ADVERTISEMENT

Interactive map of states people are flocking/fleeing ...

Interesting study by United Van Lines with a cool interactive state map. Shows what states people are flocking to and which one fleeing.

Confirms what comedian Dave Attell used to say: Best thing to do in Ohio is get the hell out.

https://www.unitedvanlines.com/contact-united/news/movers-study-2017

From the above link:

"Americans are moving westward, flocking to the Mountain and Pacific West, while the Northeast and Midwest continue to lose residents. In 2017, more residents moved out of Illinois than any other state with 63 percent of moves being outbound. Vermont had the highest percentage of inbound migration in 2017 with nearly 68 percent of moves to and from the state being inbound. Those are the results of the United Van Lines’ 41st Annual National Movers Study, which tracks customers’ state-to-state migration patterns over the past year."

Not entirely surprising, though I would not have guessed Vermont to have the highest "inbound migration".

Per the map, New Jersey had 37% coming in and 63% going out in 2017. I was one of the 37%.

When does the shakers study come out?

One of my suppliers is outside phoenix.
He said that the PHX metro area was growing at a rate of 350k per year.
I can't imagine how that growth is managed

Well, that's customers of one moving company.... I'll take those stats with a grain of salt.

For one thing, it measures old folks, who are more likely to use a moving company. Younger ones move themselves (or get a U-haul, beer, pizza, and friends). I'm 61--and I never used a moving company.

Well, that's customers of one moving company.... I'll take those stats with a grain of salt.

For one thing, it measures old folks, who are more likely to use a moving company. Younger ones move themselves (or get a U-haul, beer, pizza, and friends). I'm 61--and I never used a moving company.
Well I live in South Carolina but when i moved from pa to az when I was in my twenties I loaded up my car, yes tv, and took off!!!!

This November will be 20 years for me in the Seattle / Bellevue area. It proved to be the best financial decision I ever made, as housing was actually quite affordable then. I saw the writing on the wall (or rather on the web), quit my stuffy job in Philly and landed out here at the start of the .com boom. Went from wearing a suit every day, to jeans, t-shirts,shorts and flip-flops in the summer. One thing I'm going to do is buy real estate in the location where Amazon locks in their HQ2 site. Even if the talent base isn't very strong there, folks will flock to that location. My money is on NC.

From the above link:

"Americans are moving westward, flocking to the Mountain and Pacific West, while the Northeast and Midwest continue to lose residents. In 2017, more residents moved out of Illinois than any other state with 63 percent of moves being outbound. Vermont had the highest percentage of inbound migration in 2017 with nearly 68 percent of moves to and from the state being inbound. Those are the results of the United Van Lines’ 41st Annual National Movers Study, which tracks customers’ state-to-state migration patterns over the past year."

Not entirely surprising, though I would not have guessed Vermont to have the highest "inbound migration".

Per the map, New Jersey had 37% coming in and 63% going out in 2017. I was one of the 37%.

When does the shakers study come out?

Ben & Jerry's, maple syrup and Bernie Sanders.

Never underestimate the laziness of Millennials.

thats-dumb.gif

This November will be 20 years for me in the Seattle / Bellevue area. It proved to be the best financial decision I ever made, as housing was actually quite affordable then. I saw the writing on the wall (or rather on the web), quit my stuffy job in Philly and landed out here at the start of the .com boom. Went from wearing a suit every day, to jeans, t-shirts,shorts and flip-flops in the summer. One thing I'm going to do is buy real estate in the location where Amazon locks in their HQ2 site. Even if the talent base isn't very strong there, folks will flock to that location. My money is on NC.

Agreeance...

If you build a development in the Phoenix area with over 150 units the government makes the developer build a primary school.

Reactions: Sharkies
Yeah that was a pretty good bet you made. My parents moved there in the mid-90s and bought a house near Northgate for under 200K.

Moved to North Carolina 20 years ago because you could not find a teaching job in PA. I do not get paid as much as a PA teacher but the opportunity here is a lot better as far as advancement goes. Made my way without having an IN with the school board

PHX's growth has been amazing for a long time. Hard to believe it's being "managed" at all. The sprawl is unbelievable but I guess desert is easy land to clear.

I was going to suggest Nashville's growth is even more impressive based on percentages since it's a smaller city to begin with. Then I checked. Boy was I wrong. PHX is ahead of Nashville at around #16 in fastest growing. But most ahead of both are all in Florida. Growth there is completely out of control. Different strokes I guess. Our winters can be tough, but their summers are downright awful!

PHX's growth has been amazing for a long time. Hard to believe it's being "managed" at all. The sprawl is unbelievable but I guess desert is easy land to clear.

I was going to suggest Nashville's growth is even more impressive based on percentages since it's a smaller city to begin with. Then I checked. Boy was I wrong. PHX is ahead of Nashville at around #16 in fastest growing. But most ahead of both are all in Florida. Growth there is completely out of control. Different strokes I guess. Our winters can be tough, but their summers are downright awful!
I did a few seconds of research as well, and I am pretty sure that 350k per year number for PHX is BS. But still growing fast.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y

You want growth. Here's growth...
https://wallethub.com/edu/fastest-growing-cities/7010/

Not sure that I understand how you can move "from" a state and have it classified as "inbound".

That's not what the sentence says. If you counted total moves in a state they would be the sum of inbound plus outbound plus intrastate. The 68% figure is NOT a percentage of a state's total moves. It's a percentage of a subset of them, specifically the inbound plus outbound subset. The inbound plus outbound phrase is to clarify that the inbound number isn't a percentage of a state's total moves. In every circumstance inbound + outbound equals 100%.

I do not get paid as much as a PA teacher but the opportunity here is a lot better as far as advancement goes. Made my way without having an IN with the school board
I hear that from many like yourself, as far back as 60 years, and not just from one specific area of the state.

I hear that from many like yourself, as far back as 60 years, and not just from one specific area of the state.
I am sure that is true I am a head football coach down here and but when that same job was open in my hometown I did not even get a call and the job went to the Superintendent step son.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT