ADVERTISEMENT

it's time to get rid of Greco Roman!!!!!!!

Just another PSU Fan

Jan 25, 2013
if you stayed to the last match Saturday night at the BJC - you should have told your mum to pick you up earlier

Greco Roman needs to be eliminated

Team USA top women are outstanding wrestlers - keep the 6 weights, that works out well

I'm fairly certain that 15000 fans who left the building after Taylor / Brooks is definitely in agreement ... if Taylor won the 2nd match, nobody would have left the building ... get over your logic that GRECO is wrestling

Reactions: mcpat
Greco Roman is popular and legitimately bigger than freestyle in many countries, we can't just ignore them because USA doesn't invest in it.
This. Greco was part of the deal that kept wrestling alive.

Also, let's tell the USA Greco guys that we don't care about their dreams.

Not everybody has to like it. We don't have to fall in love, just fall in line.

I stayed to the bitter end. The Coon vs Schultz match was pretty interesting--it "helped" that 2 dudes were heckling the HELL out of Schultz at the top of their lungs right behind me. Made the guy who yelled at JB seem like a mouse. It was pretty entertaining until I realized they were Michigan Men.

I'd like to understand the hand-fighting chess-match enough to give greco its due, but I'm not sure how I do that, short of watching a whole lot of it until it starts to sink in.

Greco obviously has the best highlights but I get why many think its boring, it's very difficult to launch top guys who know you only can upper body throw them. It basically becomes a sumo match and par terre contest.

The complaints from Greco I feel largely have to do with the american style of greco wrestling. The top guys in the world are more entertaining and other countries have their best athletes doing greco which often is not the case in the US. Also greco is fun to compete in and getting rid of it at the top level takes that away from kids

Reactions: bourbon n blues
What's the Joe Rau story??
I've seen bits and pieces but not how he was screwed over so bad that their was a lawsuit??

Greco obviously has the best highlights but I get why many think its boring, it's very difficult to launch top guys who know you only can upper body throw them. It basically becomes a sumo match and par terre contest.
I'll bet you Bo would be great at Greco, if he trained at it with his launching capabilities. He is so explosive, when he gets after it.

The complaints from Greco I feel largely have to do with the american style of greco wrestling. The top guys in the world are more entertaining and other countries have their best athletes doing greco which often is not the case in the US. Also greco is fun to compete in and getting rid of it at the top level takes that away from kids
How true is the following statement?:

Generally, the guys competing for the USA Greco team are wrestling Greco because they weren't as successful in freestyle.

I'm sure that's not 100% accurate, but my feeling is it's more accurate than not.

Throw in the fact that many (not all) of the Greco wrestlers are not well known (less successful college careers, etc.), the interest is going to be low.

I need to go back and see how many 1-1 double passivity GR matches there were. It felt like all of them could have been. Most boring thing I’ve ever seen.

Here's an idea, if you don't like something, don't watch it. Why piss on something that others enjoy? Be grateful that a sport with a relatively small fan base is televised at all.

I stayed to the bitter end. The Coon vs Schultz match was pretty interesting--it "helped" that 2 dudes were heckling the HELL out of Schultz at the top of their lungs right behind me. Made the guy who yelled at JB seem like a mouse. It was pretty entertaining until I realized they were Michigan Men.

I'd like to understand the hand-fighting chess-match enough to give greco its due, but I'm not sure how I do that, short of watching a whole lot of it until it starts to sink in.
Seems sort of like Judo and Sumo mushed together.

Here's an idea, if you don't like something, don't watch it. Why piss on something that others enjoy? Be grateful that a sport with a relatively small fan base is televised at all.
I think that's kinda the point here. Most of us don't watch it and don't offer an opinion normally. When people are forced to watch something in which they have no interest, you're going to get these types of reactions.

The inconvenient truth about Greco

1). The throws can be spectacular
2). 90% of matches have no spectacular throws
3). Generally speaking Greco is populated with second tier wrestlers who could not compete at Free (sorry but true).
4). The most famous Greco match in history was only entertaining because of the unbeatable legend who lost. The actual match was mostly a typical snooze fest.
5). For all of criticism that Free receives here, Greco is in another universe - and not in a good way

Solution:
1). Keep Greco worlds as is, and where it belongs
2). For the overall benefit of wrestling as a sport, eliminate Greco from the Olympics with the provision Freestyle goes back to 10 weight classes.

The inconvenient truth about Greco

1). The throws can be spectacular
2). 90% of matches have no spectacular throws
3). Generally speaking Greco is populated with second tier wrestlers who could not compete at Free (sorry but true).
4). The most famous Greco match in history was only entertaining because of the unbeatable legend who lost. The actual match was mostly a typical snooze fest.
5). For all of criticism that Free receives here, Greco is in another universe - and not in a good way

Solution:
1). Keep Greco worlds as is, and where it belongs
2). For the overall benefit of wrestling as a sport, eliminate Greco from the Olympics with the provision Freestyle goes back to 10 weight classes.
Also - focusing on it is pretty detrimental to folk and free development, it's just a different sport, it looks closer to judo than wrestling sometimes. A lot of people forget Mason Manville was a spectacular free/folk wrestling prospect but he was solely focused on making Greco senior teams which caused him to regress.

A lot of people forget Mason Manville was a spectacular free/folk wrestling prospect but he was solely focused on making Greco senior teams which caused him to regress.
Regress? It always seemed to me more a matter of him peaking with early “man strength” but not developing what he needed from a technique standpoint to stay at that level. Whether or not that was because he was focused on Greco I dunno. It does seem like a different specialization.

They have made a few small steps to help it out such as putting the guys in par terre more often, but it still needs more revision.

Yeah, but some of us were there and had to pay for and sit through hours of one match at a time GR matches to see the few freestyle matches we we wanted to see.

I’ll put it this way: if the Olympic trials are in this format again, I will not attend beyond session 1 and maybe session 3. They made this paying customer not want to go again.

I'll bet you Bo would be great at Greco, if he trained at it with his launching capabilities. He is so explosive, when he gets after it.

Based on some of the epic battles they had I always thought Cenzo and Bull would have done great in Greco.

Reactions: creamery freak
I can see why most fans don’t like it but High level greco is great to watch if you understand it. It’s a brutal fight for every inch. USA doesn’t spend enough time, money or effort into it. The USA was on the move years ago when Ivanov was in charge.

From my personal experience, I would have preferred to not have GR wrestled this weekend w/ FS, it made for some long stretches each session in which I had little viewing interest. Or maybe different sessions for the different styles? The general vibe I got around me in section 208 was much of the same. Does not mean I do not respect the athletes, just was not my cup of tea. Could have a lot to do with it being in State College where folk and free are king.

Also - focusing on it is pretty detrimental to folk and free development, it's just a different sport, it looks closer to judo than wrestling sometimes. A lot of people forget Mason Manville was a spectacular free/folk wrestling prospect but he was solely focused on making Greco senior teams which caused him to regress.
Forgot about him. Did he compete?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT