ADVERTISEMENT

How many of you have attended a musical event at the Eisenhower Auditorium?

Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

Jun 9, 2002
I attended an event by The Preservation Jazz Band there shortly after returning to PSU after the service. It was electrifying.

Penn State was way more than Happy Valley Party City to me. I befriended several terrific football players there, as my time at University Park was split into two parts pre Navy and post Navy. Mike Reid, Greg Murphy, Jimmy Cephalo and Franco Harris were some of the players I spent time with. All were very different but interesting people. Franco even drove me to morning classes when my old Galaxy 500 needed CPR for weeks.

But Football was just a part of the PSU experience. Because of where it is located, I could see a concert by Jefferson Starship there, The Preservation Jazz Band, Watch great sports, hike Mount Nittany, trout fish, get a bus trip to NYC, socialize with graduate students from Thailand, China, Great Britain and jump in a car for a short ride to ski slopes in NY. On weekends I could go to Philly or the Burgh with my friends and take breaks off with one of my pros and his son doing canoe portage. Sitting up at night gazing through the telescope through an uninterrupted atmosphere..And more...

What has troubled me over many decades was the PSU administrators outspoken attitude that no one would want to come to PSU from the cities or large suburbs... I have often thought ...how did they not know the PSU I experienced, knew and cherished. I know much of that attitude has changed... but I think a bit of it still lingers in the minds of our BOT.

My wife and I have travelled far and wide to Manheim Steamroller and Tran Siberian Orchestra... we have found them to be terrific.
My youngest son and I saw Trans Siberian and Celtic Woman several times before he passed. Those performances and his love of those events are etched in my mind forever.

Reactions: therod and GSPMax
My wife and I have travelled far and wide to Manheim Steamroller and Tran Siberian Orchestra... we have found them to be terrific.
My youngest son and I saw Trans Siberian and Celtic Woman several times before he passed. Those performances and his love of those events are etched in my mind forever.
I check their schedule every fall to see if they will be performing somewhere near.

Chuck Mangione back in the late 70’s. Wanted to see the Kinks, but I had class and soon as class was over, they were already completely sold out. Last time I believe there was a rock concert there.

I attended an event by The Preservation Jazz Band there shortly after returning to PSU after the service. It was electrifying.

Penn State was way more than Happy Valley Party City to me. I befriended several terrific football players there, as my time at University Park was split into two parts pre Navy and post Navy. Mike Reid, Greg Murphy, Jimmy Cephalo and Franco Harris were some of the players I spent time with. All were very different but interesting people. Franco even drove me to morning classes when my old Galaxy 500 needed CPR for weeks.

But Football was just a part of the PSU experience. Because of where it is located, I could see a concert by Jefferson Starship there, The Preservation Jazz Band, Watch great sports, hike Mount Nittany, trout fish, get a bus trip to NYC, socialize with graduate students from Thailand, China, Great Britain and jump in a car for a short ride to ski slopes in NY. On weekends I could go to Philly or the Burgh with my friends and take breaks off with one of my pros and his son doing canoe portage. Sitting up at night gazing through the telescope through an uninterrupted atmosphere..And more...

What has troubled me over many decades was the PSU administrators outspoken attitude that no one would want to come to PSU from the cities or large suburbs... I have often thought ...how did they not know the PSU I experienced, knew and cherished. I know much of that attitude has changed... but I think a bit of it still lingers in the minds of our BOT.
Graham Nash back in the 80s

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Alison Krauss and Union Station the first show. I think they played there again some years later. Chick Corea and Carlin back in the late 80's. Saw Band-0-Rama once too. Good venue and good acoustics.

Used to work as many events there as I could when I was a freshman. Mostly musicals... Sometimes it was nice to work for the University Police and get paid to go to things like that

Alison Krauss and Union Station the first show. I think they played there again some years later. Chick Corea and Carlin back in the late 80's. Saw Band-0-Rama once too. Good venue and good acoustics.
I saw Carlin in Rec Hall right after he was hospitalized. Mid performance he stopped a skit saying jumping in and out of characters caused him to have neurosis..He also commented on the smoke clouds rolling on to the stage from the audience. Saying, I now know why they call it Happy Valley and that it was getting hard to breath up there. The stage in about a 5-10 minute span was covered with joints tossed from the crowd. He laughed his ass off.

I've seen dozens of musical events at Eisenhower. My favorite was Stephen Stills when he was there supporting Toby Moffett.

Last edited:
I saw Carlin in Rec Hall right after he was hospitalized. Mid performance he stopped a skit saying jumping in and out of characters caused him to have neurosis..He also commented on the smoke clouds rolling on to the stage from the audience. Saying, I now know why they call it Happy Valley and that it was getting hard to breath up there. The stage in about a 5-10 minute span was covered with joints tossed from the crowd. He laughed his ass off.
Jefferson Airplane in Rec Hall in 72 or so. A bunch of us didn't have tickets but after the show started, we just sort of walked in. Don't remember much of that night. Not a good venue for a concert.

Love the plays around the Holidays.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT