ADVERTISEMENT

Is it true that former B1G commissioner Warren promised USC

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
that if they joined the B1G, Oregon would not receive an invite? Internet rumor. Has anyone read this from a west coast media source?

that if they joined the B1G, Oregon would not receive an invite? Internet rumor. Has anyone read this from a west coast media source?

It's all over those Facebook articles related to USC, but I've not seen anything definitive. The gist of the story is that USC wanted away from Oregon because of recruiting purposes and that they felt Oregon would fall by the wayside in realignment.

I don't think it's relevant (USC has always recruited well), but who knows with the former commissioner. Do we even know all the TV contract details yet?

Reactions: psu00
Well it’s not in writing so it’s immaterial but I highly doubt that was “promised” anyway. At most, it was probably indicated that the Big Ten had no plans to invite any other PAC-12 schools which was certainly true… until it wasn’t. USC though probably expected to have a few years to establish themselves in the Big Ten before any other additional west coast schools were invited and aren’t happy they’ll have 2 more coming in 2024.

It's all over those Facebook articles related to USC, but I've not seen anything definitive. The gist of the story is that USC wanted away from Oregon because of recruiting purposes and that they felt Oregon would fall by the wayside in realignment.

I don't think it's relevant (USC has always recruited well), but who knows with the former commissioner. Do we even know all the TV contract details yet?
Good question regarding the TV contract details.

Reactions: lazydave841
Yeah but, Tom selleck's death is all over Facebook for the 48th time.
Do you ever wonder what that would be like? You’re sitting at the kitchen table having breakfast and perusing thru your phone and you read about your death.
Worse yet, your family members who got up earlier are already in your bedroom rummaging through your belongings.

BIG10 got rid of Warren just in time. One more year and he would’ve made Larry Scott look lIke an all star.

Re: USC and Oregon… you’d think the benefits of another West Coast school would outweight whatever competitive fear USC had. Easier travel for all sports teams, regional passion, history, etc.

Do you ever wonder what that would be like? You’re sitting at the kitchen table having breakfast and perusing thru your phone and you read about your death.
Worse yet, your family members who got up earlier are already in your bedroom rummaging through your belongings.
Anti social media behavior proves that all species of fish are more intelligent than humans, including unborn fish like caviar.

Last edited:
The social media posts are amazing. The USC fans say they are the biggest brand in the Big Ten and they are going to stomp the conference beginning in 2024. And then in the next sentence they say they're big mad at Oregon joining because it will hurt their recruiting.

Tell me again about your brand 🙄🙄

The social media posts are amazing. The USC fans say they are the biggest brand in the Big Ten and they are going to stomp the conference beginning in 2024. And then in the next sentence they say they're big mad at Oregon joining because it will hurt their recruiting.

Which is why I say it probably isn't true, but it garners clicks. The march towards super conferences is in full swing and USC was at the bargaining table like "as long as you guys don't bring in Oregon, we good." Sure. Lol

This is the same USC that got physically destroyed in the PAC 12 Championship game, and then lost their bowl game against Tulane, and they did that with a Heisman Trophy qb. Let’s see how they do when they have to play in snow, freezing rain, or temperatures that are in the 20s; that should be an eye-opening experience for most of their players.

This is the same USC that got physically destroyed in the PAC 12 Championship game, and then lost their bowl game against Tulane, and they did that with a Heisman Trophy qb. Let’s see how they do when they have to play in snow, freezing rain, or temperatures that are in the 20s; that should be an eye-opening experience for most of their players.
I can't wait until they have to play in Happy Valley or even Madison in November

That's also why the playoffs should be at the higher seed. Any southern team coming north would be great.

Reactions: bison13
I can't wait until they have to play in Happy Valley or even Madison in November

That's also why the playoffs should be at the higher seed. Any southern team coming north would be great.
Just think if they have to play in weather or on field conditions like the 93 OSU and MSU games, or the 95 Michigan game, or the 08 Iowa game, or the 21 MSU game, just to name a few. I would bet that a 1/2 to 2/3 of their players never have seen a snow flake before or had to play a game in 20 degree temperatures.

Well if they lose or struggle in the Big 10 it's because Oregon took all their good recruits.

USC has no vote. They are not in the conference until next year.
You don't think USC was consulted if they had a supposed deal in place to keep Oregon out? The B!0 presidents would just say F-U USC?

Well, I guess not like USC could go back to the PAC 4. Ha, ha.

You don't think USC was consulted if they had a supposed deal in place to keep Oregon out? The B!0 presidents would just say F-U USC?

It will be interesting to see whether the four newbies get the traditional “Welcome to the Big 10” officiating that PSU initially got.

Let me see...
Like, like, the Karen brand.

Consulted? Yes. Have a vote? No.

And again, USC isn’t stupid enough to think there was no chance of UW/UO joining the Big Ten; they just didn’t expect it so soon.

Reactions: canuckhal
That’s highly possible. Haven’t we single handedly prevented PITT from joining the BIG (despite all the other schools pleading for their admission) because we feared their excellent recruiting would diminish ours.

I heard it was supposed to be ASWP, not USC, UCLA, Oregon or Washington, but PSU kept them out because they're afraid to play ASWP and take on their 150 year running National Championship streak.

It is funny to me that USC is afraid of Oregon. Why? I get the Nike money but USC has so many advantages: LA, movie stars recruiting, NIL base, tradition.

Seems funny to me, in sports, that someone doesn’t want to play the best

I actually searched for a gravestone with my name on it while on our honeymoon in Ireland. We were in SW Ireland where my last name is very common. My first name is also a typical Catholic saints name so we figured it was a layup.

One cool thing in almost any town or village there is that if you want to see the best sunset, go to the local cemetery. We found that tip to be true. I guess that some person with my name must've been an early criminal, tax collector, or traitor as we never did find one.

Oddly, when my daughter died, I felt a need to get my name etched on the family stone just beneath hers. It does provide some comfort knowing that we will be together.

It is funny to me that USC is afraid of Oregon. Why? I get the Nike money but USC has so many advantages: LA, movie stars recruiting, NIL base, tradition.

Seems funny to me, in sports, that someone doesn’t want to play the best
Yeah the Nike money is why

I heard it was supposed to be ASWP, not USC, UCLA, Oregon or Washington, but PSU kept them out because they're afraid to play ASWP and take on their 150 year running National Championship streak.
Maybe when everyone else worthwhile bolts from the ACC, they'll find it easier to win those conference titles.

Reactions: Thomas1945
Maybe when everyone else worthwhile bolts from the ACC, they'll find it easier to win those conference titles.
Ah yes, after the ACC realignment PITT will face off against mighty ELON University from North Carolina. The championship game will be played at a high school stadium somewhere on the Eastern Shore of Maryland before a sparse crowd.

Initially... 😂.... more like Infinity.
I know what you mean. I guess that I was thinking that after reply was started, at least most of the intentionally biased calls could be reversed, and they would have to begin to get creative to screw PSU, which did happen.

Reactions: step.eng69
I know what you mean. I guess that I was thinking that after reply was started, at least most of the intentionally biased calls could be reversed, and they would have to begin to get creative to screw PSU, which did happen.
And as the average slug evolves toward a higher form of life, so does the B-whatever-it-is Old Conference machine. They came up with camera malfunctions, review refs losing their eyesight long enough to miss the correct call, differential rule interpretation by Ouija board, power outages and absurd scheduling. It always has amazed me just how creative morons can be.

• Wow
Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT