ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the Den: Wednesday Practice News & Notes

Aug 31, 2005
State College
bwi.rivals.com
Just home from Penn State's midweek practice session at Holuba Hall. They're now two-and-a-half weeks into spring practices, with another two-and-a-half to go.

Working on notes for you guys right now, but in the meantime, check out some James Franklin post-practice video:

More details in a bit.

OK, so let's dive right in, starting with some observations from the practice period we were able to see:

- Short and sweet, it wasn't much. Penn State had only backups in working offense and defense in the time we were able to see. Sean Clifford was at QB on the offensive side of the ball with Tommy Stevens obviously still in street clothes following his announcement of a return last week.

In the brief time we were able to see Clifford work, he looked good. He had a few incompletions, at least one pass interference call against the defense directed to K.J. Hamler that would have gone for a touchdown - it was a zip of a pass, and Mark Allen had a swing pass for a TD. Clifford himself also had a designed run that might have gone for a short touchdown, though he probably would have taken a big hit in the middle of the field before reaching the goal line in a game setting. His fade pass in the corner of the end zone was a little off the mark.

It's obviously a little too early for this, but there were some distinct Trace McSorley similarities just in their style of play, even though he's got McSorley by a few pounds and inches. We'll see more of Clifford in the Blue-White Game in a few weeks, which should be a nice glimpse into Penn State's future.

This is what Franklin had to say about Clifford in describing his game after practice:

"It's been a lot but I think the reps have been good. Jake is starting to get some reps as well which has been really good. Shuster is doing a good job but I think Clifford is the guy who has the biggest opportunity right now. Where you’re probably going to see it really pay off is not really now. He’s learning right now. He’ll learn even more going through these cutups between now and the start of camp and I think you’ll really see growth between now and the start of camp. U think you’ll really see growth, that’s where I think it’ll really start to pay off for him and us.

Franklin also relayed a story that Clifford punched a bench out of anger because he missed a weight lifting session, and broke his hand. Plus one for the competitive juice, minus one for the judgment. Still, that's the type of fire Penn State has traditionally done well with at the QB position.

- Looked like Bates was getting a little run at left tackle today. Des Holmes was starting opposite him at right tackle. C.J. Thorpe at right guard. McGovern at center. Zach Simpson at left guard.

- Zack Kuntz in action for a few plays at tight end. Didn't have any targets, but Franklin said afterward he thinks he's adjusting quite well to the passing game. Run blocking might be a different story, though:

"Zack is pretty far along in the passing game as you can imagine," said Franklin. "In the run game he’s got a lot of work to do. It’s a little bit probably like when Mike Gesicki got here, who never blocked, never been in a three-point stance, never been attached to the tackle, so it’s a process. The thing that is good is we’re a little bit different stage in the program. With Mike we didn't have a whole lot of flexibility. We kind of had to throw him in there just based on numbers and depth and things like that. Now we’re in a situation if at almost every position if guys are going to contribute early it’s because they’ve earned it and beat people out at every position. He’s getting stronger, more confident, he’s a really good kid. He learns well, but yeah, the area he has to improve dramatically is in the run game and in the pass game he has to be more refined with all his routes and the details. He was just a better athlete than everybody in high school. He can really run for a kid who is legitimately 6-7."

- Franklin said Nick Scott and Garrett Taylor would be the two starting safeties if the season started tomorrow. He also said he felt good about the group as a whole this spring as it continues to shake itself out needing to replace all four starters from the secondary last year. One of the stories of last spring, Ayron Monroe, has been "missing reps" this spring, Franklin said, and wasn't factored into the competition.

Beyond that, Franklin spoke about the depth at safety:

"Then I think there is some really good competition with that next group of guys, including Lamont, Isaiah, Sutherland as you guys know we’ve had a man crush on him since he’s got here with his approach and his demeanor. Every play for him is the super bowl. It really is. Walk throughs, jog throughs, install periods, he’s locked in. We love him ,so I think all those guys are going to play. Petrishen is a guy who is really coming on for us. He had a really good winter, has had a really good spring. I know coach Banks has a lot of confidence in him right now. so it’s’s a good group. I don't think we'll make any decisions obviously until camp but if we we're playing Saturday right now it would be Garrett and Nick."

- Micah Parsons has been moved from Mike to Will. It takes a lot off his plate and he can play without thinking quite as much.

- Blake Gillikin looks like he's shaping up to handle punting and kickoffs, but is unlikely to be the team's place kicker. Right now, that honor goes to walk-on Carson Landis, but Franklin said there's no real competition to Landis. Certainly, Jake Pinegar will change that dynamic somewhat this summer.

If anything more comes to me, I'll post it here. More video and photos coming.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News