ADVERTISEMENT

If we put up stinkers to MD and/or Rutgers...

People forget we're still playing defensive players on the O Line. O Line takes time to develop as it is, and then we have players that weren't even used to playing on that side of the ball contributing. They may not be natural players at those positions and hebe a ceiling... regardless of coaching.

This isn't completely true. Dowrey only started against Buffalo because of the switch to replace Palmer with Nelson, etc. But remember that he played OL last year as well. Not only was Gaia an OL starter last year, he was also a 3 star recruit based on OL play in high school. At best, you can say he was an offensive lineman who was moved to the d-line and then returned to the o-line. Last year.

I'm no fan of Donovan and his head-scratching play calling, but I think there needs to be a spot light on Herb Hand, too. Cooking on TV, spending way too much time on Twitter and busting a rhyme does not make you a good coach.

Reactions: PSU1983PHAN
That's the point I've been making in this thread. I'm tired of sanctions being an excuse for Donovan's incompetence.
I think it remains to be seen whether Donovan is incompetent or not. The fact of the matter is that he is working with the worst offensive lines last year and this year I have seen in the over 50 years that I have been following PSU football. That is a direct result of the sanctions my friend. Unlike skill players who may be able to contribute as freshmen or redshirt freshmen, with some few exceptions, it generally takes offensive linemen 2 or 3 years to physically mature enough to compete at this level. Aside from Nelson (who is now hurt) name one other decent, let alone good, offensive lineman on this team. I can wait.

I think it remains to be seen whether Donovan is incompetent or not. The fact of the matter is that he is working with the worst offensive lines last year and this year I have seen in the over 50 years that I have been following PSU football. That is a direct result of the sanctions my friend. Unlike skill players who may be able to contribute as freshmen or redshirt freshmen, with some few exceptions, it generally takes offensive linemen 2 or 3 years to physically mature enough to compete at this level. Aside from Nelson (who is now hurt) name one other decent, let alone good, offensive lineman on this team. I can wait.

It's been brought up ad nauseum that we have more talented players at the O-Line than the likes of Bowling Green, WSU, and Temple. The problem is our O-Line coach is spending more time getting into twitter feuds and rapping then actually coaching. The O-Line didn't improve from last year and that's due to sanctions? No blame for Hand? Was there a sanction that said we can't call more than 5 plays a game like we did against Temple?

Reactions: Doc-M
Washington State moved the ball at will against Rutgers and Bowling Green torched Maryland. If we put up offensive stinkers to these 2 teams, I don't want to hear about sanctions. You can't tell me with a straight face that Bowling Green and Washington State have better talent than we do.

The sanctions are still having an impact depth wise. It is not so much that we are lacking talent, the problem is we are lacking talent ready to contribute. Evidence is at linebacker and offensive line. We have acquired some young talent at both positions, but they are not really ready to contribute at a level that would help the team. With that said, the book is certainly still out on the quality of our offensive coaching staff. Good coaches find a way to maximize strengths and minimize weakness. (And we do have some offensive strengths) I have not yet seen much evidence of this happening other than inserting Barkley into the game in the fourth quarter Saturday.

Reactions: Doc-M
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT