ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the Den: Penn State Football News and Notes

Aug 31, 2005
State College
bwi.rivals.com
What's up guys? Everybody good?

I have a few odds and ends for you folks to nibble on this weekend that I'll probably delve into more next week and the week after. But, for the time being, just to whet your appetite, let's run through a few news and notes from Penn State football and the athletic department in general.

For clarity, this is scuttlebutt, not reportable information I'm putting out to the masses. So please, let's keep it here:

1) I talked about this earlier, but Penn State's testing has been a problem. Like I said, I've been told that as many as two weeks were needed between test and result for some within the athletic department. My impression has been that they're trying to get it worked out - possibly with the introduction of a privately contracted company that will satisfy not just athletics, but the university as a whole by increasing testing numbers - but at the moment, it's not great and must improve as this thing moves ahead.

2) Coziah Izzard is getting some buzz among the June enrollees in that true freshman class. We'll talk about more of those guys next week, but our understanding is that Izzard really looks the part. He's big, strong, hit some nice testing numbers, and his body is already starting to transform from some of that high school fat shedding and turning into solid, lean muscle. Too early to call him a green light, but don't be surprised if he makes that crowded set of defensive tackles even more interesting this preseason.

3) This kind of goes without saying, but these next two weeks might be more valuable to Penn State than many other programs just given the importance of installing Kirk Ciarrocca's offense, on the field, with a ball, even though they're playing without pads. Just given the timing of disbanding as a program due to the pandemic over spring break, the fact that they never had the chance organizationally to get out on the field and walk through the offense on a daily basis makes this that much more important before preseason camp. They're going to want to be able to really work and perfect during preseason camp, so it's critical to take the classroom, virtual learning of the spring, implement it via walkthroughs for these two weeks, and then hit the ground running on August 7.

4) Speaking of Penn State's offense. My understanding is that one of the changes from Ricky Rahne to Kirk Ciarrocca has to do with the receivers and their formations, and the flexibility that will come. I've kind of touched on this before, but Jahan Dotson, for instance, is moving back to the slot. But unlike the offense of the past few years, with a handful of standard formations that they use, and the same players in those spots on the field, they're going to have the flexibility to move the receivers around to get them earlier in the quarterbacks' progression on a more consistent basis.

5) Penn State loves its tight ends room. Get set for lots of love to be directed to Theo Johnson *and* Tyler Warren. I laid out with my look ahead at the position last week that there was a certain level of comfort that the second at the position would take care of itself behind Pat Freiermuth with either Zack Kuntz or Brenton Strange. That still holds true, but Johnson and Warren both seem to hold the potential to possibly make that more interesting and force the coaches' hands into getting them onto the field. Obviously, all this stuff is super preliminary, but it's something to keep in mind that now that both Johnson and Warren are here and working out with the program.

6) Thinking back on James Franklin's first spring in the program, and the offensive line and its nine scholarship players at the time, the offensive line is just totally transformed. Just tons of size in this new group of players, but instead of having to throw anyone into the fire right out of the gates, you can let them progress at their own pace behind a two-deep that, just about across the board, has a two that can push the one ahead of him. You've seen it at other positions, but now you're getting to the place on the offensive line that really matches the ideal of what the program is looking for in terms of having experience, talent, and depth. And, this is my own editorializing here, but it gives you the luxury of missing on a guy, because you can have a whole class that has the size you're looking for, that doesn't need pushed into action before it is ready, you let it develop and let the cream rise to the top.

7) One more Class of 2020 addition to watch is Ji'Ayir Brown. Only rated a Rivals three-star, but he could be ready to contribute right off the bat this season. Certainly, he's not in the conversation to displace any of the likes of Jaquan Brisker, Lamont Wade or Jonathan Sutherland, but our understanding is that he's coming in physically and mentally prepared for what this level of football is all about.

8) Also, Jesse Luketa is jacked. Total monster.

111314708_10157729863773198_1019687075592348299_n.jpg

That's all from me. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, post away. Enjoy your weekends, guys and gals.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News