other employment opportunities. I have no opinion if his case is justified, but pursuing this line of action makes sense.

Actually, a big $$$ part of the lawsuit will be "Reputational Damage" as NW's own 6-week investigation says they uncovered no evidence that Fitzgerald knew anything about the hazing, had an agreement with Fitzgerald that a 2-week Unpaid Suspension was the appropriate sanction with a guarantee that no other action would be taken and the President stated no new evidence had been found in his Monday Statement firing Fitgerald.

Those saying this is only about the payout of his contract are very incorrect.

The six months study that the University completed said he didn't know about it. Two weeks later, with no additional evidence, he was fired.

It was simply a CYA by the President of the University. This is especially in light of the fact that their baseball coach is also in trouble. If the problem is systematic, not limited to one coach, the problem has to be the bosses. Yet, the bosses don't want to take the fall. So they hope to sacrifice a lamb on the alter of ESPN.

Reactions: green2623
The six months study that the University completed said he didn't know about it. Two weeks later, with no additional evidence, he was fired.

It was simply a CYA by the President of the University. This is especially in light of the fact that their baseball coach is also in trouble. If the problem is systematic, not limited to one coach, the problem has to be the bosses. Yet, the bosses don't want to take the fall. So they hope to sacrifice a lamb on the alter of ESPN.
It is possible/probable the law firm or university did a piss poor job investigating. Everyone clams up, no written correspondence. Not surprising. Again you need to believe all these people are coming out and are lying and/or completely exaggerating everything. Seems far fetched. If there is smoke there is fire.

The fact the baseball coach is in trouble does not make Fitz any less guilty. Yeah, seems like a bad hire and I would say the AD is accountable. I don't see the president of the university being responsible for hazing crap going on in the football program. I guess you could go there but then do you also can the Prez because the law school has dropped 5 spots in the rankings over 3 years? What if the janitor forgot to mop the floor and someone slipped on dirt and is suing? You can blame him/her for everything.

It is possible/probable the law firm or university did a piss poor job investigating. Everyone clams up, no written correspondence. Not surprising. Again you need to believe all these people are coming out and are lying and/or completely exaggerating everything. Seems far fetched. If there is smoke there is fire.

The fact the baseball coach is in trouble does not make Fitz any less guilty. Yeah, seems like a bad hire and I would say the AD is accountable. I don't see the president of the university being responsible for hazing crap going on in the football program. I guess you could go there but then do you also can the Prez because the law school has dropped 5 spots in the rankings over 3 years? What if the janitor forgot to mop the floor and someone slipped on dirt and is suing? You can blame him/her for everything.
Baseball coach was just fired. Who is at the top, over the coaches? AD and president. If they knew it should have known they should be fired

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT