ADVERTISEMENT

I don't understand

PhillipintheValley

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I am constantly amazed at people who take this all so lightly, so easily setting aside the safety concerns that are legitimate. People can downplay the seriousness of this pandemic, but I'm tired of dancing around it. It is sheer ignorance not to take it seriously. It is folly. It is easy for people to downplay the significance and the seriousness of this if you're not responsible for the well being and safety of a community. Yes people the age of the typical college students, especially healthy and fit athletes have a small chance of dying from CV-19. But they don't live in a bubble that prevents them from spreading it to more vulnerable populations. They exist in a larger community and can endanger family, friends, coaches, faculty, staff, and other people that are more likely to suffer adverse consequences if they contract CV-19.

Today, we surpassed a full Beaver Stadium of people who have passed in this country because of this pandemic and yet some treat it as if it is nothing. And that's with social distancing in place. Imagine what it would have been without those measures. That's what we are facing in the fall. It has not and will not go away until we have a vaccine or treatment. We are benefiting from the warmer weather now, and that's great. I agree that we can't be shut down forever. I'm not advocating for that. But to poo poo legitimate safety measures being put in place to allow this program and this country to reopen, to say it is no big deal, is stupidity. People here claim to be Penn State fans. Well, all the people at Penn State, our great faculty and researchers, who know wtf their talking about are telling us what we need to do to reopen safely, and limit as much as possible, potential adverse consequences. We should listen to them.

If you're truly a fan of Penn State football, think about his. The current guidance if you have a PUI (person under investigation - suspected of or eventually confirmed to have CV-19) is that all people in close contact with that person must quarantine for 14 days. What would happen to this team if, I don't know, Sean Clifford became a PUI during the season? He would have to quarantine. All those in close contact with him (those who have been within 6 feet of him for more than 15 minutes) also have to quarantine for 14 days. How many coaches and players would that be? Ten, twenty, fifty? Would Penn State be able to field a team? Then, each time another person in the program becomes a PUI, you go through the same process. There goes the season? So even if you foolishly think this is all blown out of proportion, even if you think it is just the flu, if you care about Penn State and/or Penn State football, you should want the University and the football program to take every reasonable precaution so that we can have a season.

Penn State wants to reopen. I'm certain of it and have said so previously. My personal opinion is that Dr. Barron has already decided that and the decision on the 15th is more about how we do it and not if we do it. The only way we don't, is if he receives information that puts into question the University's ability to do it safely. I don't expect that to be the case. That's why we are doing this in a thoughtful and cautious way - to ensure we can reopen and stay open. One more thing. I play a small part in making sure Penn State can reopen. If any of you have similar responsibility for the safety and welfare of others, whether that be employees, students or customers, think what will happen to your business if you were to take this lightly, not exercise due diligence, and someone gets sick or dies on your watch. How would you feel if this responsibility fell onto your shoulders?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News