ADVERTISEMENT

I wonder if Benedict Umeh took note of Stanford's loss to FSC Sacramento State?

19333lion

Jan 30, 2016
The Hornets stung Stanford. Oh well, he can take solace in the fact that Stanford's debate team would likely handle the Hornets with ease.

Still have my fingers crossed that he'll see a bright future at Penn State, academically no less than athletically.

Reactions: aworsnup
No disputing that or the prestige of holding a degree from Stanford.
Toe-may- toe/Toe-mah-toe. Different strokes for different folks.

Remember many moons ago when we had RB Brandon Snow out of Newark, DE high- his brother- a highly rated O Lineman went to Stanford.

We have a nice combo of both high level football plus a huge Alumni Association for afterwards, but we are not anywhere close to the value of a Stanford degree and network. Their campus is almost too perfectly manicured, but the overwhelming sense I had while visiting it for 2 days years ago was: MONEY.

We'll see which way the young man goes....great position to be in. Cheers to him for clearing the admissions bar in Palo Alto.

Don't we allegedly value kids honor their commitments? He picked Stanford. It's not like he's going to Michigan and it hurts us.

Reactions: gptakba
The Hornets stung Stanford. Oh well, he can take solace in the fact that Stanford's debate team would likely handle the Hornets with ease.

Still have my fingers crossed that he'll see a bright future at Penn State, academically no less than athletically.

It is very sad that the Stanford Athletic Administration let the football program be systematically destroyed by former coach David Shaw. Shaw was a terrible head coach for years.

Reactions: LandoComando
Stanford has a lot of very, very rich alums. I'm surprised that they have not funded a top NIL kitty. Their alums have the $ to buy the very best talent. Let's not forget that the NCAA Is a pro league now.
My gut is that places like Stanford are going to hold off on the portal lottery. Even ND taking a guy like Hartman from Wake is an parrallel move and rational landing spot.

At many schools with high academic standards the football team is mostly outliers. You can literally see it at places like USC where the athletes look like giants amongst a smaller student body.

My son went to Dartmouth- which expeienced a football revival during his time there. And while there was some school pride, the team largely kept to themselves and their own fraternity/cling ons. Most of the student body could care less and saw them as relative dummies who wouldn't be there without their sport.

Same at Wake when my sister was there in the 80s. The football dorm is still a separate part of campus- isolating the team from "normal" students. Wake was not good back in those days and some fraternities would sit behind the bench clapping blocks of wood and calling their own team "block heads."

Now Dave Clawson has figured out a way to find 2/3 star players who can clear the bar academically and develop a 5 year plan for them to physically mature, learn a non traditional offense, and mostly graduate. If anything they lose their better players to the portal: QBs Newman, Hartman, RB Walker and a few WRs.

There is still a fine line between academic mission and athletic success. GREAT COACHING seems to be the equalizer. Fitz at NW, Elko at Duke, even Rice has stepped up to respectability on the field.

My gut is that places like Stanford are going to hold off on the portal lottery. Even ND taking a guy like Hartman from Wake is an parrallel move and rational landing spot.

At many schools with high academic standards the football team is mostly outliers. You can literally see it at places like USC where the athletes look like giants amongst a smaller student body.

My son went to Dartmouth- which expeienced a football revival during his time there. And while there was some school pride, the team largely kept to themselves and their own fraternity/cling ons. Most of the student body could care less and saw them as relative dummies who wouldn't be there without their sport.

Same at Wake when my sister was there in the 80s. The football dorm is still a separate part of campus- isolating the team from "normal" students. Wake was not good back in those days and some fraternities would sit behind the bench clapping blocks of wood and calling their own team "block heads."

Now Dave Clawson has figured out a way to find 2/3 star players who can clear the bar academically and develop a 5 year plan for them to physically mature, learn a non traditional offense, and mostly graduate. If anything they lose their better players to the portal: QBs Newman, Hartman, RB Walker and a few WRs.

There is still a fine line between academic mission and athletic success. GREAT COACHING seems to be the equalizer. Fitz at NW, Elko at Duke, even Rice has stepped up to respectability on the field.
One transfer of note that I saw playing in the Rice vs Houston game was the former Husker QB McCaffrey. From a family with noted academic excellence so not surprising he picked the Owls. FWIW he was playing WR...

One transfer of note that I saw playing in the Rice vs Houston game was the former Husker QB McCaffrey. From a family with noted academic excellence so not surprising he picked the Owls. FWIW he was playing WR...
This concept has me intrigued- so I looked at Duke's Depth Chart on Our Lads to see what benefit the Portal has been to them as they clearly have upped their game by beating Clemson (with a LOT of help from the Tigers):

Transfer Starters:
OT Jake Hornibrook (GR Stanford)
OG Scott Elliott (Regular Transfer Harvard)
CB Al Blades (GR Miami)
S Jeremiah Lewis (GR Northwestern)

Other Depth Grad Transfers from: Texas A&M, Dartmouth, Angelo State, Georgetown
Other Regular Transfers: Penn

So they pretty much have kept their "elite" academic focus while securing players in places of need (including 4 Offensive linemen, 2 from Ivys and 1 from Stanford the outlier being Angelo State).

I fully expect schools of that ilk to create their own conference down the road once the Wild West of realignment and TV contracts have settled. I remember arguing with Notre Dame Subway Alums years ago about how we could have guys in Parks & Rec and other more pedestrian majors while ND claimed to have only Top Scholar Athletes. The answer is simple: We are a HUGE State university with tens of thousands of students. It is a lot harder to build a DI football roster in a place that only accepts 1,000-2,000 kids per year. Same game/ different rules.

Only ND/USC and Miami may be poised to stay in whatever the pay for play mega conference becomes. We'll see...

Fitz? Wasn't he 1-11 last year?

Fitz? Wasn't he 1-11 last year?
Overall his on the field successes at NW are greater than that 1-11 year. Pending the outcomes of potential legal challenges, his record, much like a great PSU coach, will be looked over due to scandal.

Is there another coach in America who could've done what he did at NW? We will find out soon enough.

This concept has me intrigued- so I looked at Duke's Depth Chart on Our Lads to see what benefit the Portal has been to them as they clearly have upped their game by beating Clemson (with a LOT of help from the Tigers):

Transfer Starters:
OT Jake Hornibrook (GR Stanford)
OG Scott Elliott (Regular Transfer Harvard)
CB Al Blades (GR Miami)
S Jeremiah Lewis (GR Northwestern)

Other Depth Grad Transfers from: Texas A&M, Dartmouth, Angelo State, Georgetown
Other Regular Transfers: Penn

So they pretty much have kept their "elite" academic focus while securing players in places of need (including 4 Offensive linemen, 2 from Ivys and 1 from Stanford the outlier being Angelo State).

I fully expect schools of that ilk to create their own conference down the road once the Wild West of realignment and TV contracts have settled. I remember arguing with Notre Dame Subway Alums years ago about how we could have guys in Parks & Rec and other more pedestrian majors while ND claimed to have only Top Scholar Athletes. The answer is simple: We are a HUGE State university with tens of thousands of students. It is a lot harder to build a DI football roster in a place that only accepts 1,000-2,000 kids per year. Same game/ different rules.

Only ND/USC and Miami may be poised to stay in whatever the pay for play mega conference becomes. We'll see...
Interesting. Cherry picking the best players from high academic FCS schools is a great strategy for Duke. The Ivies have more NFL players than any other FCS conference (last I checked) so there’s plenty of guys there that can play in the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT