ADVERTISEMENT

Inside Penn State's Playbook: Diamond Formation

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020

See Link. Another deep-dive into a semi-unique formation Yurcich utilizes. The writer feels the Diamond will make the same evolutionary leap from 2022 to 2023 that Penn State's use of the T Formation did from 2021 to 2022. With Penn State's versatile TEs (even with Strange leaving) there's a lot more Yurcich can still do out of Diamond that he couldn't dream of doing at Oklahoma State. Also think Allar will be an upgrade over Clifford in this formation since the Diamond creates downfield one on one matchups for receivers.

See Link. Another deep-dive into a semi-unique formation Yurcich utilizes. The writer feels the Diamond will make the same evolutionary leap from 2022 to 2023 that Penn State's use of the T Formation did from 2021 to 2022. With Penn State's versatile TEs (even with Strange leaving) there's a lot more Yurcich can still do out of Diamond that he couldn't dream of doing at Oklahoma State. Also think Allar will be an upgrade over Clifford in this formation since the Diamond creates downfield one on one matchups for receivers.
Some really good stuff. With Yurcich genius and willingness to try just about anything…added with the tremendous offensive talent we have….next year is gonna be crazy. Might surpass the the 94 team. (Yes, I know that is sacrilegious to say)

Reactions: CaliLION79
Some really good stuff. With Yurcich genius and willingness to try just about anything…added with the tremendous offensive talent we have….next year is gonna be crazy. Might surpass the the 94 team. (Yes, I know that is sacrilegious to say)
The current talent on hand isn't on par with 08 much less 94. Not sure you want to go there with the comment on Yurcich. Thus far in his career, he has been a one trick pony. He isn't bad but isn't elite either.

The current talent on hand isn't on par with 08 much less 94. Not sure you want to go there with the comment on Yurcich. Thus far in his career, he has been a one trick pony. He isn't bad but isn't elite either.
While I agree that 94 was the best of my lifetime (I'm 57), there are some similarities, with the exceptions of qb/wr.

Last night I watched the extended highlights of the 93 Citrus Bowl 31-13 beat down of the Vols. I was feeling the same sort of excitement for next year and wanted to compare the Rose this year vs Citrus in 94 as and noticed a few things:

1) Kijana wasn't yet the star the Nick already is- at least from a media hype standpoint

2) Eventhough Collins had a full season of work, he was still wild at times with his passes

3) A seemingly critical upgrade was when Chip LaBarca went out and Freddie Scott got his snaps. Scott had a big game and made plays that LaBarca couldn't. Chip only had one short reception that they showed.

Translation to next year in my opinion:

1) Kaytron/ Nick = Carter/Archie but Milne was a big difference in 94

2) Drew has the same potential as Kerry but much less experience. There will be growing pains...hopefully against our lesser opponents. Collins was primed.

3) TE room experience/depth is on par with Brady/87 but WR is tbd. Bobby Engram was so excellent in the Citrus...abonafide star. KLS isn't in the same universe. Our other guys are unproven...and the supposed "best" isn't even on campus. Huge advantage to 94.

We can be fantastic...and our schedule 8s favorable. If we approach the 94 results it will be a great ride!

Thanks for that article. Great read.

I noticed PSU recruiting differently for TEs in the last several years. I thought it began with JoMo and figured it was his way to keep the starting 11 on the field and be able to run the majority of the playbook with the same 11 kids. In other words, the personnel package didn't give away the play that was called, plus the D couldn't change personnel. The TE can line up as a TE, catching or running, a FB, a WR and even a wildcat. These are the most versatile players on the field

In the new world, PSU has done a great job of using the TEs in this as well as the T. Not to mention some great inside-out blocking with TEs in the slot of in motion. We took two really good TEs in the last recruiting class and are heavy on more for next year. it would seem PSU has doubled down on TEs right now.

Last edited:
While I agree that 94 was the best of my lifetime (I'm 57), there are some similarities, with the exceptions of qb/wr.

Last night I watched the extended highlights of the 93 Citrus Bowl 31-13 beat down of the Vols. I was feeling the same sort of excitement for next year and wanted to compare the Rose this year vs Citrus in 94 as and noticed a few things:

1) Kijana wasn't yet the star the Nick already is- at least from a media hype standpoint

2) Eventhough Collins had a full season of work, he was still wild at times with his passes

3) A seemingly critical upgrade was when Chip LaBarca went out and Freddie Scott got his snaps. Scott had a big game and made plays that LaBarca couldn't. Chip only had one short reception that they showed.

Translation to next year in my opinion:

1) Kaytron/ Nick = Carter/Archie but Milne was a big difference in 94

2) Drew has the same potential as Kerry but much less experience. There will be growing pains...hopefully against our lesser opponents. Collins was primed.

3) TE room experience/depth is on par with Brady/87 but WR is tbd. Bobby Engram was so excellent in the Citrus...abonafide star. KLS isn't in the same universe. Our other guys are unproven...and the supposed "best" isn't even on campus. Huge advantage to 94.

We can be fantastic...and our schedule 8s favorable. If we approach the 94 results it will be a great ride!
But, but but Yurcich was hired by Franklin, therefore he is a bag of shit

The biggest difference between 94 and next year, IMHO, is that 94's O-Line was absolutely dominant. Can 2023's be? Maybe, but that's where I pump the brakes the most.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
The biggest difference between 94 and next year, IMHO, is that 94's O-Line was absolutely dominant. Can 2023's be? Maybe, but that's where I pump the brakes the most.

(Nearly)* every player on the '94 offense was drafted. Many in the 1st round. Even the subs got drafted.

Way to early to say that about '23.

Last edited:
I would add receiver. Cephus was good, not great against MAC level competition.

Freddie Scott wasn't drafted, nor was Bucky Greeley.

If 9 of our 11 offensive starters get drafted from this '23 offense when their time comes, I think we will be THRILLED with what they produce.

I'll edit the other post. Lol

If 9 of our 11 offensive starters get drafted from this '23 offense when their time comes, I think we will be THRILLED with what they produce.

I'll edit the other post. Lol

Absolutely. I think the basic point that the 1994 offense was littered with NFL talent is certainly true and it would be awesome of the 2023 team matches that. Just that the statement that you made wasn't technically correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT