ADVERTISEMENT

It's great to be the tax exempt NFL...........

katchthis

Sep 3, 2004
Last edited:
Uh, no. Until 2015, the NFL central office was tax-exempt. In that year, it voluntarily relinquished that status. Regardless, the profits made by the teams themselves have always been subject to tax.

Reactions: heckmans
I didn't say individual teams are tax exempt. Second article on the link clearly states that fact. However up until 2015 NFL office was tax exempt. So for >95% of NFL's total earnings to date have been tax exempt. Since 1997, Stadium funding of 5.4 billion dollars in tax dollars have been used to build stadiums. Since 1997, $4 billion in tax breaks on the bonds used to fund stadiums.

I didn't say individual teams are tax exempt. Second article on the link clearly states that fact. However up until 2015 NFL office was tax exempt. So for >95% of NFL's total earnings to date have been tax exempt. Since 1997, Stadium funding of 5.4 billion dollars in tax dollars have been used to build stadiums. Since 1997, $4 billion in tax breaks on the bonds used to fund stadiums.
Why I don't watch or follow pro sports other than golf.

welfare kings

Welfare is taking money from other people via taxation.

Keeping the money you earn by tax avoidance is NOT welfare, no matter how much you wish it was.

Only a completely intellectually dishonest person pretends not to see the difference.

And? If you look at the numbers, sometimes the NFL office makes money, other times it loses. Whatever the numbers are, cumulatively they don't run into billions or tens of billions that people think of as total revenue that the teams collectively make, which, again, is subject to tax..

While I think that municipalities subsidizing franchise owners, who do pay tax on their earnings, is foolish and irresponsible, that issue is unrelated to whether those franchises pay federal tax, which they do.

Reactions: SmithtonLion

Keeping the money you earn by tax avoidance is NOT welfare, no matter how much you wish it was.

Only a completely intellectually dishonest person pretends not to see the difference.

So then you have no intellectual difficulty with Obama care Premium Tax Credits?

So then you have no intellectual difficulty with Obama care Premium Tax Credits?

There are two areas where the "credit" is wrong.

1. Some people pay no taxes, but still get the "credit". This is welfare. If words are to have meanings, you cannot call it anything else.

2. People who earn above a certain income are not eligible for the credit. This is essentially redistribution, and as such, always wrong.

The right way to deal with the problem is to have no government involvement whatsoever. No taxes, no credits, no mandates, no nothing.

1aquote-carlin-conservatives.jpg

George is fighting a strawman.

I am simply saying that it is wrong to take money from Bill Gates and to give it to a poor ex-army veteran.

Gates earned it, and no matter how much I think his politics are insane, it is his. Not mine. And if we are Americans, it is his to do with his money as he sees fit.

And certainly not yours.

Carlin jus wrong with his premise (if the dead can be anything for argument's sake). Not GIVING anything to 'rich'. Keeping what they have earned allows them the option of investing, creating jobs, etc.

Isn't that exactly what the NFL owners do? Force cities to use taxpayer money to build stadiums or they will move somewhere else

Why don't these billionaires use their own money instead of relying on taxpayers

Isn't that exactly what the NFL owners do? Force cities to use taxpayer money to build stadiums or they will move somewhere else

Why don't these billionaires use their own money instead of relying on taxpayers

Well, not quite the same thing.

NFL owners have something that's extremely valuable to a city official - an NFL franchise. It gets the city a lot of value in terms of revenue, attention, etc.

It isn't like the welfare recipient who adds nothing of value and only takes.

But I do vote against levies for sports teams, extracurricular activities, etc.

There are two areas where the "credit" is wrong.

1. Some people pay no taxes, but still get the "credit". This is welfare. If words are to have meanings, you cannot call it anything else.

2. People who earn above a certain income are not eligible for the credit. This is essentially redistribution, and as such, always wrong.

The right way to deal with the problem is to have no government involvement whatsoever. No taxes, no credits, no mandates, no nothing.

It's still tax avoidance when individuals are able to avail themselves of it, so why do you have an issue with it? Don't bother answering; rhetorical question.

It's still tax avoidance when individuals are able to avail themselves of it, so why do you have an issue with it? Don't bother answering; rhetorical question.

Why do I have an issue with it? Cause I don't believe in redistributive taxes.

Note: If you pay no taxes and get a tax credit, that is NOT a tax avoidance, it is welfare.

Why do I have an issue with it? Cause I don't believe in redistributive taxes.

Note: If you pay no taxes and get a tax credit, that is NOT a tax avoidance, it is welfare.

So someone needs to pay no taxes in order for the benefit they received from a tax credit to be deemed welfare? Stick to engineering because you suck at economics (and .accounting and finance).

So someone needs to pay no taxes in order for the benefit they received from a tax credit to be deemed welfare? Stick to engineering because you suck at economics (and .accounting and finance).

It is definitely welfare if you pay less tax than the credit you receive. That's indisputable.

That doesn't mean that it is NOT welfare if you pay $2000 in taxes, but get a $1500 Obamacare credit.

The right principle is to reduce the amount of government spending to an absolute minimum (no federal involvement in healthcare included), then tax that amount in the fairest way possible. The definition of fairest can be debated.

It is definitely welfare if you pay less tax than the credit you receive. That's indisputable.

That doesn't mean that it is NOT welfare if you pay $2000 in taxes, but get a $1500 Obamacare credit.

The right principle is to reduce the amount of government spending to an absolute minimum (no federal involvement in healthcare included), then tax that amount in the fairest way possible. The definition of fairest can be debated.

Pffft. Idiot, but we knew that already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT