ADVERTISEMENT

How I Left the Liberal Bubble and Learned to Love the Right

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
To my leftwing friends here... Being a democrat is not like being gay. You do have a choice. Read and learn......

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-i-left-the-liberal-bubble-and-learned-to-love-the-right

In 2015, Ken Stern, the former CEO of NPR and a lifelong Democrat, left his liberal Washington, D.C., neighborhood, and over the course of more than a year, sought out Republicans across the country: in churches, on pig hunts, at Trump rallies, NASCAR races, and even on Steve Bannon’s radio show.

Stern believed, as Atticus Finch said in To Kill a Mockingbird, “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.” And when he did, he found fellow Americans whose values didn’t differ all that much from his own and, even where there was real disagreement, on things like guns, abortion, religion, and healthcare, the divide isn’t nearly as deep as we are led to believe.

The anger is very real, but we are more inflamed on the issues then we are divided.

Stern believes that you can break down that divide with a little listening, and a little human contact. He writes about what he found and how it changed him in Republican Like Me: How I Left the Liberal Bubble and Learned to Love the Right.

Reactions: mtnlion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News